Any gas fitters on here?

What size is the O ring on a cooker bayonet fitting? Not sure mines sealing properly.

28 Comments

Use hammer to knock it together :thumbsup: and stick some super-glue around the edges for some peace of mind ;-)

Now dont say I never offer any help

put some soapy water around the joint, turn the gas back on and if it bubbles it is leaking, dont mess around sorting it your self get some one local to pop in, you can also call transco to check just say you smell gas

Banned

sosolidpoo;6957694

you can also call transco to check just say you smell gas

won't they charge to fix any problems inside your house though?

They wont fix any problems, if they find a leak they will just cap off the meter.

lumoruk;6957706

won't they charge to fix any problems inside your house though?

no they wont fix anything, they will just check to make sure your appliances are safe, if they find a leak they will just cut the gas to the appliance, to make safe, this is a free service

They wont even look at the appliances, they will do a drop test on the meter and if it leaks they cap off the meter. They have no interest in where the leak is.

pinkleponkle;6957755

They wont even look at the appliances, they will do a drop test on the … They wont even look at the appliances, they will do a drop test on the meter and if it leaks they cap off the meter. They have no interest in where the leak is.

sound like nob heads by you, pretty descent around by me will check and cap appliances only, have done one yesterday and the transco fella just capped the cooker but left gas on

Original Poster

Anyway I don't want it capped anywhere as that will be a damn sight more expensive than a push in O ring :lol:

I'm 99% sure it is ok but the ring looks a bit 'shrunken'. Time for a candle test maybe

sosolidpoo;6957694

you can also call transco to check just say you smell gas

Bad advice, they will just come round and cut you off.

Then you need to pay a corgi registered engineer to turn it back on

im pretty sure your not allowed to mess about with gas fittings as youd be liable for your actions if there was worse case scenario an explosion and other were injured youd be off to jail my friend

do as others have suggest get transco out if they find a leak at least they willmake it safe until you have someone qualified to look at it

corgi has now gone you need someoneon the gas safe register now

Starr;6957875

Bad advice, they will just come round and cut you off.Then you need to … Bad advice, they will just come round and cut you off.Then you need to pay a corgi registered engineer to turn it back on

Not bad advise, LIFE OR SAVE MONEY, i no which one i would take

sosolidpoo;6957939

Not bad advise, LIFE OR SAVE MONEY, i no which one i would take

It is bad advice. you said call transco out for free, implying they will do something about it.

If the OP is concerrned then call an gas engineer out, no point going down the transco route unless a serious problem.

They will only cut you off

jamstaruk1972;6957884

corgi has now gone you need someoneon the gas safe register now

Elaborate please. Corgi has been around many years :? Is it not used anymore?

sosolidpoo;6957694

put some soapy water around the joint, turn the gas back on and if it … put some soapy water around the joint, turn the gas back on and if it bubbles it is leaking, dont mess around sorting it your self get some one local to pop in, you can also call transco to check just say you smell gas

TRANSCO JUST WRAP DONT USE CAUTION FEAR OF EXPLOSION RUN FOR YOUR LIVES TAPE OVER EVERYTHING GIVE YOU A NUMBER OF A MATE WHO WILL RIP YOU OFF TO TURN EVERYTHING BACK ON EXPIRIENCE:thumbsup:
FIND A LOCAL PLUMBER AND GET QUOTES DONT USE A HUGE COMPANY

Starr;6957972

Elaborate please. Corgi has been around many years :? Is it not used … Elaborate please. Corgi has been around many years :? Is it not used anymore?

Corgi and now called Gas Safe.

Shenghis, sure you know about this, but it's illegal for you to work on these pipes mate. :lol:

Starr;6957972

Elaborate please. Corgi has been around many years :? Is it not used … Elaborate please. Corgi has been around many years :? Is it not used anymore?

gassaferegister.co.uk/abo…spx?_$ja=kw:corgi|cgn:01.+Goodbye+Corgi|cgid:1250718272|tsid:13549|cn:Awareness|cid:39526532|lid:11608860|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:3678864542|bku:1&gclid=CPHH_PConJ4CFUgA4wodRk1F1g

There is only one gas safety register that you need to use. Look for the yellow Gas Safe Register triangle not the orange CORGI registration badge.

Anyone carrying out work on gas must be registered with Gas Safe Register. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk.

Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is legally allowed to install gas appliances, boilers, hobs, ovens or fires in your home or workplace.

You must only use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any type of gas work, including installation, maintenance and servicing

jamstaruk1972;6958094

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/what_is_the_gas_safe_register.aspx?_$ja=kw:corgi|cgn:01.+Goodbye+Corgi|cgid:1250718272|tsid:13549|cn:Awareness|cid:39526532|lid:11608860|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:3678864542|bku:1&gclid=CPHH_PConJ4CFUgA4wodRk1F1gThere is only one gas safety register that you need to use. Look for the yellow Gas Safe Register triangle not the orange CORGI registration badge.Anyone carrying out work on gas must be registered with Gas Safe Register. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk.Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is legally allowed to install gas appliances, boilers, hobs, ovens or fires in your home or workplace.You must only use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any type of gas work, including installation, maintenance and servicing

Thanks repped.

Did not know all that happened :w00t:

Banned

saying all this I removed my gas oven 2yrs ago and just left the pipe as it is

I then installed my electric oven and extended the 10mm cable down from the cupboard where it had been cut.

how much money did I save? enough to pay for the oven I reckon

Original Poster

moob;6958089

Shenghis, sure you know about this, but it's illegal for you to work on … Shenghis, sure you know about this, but it's illegal for you to work on these pipes mate. :lol:

Not sure that's true in this case. Illegal to fit a new pipe to a new cooker definitely is, but not sure on just unplugging one to clean behind it and plugging it back in? Surely that was the initial aim when they switched over from fixed piping to the bayonet system?

Anyway, when did you ever know me to care about such things :lol:

Banned

Shengis;6958863

Not sure that's true in this case. Illegal to fit a new pipe to a new … Not sure that's true in this case. Illegal to fit a new pipe to a new cooker definitely is, but not sure on just unplugging one to clean behind it and plugging it back in? Surely that was the initial aim when they switched over from fixed piping to the bayonet system?Anyway, when did you ever know me to care about such things :lol:

Yeah the stop on the end of ours is a bayonet...are they safe? it looked post 1970's :whistling:

realise now it was really stupid of me

Original Poster

To put this all in perspective all I want is the O ring as shown in this picture....

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/77542.jpg

I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the o ring. If it's split maybe, but if it's all in one piece it will be fine.

I have never known a bayonet fitting to fail.

Just buy another fitting they are about £4, but what makes you think it's leaking in the first place? You smelling gas? Just turn the gas supply off to the boiler/gas fires etc. Have a look on the dial on the gas meter and note it's position, leave everything off for an hour and have another look. If it aint budged you are just fine. You could tell in a couple of minutes if you had a manometer.

Original Poster

pinkleponkle;6959733

I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the o ring. If it's split … I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the o ring. If it's split maybe, but if it's all in one piece it will be fine.I have never known a bayonet fitting to fail.Just buy another fitting they are about £4, but what makes you think it's leaking in the first place? You smelling gas? Just turn the gas supply off to the boiler/gas fires etc. Have a look on the dial on the gas meter and note it's position, leave everything off for an hour and have another look. If it aint budged you are just fine. You could tell in a couple of minutes if you had a manometer.

Yeah but then i've got to get a qualified person to fit it :whistling:

Btw I did try that meter thing first off and the needle didn't move for half an hour so I figure it's fine, but would still like to replace the ring.

You arent allowed to change parts of a gas fitting, only the whole thing

I read the title completely wrong then! :whistling:

Dude if in doubt buy a new bayonet fitting and just replace like for like,or pay a tonne or something for a plumber to fit it.

Put washing up liquid on the fitting to test for leaks, if it bubbles .....................................run:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Weekly game codes giveaway 18311
    2. Sad news about Barcelona812
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213607
    4. Better watch out for these...1118

See more discussions