Expired

Any houseplants/flowers cats hate?

Found 22nd Apr 2015
My cat loves to eat flowers, leaves, plants, all of them. She is so bad that when I resorted to a fabric poinsettia at Christmas complete with gold glitter trimming, she kept trying to eat it. It is now peppered with holes and the cat had a glittery nose for a month.

Are there ANY houseplants or flowers that cats are known to hate? I received two gorgeous bouquets last month for my birthday and they had to sit in the kitchen with the door jammed shut so the cat couldn't kill herself eating them. One was stargazer lilies which would have killed her, yet she still tried to eat them every time we were in the kitchen. I give her cat grass occasionally which she eats and I give her quite a bit of rocket which she loves, and the odd bit of iceberg lettuce, so she shouldn't be short of greens.

I would just love to be able to have houseplants around the place and a vase of flowers occasionally. Thanks
Community Updates
AskFlowers
19 Comments
I'd like to know this too! My cat also eats everything that is or resembles a plant. I used to have a vase of fake flowers, and he'd try eating them too!
Have a water spray bottle handy - I taught my cat not to climb over the grills of my speakers by yelling NO and spraying him with water - he soon learnt not to do that.
cacti
Inappropriate eating in cats can be a symptom of an underlying disease, particularly chronic kidney disease. Advisable to get her checked over by a vet.
I keep my cats off anything with essential oil. Rub a little of your favourite scent essential oil (bought from many shops and chemists cheap little bottles ) works on edge of work tops, window sills etc etc. I apply with a cotton bud every few days. Cats naturally stay away from essential oils.
Alternative thing to try - orange/lemon peel. Sprinkle it as a natural deterrant around the base of plants. It's good for fragrancing the room too. Cats run away when you peel citrus near them as the natural oils are not good for cats and they sense it
Slightly off topic. Lillies are toxic to cats...
Cats hate the smell of Vicks Vaporub. Maybe if you smear to little bit around the vase/plant pot it may deter the cats. I have used a small pot near to where my cats were clawing a carpet and it seemed to do the trick.
Original Poster
Thanks all for your posts. I'm a 51 year old cat owner that has had cats all my life. This one does not follow the rules. The spray bottle works for the fake christmas tree, but does NOTHING for the plant/flower eating at all. The lure of the delicious plant /petal totally overtakes the water spray fear.

I have a lemon addiction (true story lol) and I eat three lemons a day. They do nothing to put my cat off rubbing against me, sitting on me, etc. Essential oils don't do anything unless i actually hold a bottle up to her face. In fact ... she licks my skin if i put moisturiser on.

I have asked the vet more than once, the cat is in perfect health and the vet said she is just an odd cat who likes flowers/plants/perfumey things.

All of the above is the reason why I did ask in the first place about recommendations for plants/flowers that all cats hate, not for tips on keeping the cat away from them.
Original Poster
charjoe

Slightly off topic. Lillies are toxic to cats...

I know, as you can clearly see from my very first post.
Original Poster
furbars

cacti

lol thank you! That might actually work. Although the last cactus we had, I ended up throwing in the bin in a fury after it speared my thumb with a hundred tiny tiny hair like spikes which were painful for days! Maybe one or two cacti might persuade the cat that plants are all spiky....
A cactus sounds like a good idea but if you cat then decides it wants to attempt to eat that then it could be a costly trip to the vets with all those spikes potentially embedded in and around your cat's mouth. it's easy for us humans to get them out but not a cat and with all that fur you might not know where they are

Mint? Lavender? Tried those? Garlic? Chive?
Actual plants of these I mean.
Going on cacti route - blackberry/raspberry etc also have thorns (I would personally never use them around my cats but may yours)
Sounds like your cat has an odd sense off smell.
Yay to your cat for standing out from the norm.

therealslimkaty

Thanks all for your posts. I'm a 51 year old cat owner that has had cats … Thanks all for your posts. I'm a 51 year old cat owner that has had cats all my life. This one does not follow the rules. The spray bottle works for the fake christmas tree, but does NOTHING for the plant/flower eating at all. The lure of the delicious plant /petal totally overtakes the water spray fear. I have a lemon addiction (true story lol) and I eat three lemons a day. They do nothing to put my cat off rubbing against me, sitting on me, etc. Essential oils don't do anything unless i actually hold a bottle up to her face. In fact ... she licks my skin if i put moisturiser on. I have asked the vet more than once, the cat is in perfect health and the vet said she is just an odd cat who likes flowers/plants/perfumey things. All of the above is the reason why I did ask in the first place about recommendations for plants/flowers that all cats hate, not for tips on keeping the cat away from them.

Ps - you also mention in first post wanting to keep vase of flowers every so often. Maybe this got everyone along the thought of how to keep off. ..
(_;)
Original Poster
Yellowness78

Ps - you also mention in first post wanting to keep vase of flowers every … Ps - you also mention in first post wanting to keep vase of flowers every so often. Maybe this got everyone along the thought of how to keep off. .. (_;)

Hence the title houseplants/flowers cats hate.
To my knowledge, cats eat plants if they have health problems. Mostly digesting issues.
Original Poster
iceboy

To my knowledge, cats eat plants if they have health problems. Mostly … To my knowledge, cats eat plants if they have health problems. Mostly digesting issues.

Another person said this and I replied already that the vet has said she is perfectly healthy.
Put some cat grass down. This should stop them trying to eat plants. Grass is essential for cats. It helps with digestion problems.
therealslimkaty

Another person said this and I replied already that the vet has said she … Another person said this and I replied already that the vet has said she is perfectly healthy.

Vet wouldnt know the digesting problem just by looking at a cat. Eats like having digestive problems when eating apple. Doctor wouldnt know unless you talk and explain. Cats cant talk.

Its upto you whether or not to believe its a sign of digestive problem as said by others also. And might be beneficial to look into changing the diet and try alternative cat foods.

People are trying to help you here.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants