Any Intel Xeon server recommendation to run Plex?

Found 14th Jun
Hi guys I want to buy a decent used intel Xeon server to run Plex. I need to do at least 2 4K HDR streams and 4 or 5 1080p streams. As I know intel Xeon e3 process has intel quick sync video feature which help Plex to do Hardware-Accelerated Streaming.

What do you guys recommend for me? Should I go for Xeon E3 or E5.

It’s a pleasure If you can provide any sever brand and models to look for.

Thank you very much guys
Community Updates
AskIntelServer
3 Comments
guys any ideas please????/
What do you mean by 'do streams'? Is it purely acting as a file server or do you want to do on the fly transcoding?

Quicksync is fixed function hardware for specific video formats (H.264, HEVC etc.), so you'll need a version that supports the formats you'll be transcoding to (or playing back if it's a plex client).

Presumably you want Xeon for ECC memory support? Some of the i3s also had that so don't rule them out if you're going to be using fixed function encoders.
EndlessWaves18 h, 0 m ago

What do you mean by 'do streams'? Is it purely acting as a file server or …What do you mean by 'do streams'? Is it purely acting as a file server or do you want to do on the fly transcoding?Quicksync is fixed function hardware for specific video formats (H.264, HEVC etc.), so you'll need a version that supports the formats you'll be transcoding to (or playing back if it's a plex client). Presumably you want Xeon for ECC memory support? Some of the i3s also had that so don't rule them out if you're going to be using fixed function encoders.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Yes I want to do on the fly transcoding sometimes when direct play isn’t available. I will use android tablets and iPad with plex app to watch movies apart from 4K tv.

Thank you for educate me about quick sync feature. I thought it’s working on every video on plex.

Yes for sure. I’m planing to run Plex on virtual machine on the server.

Please tell me which server is the best which supports raid with lot of hard disk space like 64TB max?

Thank you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants