Groups

Any help or information pointers to understand car charging options for PHEV or electric cars

Hi,
    I'm buying outlander phev (plugin hybrid electric vehicle) and have been searching for charging options. Found some information on phev forums, speakev and charging stations map. However confused with so many different providers, cost, home charging etc. I will appreciate if any of you have done this already and can share info please.

I live in Milton Keynes. Thanks

22 Comments

If you strap a wind turbine to the roof you can charge it whilst you drive.

polar-network.com/?so…cil

How far away do you want to travel on a daily basis?. you will need more than one card so use a map checker for each supplier.

Original Poster

666FU

If you strap a wind turbine to the roof you can charge it whilst you … If you strap a wind turbine to the roof you can charge it whilst you drive.

LoL but you know PHEV means it can charge using ICE and brake energy. My question is slightly different.

click the very top of that link to view locations and you get a good deal. but please google the name and see how people find the company in terms of use and price.

With a low range car like that you'd want to charge it up at a place you visit daily. At home would be common, but a work car park may be an option.

Anything else would just be when the opportunity arose. You'd have to see which car parks you parked in regularly for an hour or more had charging points. With only ~25 miles range there's not much point in driving five miles just to charge.

Original Poster

reedgary29

https://www.polar-network.com/?source=mk_councilHow far away do you want … https://www.polar-network.com/?source=mk_councilHow far away do you want to travel on a daily basis?. you will need more than one card so use a map checker for each supplier.

Thanks for the inputs.
    I travel about 4-6 miles each day roughly to the station and then commute to London by train. So I thought if I find the correct charging option then can drive the car fully on ELectricity only, at least on the weekdays. Therefore have been researching on the providers when it's getting messy.

local councils all have a grant to provide on street electric charging/parking, you can apply for them to put one near your home.
    Edited by: "HamanBasher" 5th Mar

Have a look at Zap Map to see all charge stations appropriate for you. As above the Polar network gives cheap charging at loads of stations. Make sure you don't leave your PHEV in a charging station all day. Nothing frustrates EV drivers more than a vehicle sat not charging, especially when it also has a ICE!!!

so have u got off road parking available to u if 7 have charge at home when ever u get home then look around most of the free ev charge points have stopped I think there's some available if u become a energy customer of certain electricity provider.

Don't by a PHEV for that commute, get a full electric car, with th ranges now 200 miles + no reason to have an ICE plus you will pay more tax now if it has an engine. Nothing can convince me to get an ICE car now after 6 months of tesla

Original Poster

HamanBasher

local councils all have a grant to provide on street electric … local councils all have a grant to provide on street electric charging/parking, you can apply for them to put one near your home.

Thanks. I will check but doubt if they will put a charge point near my house lol. The confusion is mostly on which network to go to as each charge point from different provider.

Original Poster

ryancor

Have a look at Zap Map to see all charge stations appropriate for you. As … Have a look at Zap Map to see all charge stations appropriate for you. As above the Polar network gives cheap charging at loads of stations. Make sure you don't leave your PHEV in a charging station all day. Nothing frustrates EV drivers more than a vehicle sat not charging, especially when it also has a ICE!!!

Thanks. I did look at zap map and it shows charge points near me but it has so many different providers and connectors so confusing. Mk council gives free parking for ULEVs so I won't leave it in charging bay.

Original Poster

MynameisM

so have u got off road parking available to u if 7 have charge at home … so have u got off road parking available to u if 7 have charge at home when ever u get home then look around most of the free ev charge points have stopped I think there's some available if u become a energy customer of certain electricity provider.

Yes I have driveway so my plan right now is to see if I can home charging point and charge overnight. However, looking for info on what should I know or prepared and if there are better options available. Ecotricity I think is the provider who gives 52 charges free in a year if you by home energy from them, I tried to get their energy quote from their website and it doesn't even work properly. Will have check it next week.

Original Poster

MrMoonX

Don't by a PHEV for that commute, get a full electric car, with th ranges … Don't by a PHEV for that commute, get a full electric car, with th ranges now 200 miles + no reason to have an ICE plus you will pay more tax now if it has an engine. Nothing can convince me to get an ICE car now after 6 months of tesla

Not entirely correct I think. Here is the reason I went to Outlander PHEV from BMW X5 E70 as i had to make a practical compromise as X5 getting older.

1. No road tax if you register before 1st April 2017 ( saves 495 per year for me)
    2. Mk council gives free parking until the vehicle is owned and register for this. Vehicles below 50g CO2 only. This saves roughly 1.5k a year as I park every weekday.
    3. If manage cleverly using free charging points (if any) then most of the travel could be free of fuel cost. Worst case, fuel cost for weekday travel it would be very low if I charge at home. Outlander phev fits this as it can run on electric only. A vetch mod will improve this further.
    4. When I need to travel long distance then I don't have range anxiety as in a pure electric cars and don't have to worry about pit stops for charging. And avoid stress if charge points not working or crowded as lot of people are going down the EV route. Also, checked bmw i3, Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe but all have range issues or the price you need to pay vs the benefits aren't justified in my view.

5. Instead I'm buying a used outlander phev (16k) 4hs trim which has 4WD, huge space,

Interesting thread as I am also looking at this car, however it would be a lease deal, not to buy.

Your main saving is the parking. Not worth searching for free charging. Just charge at home at night. If you are out and about and there is free charging top it up.

itsvinod2k

Yes I have driveway so my plan right now is to see if I can home charging … Yes I have driveway so my plan right now is to see if I can home charging point and charge overnight. However, looking for info on what should I know or prepared and if there are better options available. Ecotricity I think is the provider who gives 52 charges free in a year if you by home energy from them, I tried to get their energy quote from their website and it doesn't even work properly. Will have check it next week.

I looked into switching to Ecotricity for the free charging perk, but their tariff was almost double what I currently pay and even then you'd be limited to 52 free charges per year rather than all you can eat. That wasn't economically viable for a 24kwh LEAF, let alone a PHEV with a tiny battery.

Get the free home charger if you're entitled to one (you can still get one free with pure EVs, not sure about PHEVs) and simply charge it at home overnight.

Original Poster

Mermoo

Interesting thread as I am also looking at this car, however it would be … Interesting thread as I am also looking at this car, however it would be a lease deal, not to buy.

Yeah I looked at leasing as well but for the spec I was after 4hs it was too high. Mitsu has also 0% finance deal as well for 3 years. In my view it didn't make sense and also got a good price second hand 4hs. However, good luck to you

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Your main saving is the parking. Not worth searching for free charging. … Your main saving is the parking. Not worth searching for free charging. Just charge at home at night. If you are out and about and there is free charging top it up.

Thanks mate. That's is what I have planned to do. Since I'm new to this I thought of checking with you all and see if there is any other option. Appreciate your time.

Original Poster

terriclarkfan

I looked into switching to Ecotricity for the free charging perk, but … I looked into switching to Ecotricity for the free charging perk, but their tariff was almost double what I currently pay and even then you'd be limited to 52 free charges per year rather than all you can eat. That wasn't economically viable for a 24kwh LEAF, let alone a PHEV with a tiny battery.Get the free home charger if you're entitled to one (you can still get one free with pure EVs, not sure about PHEVs) and simply charge it at home overnight.

Unfortunately I missed out on the previous free home charger deals so have to spend it and looking to go to charge master. I also need to check if the OEM 3 pin charger will work straight away in my home outlet (I guess not)

MrMoonX

Don't by a PHEV for that commute, get a full electric car, with th ranges … Don't by a PHEV for that commute, get a full electric car, with th ranges now 200 miles + no reason to have an ICE plus you will pay more tax now if it has an engine. Nothing can convince me to get an ICE car now after 6 months of tesla

If you'd be so kind I'd like to know more about your tesla experience - have you had mechanical issues? I'm interested in knowing more about the Model 3 when it eventually appears...

itsvinod2k

Yeah I looked at leasing as well but for the spec I was after 4hs it was … Yeah I looked at leasing as well but for the spec I was after 4hs it was too high. Mitsu has also 0% finance deal as well for 3 years. In my view it didn't make sense and also got a good price second hand 4hs. However, good luck to you

Leasing does look particularly high at around £450pm - I am still looking at other full elec cars, but like you I have a bit of 'range' anxiety. Good luck with yours - hope it all works out well.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. JBHIFI.CO.UK warning SCAMMERS2643
      2. Easyjet - book now or wait?35
      3. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?67
      4. Dell Outlet Alternatives22

See more discussions