Any hints suggestions welcome

I have a small area of land in front of my property. I am the sole owner of this area. There is a flat above my property that is accessed across my front garden. Thats all - only accessed. They do not have any rights over the land. Now a new sub-tennant has decided that because she feels she has a problem it should be my problem. Her sole child is walking being about 4 years of age. She has a bulky pram which she feels is her right to leave in the small front garden. Quite apart from not wanting to set a precedent to things being dumped in the front garden, which has happened previously, I dont want space taken up in what is already a small area. She has a back garden with a shed so although things maybe a bit inconvienient she has somewhere to store things.

I am not altogether sure whether things were explained to her properly when she decided to take the flat. The flat belongs to an absent leaseholder. I believe that the flat has been let out via a housing association but I am unsure. Her story changes by the second from her having bought the flat to having to check back with the housing association. Somebody suggested to me that I should rent her an area of the front garden to use for pram parking. But quite apart from being unsure what precedents this might set I dont want to make things difficult if I should ever decide to move. If I was to take rent for something what, if any, responsibilties would I be incurring?

Any hints/suggestions welcome.

Additionally there are some occasions at present when I am mobility restricted and without knowing what the future may bring good or bad I may at some point need all space available in the front garden from an access point of view.

25 Comments

personally i would'nt go down that route as from your description she sounds like once rented it will turn into hers i would see who actualy owns the premises and then work it out but once she rents a small spot from you watch her spot grow bigger while yours gets smaller

If it were me, I'd just be blunt and tell her that it's my front garden and as such, not a parking spot for her pram so could she please remove it and place it in her garden or her shed. If that's inconvenient then she should be renting/buying something more suitable for her needs rather than just using other peoples gardens.

But then I always was a bit too blunt at times :-D

Original Poster

Charlie&Lola;2732112

If it were me, I'd just be blunt and tell her that it's my front garden … If it were me, I'd just be blunt and tell her that it's my front garden and as such, not a parking spot for her pram so could she please remove it and place it in her garden or her shed. If that's inconvenient then she should be renting/buying something more suitable for her needs rather than just using other peoples gardens.But then I always was a bit too blunt at times :-D

Been there, done that trying to keep things as nicey nicey as possible whilst asserting the situation. She went indoors and left the pram. I am not what is the best next thing to do.

Original Poster

Is this unreasonable do you think?
I suggest to her that she can leave the pram there as a one off gesture of good will for up to one week. After that she will have either traded pram for one more suitable for her needs (present housing location). Something collapsible for instance or that she will then need to leave it on the street if she cannot make other arrangements.

Banned

If she is the owner of the property why dont you offer to sell the land to her.

This will have 2 outcomes: She'll either agree to buy it and you get rid of the hassle of the upkeep of the land, or it will make her aware that the land is yours and the usage of it is up to you.

Original Poster

Foosball Chum;2732191

If she is the owner of the property why dont you offer to sell the land … If she is the owner of the property why dont you offer to sell the land to her.This will have 2 outcomes: She'll either agree to buy it and you get rid of the hassle of the upkeep of the land, or it will make her aware that the land is yours and the usage of it is up to you.

I do not believe that she has bought the property. More likely she is subletting via agency/housingassociation from the absent leasholder.

Re selling land
1) Dont want to as will have no control on who may mill around directly outside front of the house.
2) Uncertain future may mean I need the space if my present mobility issue worsen

that pram must be getting awfully wet in the rain?? cant it disappear overnight lol

From the sounds of it there is only an easement over your property to allow her access to her home.

Personally rather than getting involved yourself with the tennant I would find out who the Landlord is and take it up with them. This way they should talk to her and at least if she moves on they should hopefully explain things to the next person more. Always iffy when it comes to upsetting neighbours but why should you have to put up with it when you own the land?

Give her a weeks grace after you have contacted both the tenant and the landlord. If you find property on your land that does not belong to you after this time, remove it to the nearest public ground (the nearest pavement). Stress that if this continues, you will destroy anything that is on your land.

Live and let live.

The potential fall out from taking this further will most likley be a lot worse than a pram being simply left on the land. Let her leave the pram their and tell her that if you need to move it you will as neccesary.

Ritchie 2;2732773

Live and let live.The potential fall out from taking this further will … Live and let live.The potential fall out from taking this further will most likley be a lot worse than a pram being simply left on the land. Let her leave the pram their and tell her that if you need to move it you will as neccesary.

