Any idea what tree this is ?

Found 6th Oct 2017
I have a few if these at the back of my garden.....but dont know what tree it is or how big it will grow.

They were planted by the previous home owner 12 or 13 years ago. They are as high as our house now and i am concerned about them causing damage to foundations, pipes, etc and if we ever sell our house it may put buyers off as makes back garden appear dark.

Trying to add pic of leaves to help identify.
Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
27 Comments

Original Poster

32191993-YjeO3.jpg

Original Poster

32192001-gb39h.jpg

Try reverse Google image

picture of the tree might help. could this be a hornbeam?

Original Poster

32192421-qxfRg.jpg

Original Poster

32192427-JgGKU.jpg

Original Poster

32192435-Kj7WV.jpg

mod

I think it may be some kind of Birch?

Its a beech tree leaf....

The trunk looks like birch but I'm not so sure looking at the leaves. Does it have any fruit or seeds on it ?

Whatever they prove to be I'd at least have them reduced in size - potentially taken out completely unless they're blocking your view of something you'd rather not look at!

With trees it is always best to act sooner rather than later - they will be bigger this time next year and more expensive to get shot.

If your garden is longer than the tree height you could have a go at felling these yourself - otherwise I'd employ a tree surgeon. They'll scale the tree and cut it down from the top till they're at a height they can be felled from the ground safely. Get a few quotes as prices can vary greatly.

Once down drill 6-8mm diameter holes around the outside perimeter of the stump every inch (where the darker bark meets the white wood) and pour glyphosate weedkiller in - this will kill the stump and stop seedlings sprouting up in the spring.

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell15 m ago

The trunk looks like birch but I'm not so sure looking at the leaves. Does …The trunk looks like birch but I'm not so sure looking at the leaves. Does it have any fruit or seeds on it ?

373962495-1507298323.jpgthere are small white flowers in spring once the tree has grown leaves.
I also noticed some black tar like substance where branch meets the trunk.

Original Poster

No fruit has ever grown.

Original Poster

The back garden just backs onto empty land with more trees/bushes behind it and then a railway track. Previous owners had planted them to provide some "wind shelter".
How much would a tree surgeon cost?

Not birch then if it has white flowers. Does it have thorns at all? It looks a little bit like blackthorn

Original Poster

My preference would be to remove them but i dont want to poison soil around tree as j want to plant something smaller that would grow 3/4 metres max.

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell7 m ago

Not birch then if it has white flowers. Does it have thorns at all? It …Not birch then if it has white flowers. Does it have thorns at all? It looks a little bit like blackthorn

It has no thorns.

ran123ran12 m ago

The back garden just backs onto empty land with more trees/bushes behind …The back garden just backs onto empty land with more trees/bushes behind it and then a railway track. Previous owners had planted them to provide some "wind shelter".How much would a tree surgeon cost?

All depends upon .....

Where you live, do you want the wood removed, what is the access like (how far does the cut timber have to be carried to the truck), how many trees need to come down.

I guess you'll be looking at something like £250-400 for a tree surgeon and labourer assuming the job could be done in about 5-6 hours - but I could be way off.

Glyphosphate would not poison the soil - only the tree. It is Roundup weedkiller - but cheaper to buy as Gallup 360 from ebay. You don't have to weedkill the stumps - but you are at risk of multiple saplings appearing.
Edited by: "Van1973" 6th Oct 2017

ran123ran22 m ago

The back garden just backs onto empty land with more trees/bushes behind …The back garden just backs onto empty land with more trees/bushes behind it and then a railway track. Previous owners had planted them to provide some "wind shelter".How much would a tree surgeon cost?

My sister had four massive trees cut down and the stumps ground for £1200 last month. She now has enough bark chippings to last a lifetime.

You could advertise them as standing lumber on gumtree a mate did that and 4 lads rocked up armed with two chainsaws and a crate of special brew. I watched in fascination and horror poised to ring 999 as they took the tree down fully expecting to see a spray of claret. but no they actually did a decent job considering the beer they sunk.

Looks like some sort of cherry, but hard to tell from photos, but leaf shape looks right with the shiny striped looking bark and pink/white blossomsand they can get sappy so would tick all boxes - not all cherry trees get fruit, some are ornamental

Original Poster

farmlama1 h, 2 m ago

Looks like some sort of cherry, but hard to tell from photos, but leaf …Looks like some sort of cherry, but hard to tell from photos, but leaf shape looks right with the shiny striped looking bark and pink/white blossomsand they can get sappy so would tick all boxes - not all cherry trees get fruit, some are ornamental

Any ideas how tall it can grow?

Depends on what type of cherry really, but generally a max height of about 10 meters.

they don't tend to get really huge and don't live very long ;average about 50 years or so).

also they aren't really one of the big causes of subsidence, but they do commonly have large surface roots and so will lift pathways or ruin lawns

Original Poster

farmlama34 m ago

Depends on what type of cherry really, but generally a max height of about …Depends on what type of cherry really, but generally a max height of about 10 meters.they don't tend to get really huge and don't live very long ;average about 50 years or so).also they aren't really one of the big causes of subsidence, but they do commonly have large surface roots and so will lift pathways or ruin lawns

If they are cherry trees i might just leave them. I think they must be 10 metres high already. Is it possible for them to be at full height within 12-13 years?

ran123ran33 m ago

If they are cherry trees i might just leave them. I think they must be 10 …If they are cherry trees i might just leave them. I think they must be 10 metres high already. Is it possible for them to be at full height within 12-13 years?

Some cherry trees are fast growing. They don't grow into huge fat trunked trees like an oak or anything. Think farmland may well have nailed it there. Had narrowed it down to some sort of prunus but didn't think of cherries, was too caught up with plums

They're cherries.

I confirm that they're 'Wild Cherry, also sometimes called 'Gean'. The Latin name is Prunus avium. The bark and leaf in the photos are characteristic, and what you're calling a black tar like substance is common on this variety and is referred to as gum in the trade.

Have a look at this site for some reliable information:-

rhs.org.uk/Pla…ils

Although they are approaching full height you will see it's suggesting that they are likely to grow a bit taller. They are planted very close together. If you want to keep the screening effect I suggest you have them thinned out, maybe taking 2/3rds of them out. It'll cost, but the longer you leave it the more it'll cost.

They flower in spring and fruits develop and ripen red in late June/early July. If there is fruit the birds will get it before you -:( These trees are so close together that by shading each other flowering will be inhibited, if it happens at all.

If using a tree surgeon I strongly recommend getting at least 3 to quote. Apart from hopefully getting you a better price, this will enable you to compare alternative opinions on the work to be done. It puts the ball in your court.

Hopefully you'll find tree work/ tree surgery contractors via recommendation from friends & neighbours. If you can't, ask you're local authority Arboricultural Officer if he can give you some contact details.

Make sure they're covered by public and employers liability insurance liability (ask to see the certificates). These links have helpful advice:-

leeds.gov.uk/doc…pdf

trees.org.uk/Hel…eon

Before doing anything to the trees make sure you're not in a conservation area, or that they are not covered by a Tree Preservation Order. The local planning authority will tell you (you should be able to look it up online).

Hope that helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions