Groups

Any guitarists out there?

Restringing a guitar and have bought replacement (same as fitted) strings.

Do you need to replace all 6 if only one is broken or is it ok to just replace the one?

Ta.

9 Comments

Just the one is fine.

It's ok to replace the one. Do you know how old the strings that are on it are? If they are not old, replace the one, but if they are old, or you don't know, then I would suggest that you replace them all :thumbsup:

Banned

If other strings are in good nick then 1 replacing the borken 1 is fine

I woould change the whole lot, you might end up twisting the neck if the new string is a different gauge or tension. I always change the whole set when i break one.

If you replace them all, replace them one by one, so you never have less than 5 strings on the guitar - don't just take them all off in one go and put them back on one by one. If you take them all off at once the neck bends back to its natural position and you have to wind the strings all the way back up to get it to its tuned position, which I always think adds extra strain on the neck.

Original Poster

Cheers for the replies, went with the one. Strings were not that old.

Never realised about the keeping as many strings on to stop twist though. Thanks.

I'd buy a new guitar, save the hassle

Tdrtnlz;8148995

If you replace them all, replace them one by one, so you never have less … If you replace them all, replace them one by one, so you never have less than 5 strings on the guitar - don't just take them all off in one go and put them back on one by one. If you take them all off at once the neck bends back to its natural position and you have to wind the strings all the way back up to get it to its tuned position, which I always think adds extra strain on the neck.

Spot on advice :thumbsup:

If you get into the habit of wiping the strings(on visable tops and underneath between strings and neck) , with a clean cloth after using,the strings will last longer.
    This stops finger moisture corroding the strings and in turn making them age and not hold the tuned note very long.
    Then,when one breaks and is replaced,it will be of the same(ish) standard as the used ones,saving replacing all!:thumbsup:
    J.Page:whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …714
      2. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?11
      3. Freesat - Dave1117
      4. Speccing a gaming pc410

See more discussions