Agreed - good advice

The pram was nicked by a bunch of chavs? You buy her a new foldable pram because your good like that and you feel sorry for her. Problem solved.

Original Poster

That the pram could possibly be nicked is an issue anyway. Not one that I would want to mention as I dont want to encourage things to be chained up by others in an area that is for my use.

But to buy her another pram ..... LOL, Step too far, even for me

Original Poster

jellybaby22;2732301

tell her to keep her pram off your property or next time you will remove … tell her to keep her pram off your property or next time you will remove it and she wont be getting in back. Then if she does leave her pram...take it...will stop her doing it in future....(well I would)Sounds like you might just be a bit too nice.....its your property..would you let her put her pram in your sitting room...no...so garden is no diferrent

Interesting way of viewing things :whistling: Dont want to go down confrontational route but there are often things that occur to me after I put the incident out of my mind. Sometimes completely different approaches.

But do agree that I would not just encourage someone to dump something in my sitting room. And whether she was aware or not initiallty she has same level of rights here. I will again attempt to talk with her to make her aware and see where it leads. It may be that she will suddenly see that she was in error. Dont know till I try. Shes out at the moment anyway with the pram....

Original Poster

Mardyass;2732347

that pram must be getting awfully wet in the rain?? cant it disappear … that pram must be getting awfully wet in the rain?? cant it disappear overnight lol

shared thoughts but I always attempt to play straight as not good at talking my way out of situations. And have found it often can work to your advantage anyway. Obviously there are others who do not see things that way but for me .........

Original Poster

hellfire;2732688

From the sounds of it there is only an easement over your property to … From the sounds of it there is only an easement over your property to allow her access to her home. Personally rather than getting involved yourself with the tennant I would find out who the Landlord is and take it up with them. This way they should talk to her and at least if she moves on they should hopefully explain things to the next person more. Always iffy when it comes to upsetting neighbours but why should you have to put up with it when you own the land?

I have the rights over the land. But dont want to go down legal route unnecessarily about a sub-tennant who may not be fully aware of the situation.

I want to be sure who exactly I am dealing with if I do need to take things further as the owner of the flat (absent leasholder) has had a few dodgy things going on in the past which its probably best I dont mention on a forum page

Original Poster

Ritchie 2;2732773

Live and let live.The potential fall out from taking this further will … Live and let live.The potential fall out from taking this further will most likley be a lot worse than a pram being simply left on the land. Let her leave the pram their and tell her that if you need to move it you will as neccesary.

In my gut I totally agree with you. But the sames rules unfortunately do not work in all situations. If all cues point to a reasonable person I am sure a resolution can be reached. I hate to admit that at the moment I am not sure if this is one of those cases. But its an unfolding situation. Pity the pram is not:-D

Can I ask Wooly is the area of land in question registered in your name?

Original Poster

fireheaven;2733443

Can I ask Wooly is the area of land in question registered in your name?

It certainly was at the time I bought the property. Barring any unforseen events with somebody doctoring titles no reason to believe anything changed

WoolyM;2733514

It certainly was at the time I bought the property. Barring any unforseen … It certainly was at the time I bought the property. Barring any unforseen events with somebody doctoring titles no reason to believe anything changed

Thats ok then, I was just enquiring to warn you of the possibility of someone trying to obtain a possessory interest over the land due to use without permission or rent but if its registered that cannot happen :thumbsup:

Supermod

Do you own your property? PM me if you would rather not discuss this here.
If you do, check through your lease and it will make reference to the bit of land. Try an amicable solution (ie..telling her not to leave it on your land for long periods of time or just not at all!!) and then refer her to the terms in your lease.

Original Poster

fireheaven;2733552

Thats ok then, I was just enquiring to warn you of the possibility of … Thats ok then, I was just enquiring to warn you of the possibility of someone trying to obtain a possessory interest over the land due to use without permission or rent but if its registered that cannot happen :thumbsup:

more info useful here ???

WoolyM;2733579

more info useful here ???

No you are covered, this would only be a problem with unregistered land.

Magicjay has also offered you useful advice

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2733570

Do you own your property? PM me if you would rather not discuss this … Do you own your property? PM me if you would rather not discuss this here. If you do, check through your lease and it will make reference to the bit of land. Try an amicable solution (ie..telling her not to leave it on your land for long periods of time or just not at all!!) and then refer her to the terms in your lease.

Sorry missed your post
Have PM'd you

Original Poster

Thanks for your hints guys/girls.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1013
    2. Whoop! Next Sale VIP Slots have been released55
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047067
    4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407239

See more discussions