EXPIRED

Any genuine Wii games dangerous to use on modded Wii? (& other modded advice)

I've heard that Mario Galaxy will burn your mod-chip over time. Is this true? Are there any other genuine Wii or Gamecube games that you shouldn't use on a modded Wii? I'm not talking about downloaded games, but the genuine discs. Any thoughts, info, links etc appreciated.

Also, for those with modded Wii's who are afraid of bricking it (in both senses - lol), perhaps this thread could be used for other general advice too?

11 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry - wrong forum - should be misc - will report to mods :oops:

moved to Misc.

Original Poster

Thanks edi - & sorry to have been careless.

Banned

I always followed this rule when i had my modded wii -

1. Always update wirelessly first

2. When updated with teh latest firmaware, update using only PAL download games and you should be safe! I never updated using NTSC discs as thats when problems are caused!

Original Poster

king1gazza;2225231

I always followed this rule when i had my modded wii - 1. Always update … I always followed this rule when i had my modded wii - 1. Always update wirelessly first 2. When updated with teh latest firmaware, update using only PAL download games and you should be safe! I never updated using NTSC discs as thats when problems are caused!

Yes, what about regular games though (not downloaded) - ever heard of a problem using discs? My brother has a modded PAL Wii and has just signed up for 3 months unlimited games from Lovefilm. He doesn't have a wireless connection so his Wii is stuck on the firmware he got with it. Think it's up to date though

Banned

i think as long as they are originals he should be fine still think he should only update using PAL originals aswell

Original Poster

king1gazza;2225698

i think as long as they are originals he should be fine still think he … i think as long as they are originals he should be fine still think he should only update using PAL originals aswell

Thanks. Have you heard the Mario Galaxy rumour though? I read on several places that it disables the wiikey over time. Is this a myth? I'd love to hear from someone who has a modded wii and has been using an original copy on it. Even though this rumour may not be true, I will advise my brother not to take the chance until I can clarify the sitaution.

Banned

Yeah it is veyr unlikely the game will disable the chip however as said above future updates could lead to them dsiabling it. But i'm pretty sure you can play normal orginals fine and it won't harm the chip

Original Poster

dcx_badass;2225780

That's a load of rubbish. How would it do it? They're designed to play … That's a load of rubbish. How would it do it? They're designed to play original games, so no an original game will not break it(a future update could disable the mod chip), but plaing SMG won't break it.

king1gazza;2225852

Yeah it is veyr unlikely the game will disable the chip however as said … Yeah it is veyr unlikely the game will disable the chip however as said above future updates could lead to them dsiabling it. But i'm pretty sure you can play normal orginals fine and it won't harm the chip

I'd still like to get some evidence to make a decision one way of the other. Several people on other forums have claimed SMG is able to do this - I'll try and find links again so youi can read what they say...

So far as Im aware, there has been no problems such as this.
The only things that spring to my mind, are that you may have problems using an official copy of wii fit using a PIC based chip (I think), and that some wiikey owners had problems running an official copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl in the US.
In both cases, the official games disks wouldnt run properly on a modded wii, but did absolutely no harm to the console.

i dont understand how threads like this can be allowed as a modded wii im not sure itself if thats 100% legal or not but you do this to play copied games which if im correct is 100% against the law
i dont no it might just be me but i dont understand why the mods don't ban stuff like this as it sorta promotes crime!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
    2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
    3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions