Groups
    EXPIRED

Any Gas Fire Fitters Out There? - Fireplace install - How Much?

Hi All,

I'm going to have my GAS fire fitted, and was wondering how much do you think it should cost me..

Bascily, I need the hole knocking out a bit deeper (where the fireplace sits) and then gas fire fitted. Also some platering needs doing around the edges.

Now, I've had lots of differnt quotes, ranging from £50 to £500

I had a guy in yesterday, and he quoted £450 for everying inc matrials.
    He said he would have to run a gas check to see if my pipes were made out of lead (if they were the job goes up to £1,000)

Does anyone know if this is a far price? what should I be paying for a gas fire to be fitted?
    I dont want to get ripped off, but at the same time dont want some cowboy in doing a rubish job.

Thanks to those who can shed some light.

14 Comments

make sure they're registered http://www.scottishlandlords.com/Files/Image/GasSafeRegisterLogo.jpg

Knock the hole bigger yourself, It will reduce the cost :thumbsup:

I would think a job like that should cost about £150 to £200, I think you should not be really paying more.

Original Poster

lil_tiger;6484402

make sure they're registered

Yeah the guy I had in yesterday was Gas Safe.
    The others claimed to also be Gas Safe, however they quoted me £50 for the job, where as this guy quoted me £500? somthing is obviously a miss here

Original Poster

jon1000jon;6484408

Knock the hole bigger yourself, It will reduce the cost :thumbsup:

Yeah thought about this, but not sure how deep the hole should b, or how much to remove etc..

Tanchi;6484410

Yeah the guy I had in yesterday was Gas Safe.The others claimed to also … Yeah the guy I had in yesterday was Gas Safe.The others claimed to also be Gas Safe, however they quoted me £50 for the job, where as this guy quoted me £500? somthing is obviously a miss here

well they're all meant to have cards with ID numbers on them....ask for their card, take the number and search it ]online apparently it comes up with a pic (not sure) so you can tell if they're registered or not.

Ofcourse if they make excuses for the card/number then I wouldnt trust them :whistling:

just realised you can also search your post code on the same site to find registered businesses

I would say probably £200+ based on the fact it costs £70 gfew years back to have cooker installed and all taht is is clip on a pipe making sure cooker level. And then doing a 2 minute test. 10 mins work max.

£50 is defo cowboy and run a mile

Tanchi;6484413

Yeah thought about this, but not sure how deep the hole should b, or how … Yeah thought about this, but not sure how deep the hole should b, or how much to remove etc..

mesure the depth of the fire and knock out what you think once you done that place the fire inside and check your handy work. :thumbsup:

if it need more removing get the elbow grease out.

I paid £200 for a similar job a few years ago.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I may get a few more quotes.

Everyone reped.

Had a hole in the wall fitted 3 months ago, parts and labour cost £200.00. If you are based near liverpool will give you the number.
    Dont pay £50 as he will be a cowboy and you may get poisoned of the fire.

Banned

why ask if £450 is a fair price when you have had someone saying they will do it for £50?

£450 sounds ridiculous for a couple of hours work

just pay £50 after the job is done to your satisfaction and ensure that fitter is gas safe registered

check here and report them if they are not registered

gassaferegister.co.uk/

csiman;6485109

why ask if £450 is a fair price when you have had someone saying they … why ask if £450 is a fair price when you have had someone saying they will do it for £50?£450 sounds ridiculous for a couple of hours work

It doesn't take a couple of hours that's why.

Id love to see someone knock the wall out, plaster, fit the fire, do a gas soundness test, test the fire, perform a spillage test and come in at 120 minutes.

Without seing the actual job it's very difficult to give a price to be honest, depends on a number of things.

Has there bee a gas fire in this opening/chimney before? Has the flue been tested? is there a gas pipe already in place at the fireplace?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?30135
    2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio33
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846164
    4. What do these 2 men have in common68

See more discussions