Any good companies for big Raffle prizes??

Found 14th Oct 2012
To cut a long story short our little 2 year old boy passed away earlier this year to a very rare blood disorder. There is a research charity but it receives no money from the Government so we are trying to raise money (and the profile) of the charity. So far we have raised just over £3000 from funeral collections and a picnic in his memory.

For the picnic we invited friends and family to our parents house (as they have a big garden!) to play games, buy cakes and ran a raffle. It was a great afternoon and raised over £1600. With this in mind we are deciding whether to make it a bigger event and open it to the public. If we did this we would also run a big Raffle with some big prizes that will attract people!

So my question is has anyone approached nationwide businesses with any success, if so which ones? One that springs to mind would be a hot air ballon ride from Virgin. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The charity is hrtrust.org. If we do it then it will be a properly licenced raffle and printed tickets listings the top few prizes (hence needing an idea if we can get big prizes before deciding to plan it). It would be in July/August 2013.

Thank you
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
Sorry to hear about your son. Your doing great work OP. My heart goes out to you.

Sorry but I can't answer your question.
You're best creating a standard letter to send/email to all business and sports teams within your area, explain that you're about and what you're trying to do. We do this at work every year for our Family Fun Day in Aide of Bluebell Wood.

Write to:
Cinema's
Restaurants
Football/Hockey/Rugby Teams
Local Gym's and swimming centres
and activity centres's
Advise em that anything that can donate is welcome, even if its a discount voucher.........(We dont usually get much from supermarkets though)

Oh I know it may be cheeky as well BUT try and target friend who know ppl that own buinesses....no matter how small.

Hope everything goes well

whatsThePoint

i'm sure big companies get asked to supply prizes all the time, your best … i'm sure big companies get asked to supply prizes all the time, your best bet would be to start ringing/visiting local shops/businesses and asking them

I agree, that is exactly what we did this year and support was good. I think having 3 big prizes would help sell more tickets. Like balloon ride, big food hamper and weekend away in a cottage. WIll still get local companies to support for game prizes etc.
you could try contacting insurance companies like Liverpool Victoria although better if you were a member.They do have a hardship fund,not that we were sucessfull in doing anything with them.What about the big banls or building societies they need to update their profiles with a bit of sponsorship of worthy causes.Co-op can be good for sponsorship too.
Best of luck and condolences too
Contact local sports teams, zoo's, safari parks, hotels, restaurants, etc.... It is easier to work with local businesses for charity events.

Also get the local press involved.
Where are you based op?
Contact betting shops.

When I was trying to raise funds so that i could afford to compete for GB i held a raffle.
Paddy power donated signed pool/snooker cues and free bets.

They have a large amount of free things that no one asks for, i'm sure they would be more than happy to help.
Lulu'sMammy

Where are you based op?

South Lincolnshire.

Betting shops sound like a good idea that I wouldn't have thought of, thank you.

Good thought about saving £2 a week but I am already planning to put money in for the venue hire/marquee etc with the idea that if it all goes wrong on the day because of weather or something then it is me who has lost not the charity. So if I start paying out for raffle prizes aswell then maybe I should forget it and just donate £500 direct.

I was thinking of 5000 tickets. We managed to sell about 1500 this year just going around work/friends/family in the week or two beforehand. So getting/selling 5000 tickets from 3 months before doesn't sound too bad.

Alternatively if poeple have any other ideas that have raised a lot of money? My wife was looking at a skydive as she is scared of heights (but willing to go through it to raise money in memory of our beautiful son). But a couple of weeks ago 2 skydivers got tangled up with one dieing at our local aitfield so that has put her off for the timebeing.
Really sorry to hear of your loss Scholesy, and good on you for raising funds and awareness.
Contact your Local Argos, WHSmiths, Wilkinsons etc, I found they are great in giving out prizes in aid of a good cause.
Also contact the big toy manufacturers Tomy, Hasbro, Lego etc I have used them in the past and we got some great items donated.
If you have an online donation scheme thingy, like justgiving or similar I would love to donate
geegee-pinata

Really sorry to hear of your loss Scholesy, and good on you for raising … Really sorry to hear of your loss Scholesy, and good on you for raising funds and awareness.Contact your Local Argos, WHSmiths, Wilkinsons etc, I found they are great in giving out prizes in aid of a good cause.Also contact the big toy manufacturers Tomy, Hasbro, Lego etc I have used them in the past and we got some great items donated.If you have an online donation scheme thingy, like justgiving or similar I would love to donate

Thank you for your great ideas. It would be fitting to have some toys as prizes. That is the reason we like the idea of running 'Oliver's Picnic' again as it was perfect for kids/families and something he would have liked!

Our next event is a local 'Santa Fun Run' and have just set up the Just giving website as there will be about a dozen of us collecting/running.

http://www.justgiving.com/OliverScholes

Or you donate direct through the charity website www.HRTrust.org

Thank you your your kind words and support at this difficult time.
I'm sure op won't mind me saying that I'm also taking part in the fun run and raising money as Oliver was my godson and the family is very close to me and mine.

If anyone does feel like donating then you can rest assured it will be going to a great cause who will hopefully go some way to prevent what has happened happening to other families.
Just donated Scholesy, not much but every little helps and I think its a great thing you guys are doing
geegee-pinata

Just donated Scholesy, not much but every little helps and I think its a … Just donated Scholesy, not much but every little helps and I think its a great thing you guys are doing

Thank you very much, it honestly means a lot to me.
No probs, let us know how you get on with the companies
Am so sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine how you feel, it's so wonderful of you to raise money for this charity, have just made a small donation, wish it could've been more,

My sister does a charity event every year, she has had very good responses from Asda, a local country house hotel, spa's & a local self catering cottage company, so try contacting places like that within your area. She also asked local radio to get involved, they go to the actual event itself & do a small broadcast & the presenter does something on the day, last year he had wet sponges thrown at him, the year before he ran the silent auction, when companies realised that local radio & press was involved, more wanted to take part & the items became larger in value.
wishihadadonkey

Am so sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine how you feel, it's so … Am so sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine how you feel, it's so wonderful of you to raise money for this charity, have just made a small donation, wish it could've been more,My sister does a charity event every year, she has had very good responses from Asda, a local country house hotel, spa's & a local self catering cottage company, so try contacting places like that within your area. She also asked local radio to get involved, they go to the actual event itself & do a small broadcast & the presenter does something on the day, last year he had wet sponges thrown at him, the year before he ran the silent auction, when companies realised that local radio & press was involved, more wanted to take part & the items became larger in value.

Thank you for the donation, that is really thoughtful. My wife works for the local newspaper so should be able to drum up interest. That is why I want a decent official raffle to help. Like you say once they know there will be media coverage it could grow quite nicely.

Maybe I need Melinda messenger to go into big stores and say 'Can I have this £10,000 item.....oh and I have no money' like show does on cowboy builders! (_;)
I have made a directory of companies that have donated prizes to me in the past but it is too big to post and HotUkDeals won't let me link to a personal blog.

There's a link on my twitter page: @theFreeWealth

Mostly from my experience local companies are by far the most likely to donate, although they do tend to be smaller prizes.
Raising funds for a church that ministers to the LGBT community in and around Newcastle and adjoining counties. Does anyone know who would donate raffle prizes we are a registered charity
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants