Any knob experts?

Posted 16th SepEdited by:"Donkii"
Ok the wife has bought some fancy, and bloody expensive door knobs, problem is they are unsprung and they are quite heavy (metal rose and a cermaic knob). I got a medium sprung latch and it doesn't seem strong enough to spring the knob back on its own, I did notice that when the bolt is through the latch perfectly a lined it will spring back. I haven't drilled any holes for the knobs as of yet. Basically I am asking do I need a stronger latch or do I just need to make sure the knobs on each side of the door are perfectly a lined so the bolt passes through perfectly straight.

I hope I discribed this correctly.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knob regarding it's springiness and how it isn't strong enough for what your wife wants to do with it. Have you thought about seeing your GP?
Sounds like a job for @mutley1
19 Comments
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knob regarding it's springiness and how it isn't strong enough for what your wife wants to do with it. Have you thought about seeing your GP?
Haircut_10016/09/2019 12:35

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knob regarding …I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knob regarding it's springiness and how it isn't strong enough for what your wife wants to do with it. Have you thought about seeing your GP?

Last night, due to my frustration with my knobs, I would have seen anyone if I thought it would help.
Sounds like a job for @mutley1
I would recommend you see your gp
Edited by: "_Tris_" 16th Sep
Haircut_10016/09/2019 12:35

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knob regarding …I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knob regarding it's springiness and how it isn't strong enough for what your wife wants to do with it. Have you thought about seeing your GP?

PMSL
morehandles.co.uk/blo…tch

There's a bit lower down about which latch to choose for unsprung handles

I accidentally ordered unsprung handles once but just stuck them in a box and bought some more as they wasn't expensive.
There’s definitely a few funny joke to be made here
Sounds like your wife isn't happy with her current knobs ability to open the doors
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 16th Sep
Mark_Hickman16/09/2019 14:29

Sounds like your wife isn't happy with her current knobs ability to open …Sounds like your wife isn't happy with her current knobs ability to open the doors

She is even less impressed with the knob trying to fit her knobs to her new doors.
Donkii16/09/2019 14:31

She is even less impressed with the knob trying to fit her knobs to her …She is even less impressed with the knob trying to fit her knobs to her new doors.

As long as you make sure the latch does not bind on interior of the door, and that the holes are lined up correctly then you wont have any issues.
I have fitted hundreds of different door furniture over the years when I was a carpenter and always used standard tubular latches on all.
38472624-lZuZj.jpg
lol, this thread is pure entertainment. i laughed so much at haircut_100 comment

OP - I can actually help you as I have so many issues with properties that I have actually come across this one! i had replaced a toilet door handle at a property a few months ago. the handle was heavy and so like you say it needs more push from the door catch to spring back. i had to replace the door catch and using the existing position for the new door catch, i found the handle would not spring back so i had to re-position the door catch in the door so that the door handle spindle would fit properly.

So in summary, you don't need a different latch as they should be strong enough for any door handle, but you need to position it correctly so that the spindle for the door handle can pass through the door unobstructed. Hope this helps
There’s some expert knobs on here
mutley116/09/2019 14:52

lol, this thread is pure entertainment. i laughed so much at … lol, this thread is pure entertainment. i laughed so much at haircut_100 comment OP - I can actually help you as I have so many issues with properties that I have actually come across this one! i had replaced a toilet door handle at a property a few months ago. the handle was heavy and so like you say it needs more push from the door catch to spring back. i had to replace the door catch and using the existing position for the new door catch, i found the handle would not spring back so i had to re-position the door catch in the door so that the door handle spindle would fit properly.So in summary, you don't need a different latch as they should be strong enough for any door handle, but you need to position it correctly so that the spindle for the door handle can pass through the door unobstructed. Hope this helps

This is my thinking l will just have to take my time and make sure the spindle goes through perfectly square, I too have fitted many a door handle but all were self sprung so they didn't have to be perfectly straight with each other. We have just got new doors fitted with a real wood veneer so didn't wanna make a hash of them.
Donkii16/09/2019 15:40

This is my thinking l will just have to take my time and make sure the …This is my thinking l will just have to take my time and make sure the spindle goes through perfectly square, I too have fitted many a door handle but all were self sprung so they didn't have to be perfectly straight with each other. We have just got new doors fitted with a real wood veneer so didn't wanna make a hash of them.

the toilet door in question was an old cheap door so it didn't matter if i messed it up. i had to use a chisel and hammer and chiselled the door to fit the new door latch. it took ages to do as I didn't want to chisel too much of the door and the latch had to be positioned perfectly for the spindle to fit correctly. i am not a carpenter and I am not even good at DIY! so I had to do it very slowly and very carefully and I took a big risk that I may need a new door if I chiselled too enthusiastically, but it paid off and not heard any complaints that the new door handle doesn't work
Can I ask Donkii, have you had better luck with knockers?
sean856616/09/2019 18:29

Can I ask Donkii, have you had better luck with knockers?

Like a ninja mate .
get her too give them a polish they will ok
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants