Any ideas on eating healthy affordable meals ?

Found 6th Feb
Recently moved to a small town and there is only a Morrison supermarket , a farm food store , small Tesco , and small Co op.

I'm on a limited budget and thinking of healthy meals that won't break the bank.

Anyone with any ideas.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Buy a slow cooker and then you can use the cheaper cuts of meats and turn them into the most delicious, mouth waveringly tender and delicious meals.
What is Lazania ?
23 Comments
Avoid ready made meals as they are full of crap to give it longer shelf life etc.
Maybe time to start cooking your own meals with fresh ingredients.
Jacket Potatoes, Lazania etc.
You tube is your friend when it comes to recipes and how to cook.

Good Luck.
What is Lazania ?
lamboo12 m ago

Avoid ready made meals as they are full of crap to give it longer shelf …Avoid ready made meals as they are full of crap to give it longer shelf life etc.Maybe time to start cooking your own meals with fresh ingredients.Jacket Potatoes, Lazania etc.You tube is your friend when it comes to recipes and how to cook.Good Luck.

Google is your friend when it comes to spelling Italian dishes
Fish! Fish is your friend. You can get three 900g packs of Pollack for a tenner in farm foods and they post 10%off vouchers through your door regularly. Frozen veg is cheap as chips too and much healthier. Also check out the reduced aisle, be flexible and adventurous and cook from scratch. I made crab, cod and leek lasagne tonight. Cost less than a fiver and filled two of us up with a portion for the freezer. Planning is the other key point. I plan menus a week in advance so that if I have something which uses half a tub of creme fraiche, later in the week I will cook a dish using the other half.
Soups, especially in this weather
Buy a slow cooker and then you can use the cheaper cuts of meats and turn them into the most delicious, mouth waveringly tender and delicious meals.
Eggs.. theres so many things you can do with them and they're very nutrional.
I dont eat healthily but i know that to eat healthily, you need to cook your own food and not buy ready made food. The stuff they put in them is just ridiculous.

Fish, vegetables, fruit, potato, rice, pasta are good for you. Avoid sugar, fat, cheese, red meat, chocolate, processsed food like sausages and hamburger.
lamboo1 h, 20 m ago

Avoid ready made meals as they are full of crap to give it longer shelf …Avoid ready made meals as they are full of crap to give it longer shelf life etc.Maybe time to start cooking your own meals with fresh ingredients.Jacket Potatoes, Lazania etc.You tube is your friend when it comes to recipes and how to cook.Good Luck.

this is literally the worst advice ever. fresh is never cheap. ready meals can be healthy or unhealthy but you probably talk about those chemikalzzzz....

yeah that greasy lasagna is so healthy....

Dose makes the poison, everything is healthy in moderation even KFC and MCD's

anyway

divide your meals to 3 sections

Carbs:
pasta - wholegrain, 50/50 whatever you fancy
potatoes - normal or sweet, mashed, baked, boiled
rice - even the microwave one that can be bought at 60p per pack which gives you 2 servings). you can flavour it with turmeric, mint and chilli, coconut milk etc

Protein
chicken - any part of it. dice and marinade in a sauce or some kind of a paste (eg jerk, curry etc) put on a skewer and bake
beef - for casseroles mainly (get a slow cooker), minced can be used on meatballs etc
lamb, pork etc - Im not keen on that but that mainly baking
fish - BUY FROZEN and avoid ones from the counter

Veg
now this is where you can save a bit
again BUY FROZEN and microwave them

cook each of the 3 above in any combo

limit use of oil and salt
use spices and herbs to give it more taste

once you get a hang of that play with stuff like eggs, seafood
Passata is a basic tomato sauce which is fairly cheap and healthy. It can be adapted to suit lots of different meals, add your herbs/spices and enjoy. Way better for you than buying a jar of something full of additives!

Also meal planning can save you a lot of money by reducing food waste which is always good on a limited budget.
Yep, meal planning is a big part of keeping costs down e.g. buying a bag of sweet potatoes and working out that you will have it as mash one day, a couple of days later roasted, another day as wedges etc and avoiding waste.

Things like buying a jar of passata and using half for a tomato based pasta sauce, and the other half as a tomato base for a homemade curry. Or buy a big pack of sausages and then one night have sausages & mash and another night a sausage & tomato pasta dish.

Meal planning is good for the budget and the waistline, as well as reducing waste, but prepare to be flexible if you see some good mark downs at the supermarket and work out how you can incorporate them successfully.

Get a good array of spices in your cupboard.

Also, bulk buy things like pasta, rice, tins of tomato etc. when they're on offer.
mutley13 h, 45 m ago

I dont eat healthily but i know that to eat healthily, you need to cook …I dont eat healthily but i know that to eat healthily, you need to cook your own food and not buy ready made food. The stuff they put in them is just ridiculous.Fish, vegetables, fruit, potato, rice, pasta are good for you. Avoid sugar, fat, cheese, red meat, chocolate, processsed food like sausages and hamburger.

Life without cheese is a life not worth living. Everything tastes better with the addition of either cheese or chocolate
bbcgoodfood.com/rec…ata
This is a favourite in my house. Very easy and full of veggies. I tend to just lob in whatever is in the fridge. Costs next to nothing and tastes divine. Another tip if you want to increase the veggie count on any dish is frozen spinach. Full of iron and a fraction of the cost of fresh. If you are making a curry or a stew, a couple of cubes of spinach are a great addition. Cooking from scratch is the key to cheap and healthy. It can be done with just a bit of forward planning.
Chicken stir-fry is one of my quick and easy favourites, One chicken breast (£1 from Muscle Foods), Paella rice and veg.
It makes enough for a meal the next day, although I do eat too much because I make it too tasty, could probably stretch it to three days if you eat sensibly... So thats 2/3 meals for less than £4 depending on how much you pay for your veg and rice.

Don't be shy with throwing in your spice combinations for flavour.
This time of year has to be stews, casseroles and soups. Using cheaper cuts of meat like shin of beef, which when cooked long and slow melts in the mouth and is fabulous. If you can cook more than you need and freeze so you don't become bored with the same meal.
phillred12 h, 4 m ago

What is Lazania ?

Well done.
Got anything productive to add?
psychobitchfromhell7 h, 44 m ago

Life without cheese is a life not worth living. Everything tastes better …Life without cheese is a life not worth living. Everything tastes better with the addition of either cheese or chocolate

i think cheese is ok but i would not go out to buy it unless it was on special offer and even then i would have to think twice as i don't like cheese that much.

i think chocolate is ok but again i would only buy one or two chocolate if they were on offer. i find chocolate added to my food can spoil it, so although i love cake, i don't like chocolate cake for example. i would certainly eat a chocolate cake if it was free or given to me, but i would not buy one.
Rice, pasty, potatoes are not expensive. Frozen mixed veg often works out cheaper. Buy an whole chicken, we can normally get 3 or 4 meals out of that. Add in some fresh fish - often going just before they close you can get load of fish for pennies that you can freeze.
We used to have about a fiver a week (nowaday that might be £20) to feed both of us and 2 young kids. It was hard but worth it because even now, when the kids of flown and we can afford a lot more, we eat cheaply. An example breakfast this morning was fried sliced potaoes, mushrooms, red pepers and egg :-)
Write a menu out for the next week or so and list the ingredients needed. Stick to that list when you get to the supermarket as going off list is usually expensive. Don't automatically buy non food items (shampoo, cleaning products etc) at the supermarket with your normal shopping as they are often dearer than they should be. Always cook larger portions than needed and freeze for later. We usually double up the veg in any recipe to make the meal go further too. Look to reduce your portion size too if you can, for example, cook a (double vegged) slow cooker meal and divide into 5 rather than 4 portions - that makes 1 free meal.
lamboo4 h, 56 m ago

Well done.Got anything productive to add?

Yes as howarth3 said use google or a spell checker
howarth316 h, 57 m ago

Google is your friend when it comes to spelling Italian dishes

You could just hit the supermarkets about 8pm when they reduce dated stock down in price. where I live Morrison's Asda and co-op are best bets to get bargains. Regularly get 9p stuff in there.
This book has been an absolute game changer for me : Tiny Budget Cooking by Limahl Asmall. He gives you meal plans, shopping lists and tips. He also has some free downloads too. HTH

amazon.co.uk/Tin…img
Loose fruit is quite cheap. You can get 5 bananas for 70 odd pence in Morrison's. Loose apples are quite cheap too, and both will fill you up. I like plenty of dry oats if I have cereals in the morning too, sprinkled with drinking chocolate powder so its lovely and chocolatey.
again cheap an filling.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants