Any kitchen experts about? shelves over hobs query.

Found 13th Aug 2017Edited by:"Fussy"
Hi - I am in the process of fitting some wooden box shelves (made of MDF with laminated oak look) in the kitchen (instead of wall cupboards). Fitted 2 so far and would like to fit another 2. They look really nice but the only problem I may have is one of the cupboards would need to go over the induction hob. There is no extraction fan/cooker hood. Would this be a fire risk? The distance from the hob to shelf would be 96cm. (37 inches).

If not is there any coating or protection available I can put on the underside of the shelf to protect from the heat and moisture when cooking. Also the shelves are for display purposes on

I've attached a pic for reference so you can see where I have hung the two shelves so far.
2763569.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I don't think it'd be a fire risk at that distance, but I do think moisture from using the hob will ruin the shelf. Especially as you say it's laminated.
Original Poster
Thanks. Yes I thought about the moisture issue but not sure apart from wiping it dry each time I use the hob whether there is any other solution
Not unusual for units to be fitted above a hob - sometimes without an extractor. Won't be a fire risk but the unit will get very greasy/grimy.
Original Poster
Agree.. will have to try and keep it clean.
Is that a double socket behind the hob ?
....and bars on the windows?
Original Poster
It's a blanking plate on the wall above the hob and yes the window does have bars! The house was previously used as commercial offices.. I haven't gotten around to taking the bars off yet but I don't them too much.
Cant have too much security
I'd rather have an extractor hood than a box shelf that's for display purposes only. Think of all the smells drifting around the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants