Any help? ICT text based system / GUI / FTP ?

14 replies
Found 26th May 2009
Hiya, im studying a level ict And have been looking though the book but i still can't understand what a Text based intereface is and a Graphics user interface?

And a File transfer protocol?
(been looking online and still don't understand)

and help, (rep will be given) try and keep it basic guys as i get confused easily

THANKS!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

Maybe change the title to one that has some information in it?

Original Poster

Bump PLEASE GUYS

FTP is the process of transferring files from one place to another. It's the protocol of transfer, usually between servers or from a PC to a web server

A text based interface is like a command prompt. Think DOS. Using text commands and getting a text reply.

A GUI is object oriented, it's like windows xp. Think of pop ups and icons for files, etc. It's graphics and prettier than text based interfaces.

Simples

Original Poster

bazzaric;5325626

FTP is the process of transferring files from one place to another. It's … FTP is the process of transferring files from one place to another. It's the protocol of transfer, usually between servers or from a PC to a web server

Rep given Im still not gettng the text one

graphic interface is like Windows - using images, folders, icons to interact.
text based is like Terminal in Linux or the old DOS systems.
ftp is the standard used to transfer data - normally to a web server host.

FTP does get some getting your head around. Think of it as simply being the name given when you want to move files from your computer to a computer somewhere else (it can be used across a network but isn't normally in a home network)

Original Poster

Thanks everyone i think im getting it little ict peeps on here are great!

Original Poster

ok,, one more does anyone know what a dumb terminal or telnet is ?

basically, to copy a file from one place to another:

Text based interface= 'Copy C:/user/filexxx to D:/folder (a dos command)

GUI= pretty pictures of a file flying through mid air from one folder to another (like in windows xp)

A Dumb Terminal is a computer, at a desk that runs everything from a central server. It logs in as a user on a network instead of the PC at the desk.

My understanding of a dumb terminal: (which is wrong apparently :-D)

Imagine a normal computer. Inside it, it has a motherboard, processor, hard drive, etc. Also it has an operating system loaded onto it (WIndows XP, Vista, whatever).

Now, a dumb terminal would have one or more of those things missing from it. The most common kind of dumb terminal would be a computer which has everything a normal one does excluding the operating system. The computer is connected to a network and on the network's main server, the operating system is stored. The dumb computer accesses the OS over the network (remotely) rather than just having it stored (locally) on the hard drive.

Original Poster

oldmanhouse;5325880

My understanding of a dumb terminal:Imagine a normal computer. Inside it, … My understanding of a dumb terminal:Imagine a normal computer. Inside it, it has a motherboard, processor, hard drive, etc. Also it has an operating system loaded onto it (WIndows XP, Vista, whatever).Now, a dumb terminal would have one or more of those things missing from it. The most common kind of dumb terminal would be a computer which has everything a normal one does excluding the operating system. The computer is connected to a network and on the network's main server, the operating system is stored. The dumb computer accesses the OS over the network (remotely) rather than just having it stored (locally) on the hard drive.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Dumb Terminal : Literally that. Dumb. Like a PC in that there is a keyboared and a display, but little or no intelligence.

You type on the keyboard and characters get sent to a processor somewhwere else.

The processor sends data about what is to be displayed - usually just text characters - like a printer but for display on the screen.

Telnet (Telecommunication network) is a network protocol used on the Internet or local area networks to provide a bidirectional interactive communications facility. Typically, telnet provides access to a command-line interface on a remote host via a virtual terminal connection which consists of an 8-bit byte oriented data connection over the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). User data is interspersed in-band with TELNET control information.

More here: ]http//en…net

One more thing. Why do schools persist in using "ICT" when industry refers to the subject as "IT"?

oldmanhouse;5325880

My understanding of a dumb terminal:Imagine a normal computer. Inside it, … My understanding of a dumb terminal:Imagine a normal computer. Inside it, it has a motherboard, processor, hard drive, etc. Also it has an operating system loaded onto it (WIndows XP, Vista, whatever).Now, a dumb terminal would have one or more of those things missing from it. The most common kind of dumb terminal would be a computer which has everything a normal one does excluding the operating system. The computer is connected to a network and on the network's main server, the operating system is stored. The dumb computer accesses the OS over the network (remotely) rather than just having it stored (locally) on the hard drive.

This is confusing and technically incorrect as a dumb terminal can have all or of those to function - but it obfuscates the key concept of dumb terminals.

A dumb terminal does no thinking (computations) - it simply sends your key strokes and mouse gestures to a server, which in turn does all the computations/thinking/hard work, which then sends the display back to the dumb terminals screen.

The key concept is that all computation is done on the server and not on the dumb terminal.

en.wiktionary.org/wik…nal

Fluffykins;5325930

One more thing. Why do schools persist in using "ICT" when industry … One more thing. Why do schools persist in using "ICT" when industry refers to the subject as "IT"?

Not sure - I work in a school an ICT and IT are not really interchangeable- ICT refers to curriculum and IT is the field.

ICT includes non - computer technologies I suppose
IT is computer/network...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. amazon echo idiots guide69
    2. Does any kind person have one spare sweet Sunday's code?22
    3. disneyland paris tickets33
    4. putting dry clean only through washing machne1112

See more discussions