Any Kodi Experts here?

Found 4th Oct 2017
Morning all,

I'm looking for an addon for Kodi that'll play content from USB and that's dead simple to use.
I have a mate that gets sent review copy, mostly in 4k. The built in player in the TV (Sony XD80) won't play the audio on some of the files, but Kodi will.

What I need is something he can click on that will scan the USB ports and show the file that's there so he can just click on it. I know it can be done by the Kodi file manager, but he's SO not technical he can't manage that (no, really!).

Anyone know if there's is such an addon?

Thanks.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

How is he accessing Kodi?

Kodi is literally a media player, this is its main purpose, so unlikely to see an add on.

Just select videos > files > memory stick (it'll show the name or an ID like A0R4-57KS) and it will show all the files on the memory stick. Not sure it can get simpler.

I think Plex might be easier if thats all you want to use it for.

I was thinking that if accessing Kodi via an Android box that has a USB port then one of the media player apps, VLC, MX Player etc. might be a simpler option.

Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
In order,

Kodi is installed on the TV, the SonyXD80 runs Android.

He can't use a file manager! I know, I know, if it involves more than pointing at a file and pressing play it's too hard for him.

Never used Plex? But I'll look.

Tried both VLC and MX. One won't play the audio the other won't play anything, it just shows a black screen with the 'working' wheel spinning forever.

dcx_badass already gave you the answer

Your have to change from the default skin to Confluence to follow these instructions, I forgot they changed the default skin in the latest.

On the Kodi Main Menu your see it says Videos, below that it says Files, select Files, when in files select Add Videos, in the windows that pops up select Browse, then navigate to the USB drive and select the folder with the videos in then click ok, then ok again.

From there you have two choices,

1 - you can either choose "Exclude Selected Folder From Scan" then click ok. That folder should now be visible in files. If you want to watch something in the future just navigate to that folder in files.

or

2 - Select "This Directory Contains" and choose Movie or TV then click ok, then it will scan them all, when finished your have another Menu item in the main menu, it will be either Movies or TV.

If you want to use Kodi that's what you have to do there's no alternative.

FYI - MX player doesn't support DTS audio as it doesn't have the licensing, so you have to install the codecs yourself, it's very easy just install the correct Zip from below.

mxplayerdownload.co/mx-…oad
Edited by: "4Real2016" 4th Oct 2017

OllieSt6 h, 27 m ago

I think Plex might be easier if thats all you want to use it for.

This.

steve12216 h, 4 m ago

Thanks for the feedback.In order, Kodi is installed on the TV, the …Thanks for the feedback.In order, Kodi is installed on the TV, the SonyXD80 runs Android.He can't use a file manager! I know, I know, if it involves more than pointing at a file and pressing play it's too hard for him.Never used Plex? But I'll look.Tried both VLC and MX. One won't play the audio the other won't play anything, it just shows a black screen with the 'working' wheel spinning forever.

VLC won't play audio! Wow, VLC pretty much plays anything that's thrown at it. What is the file format?

4Real201615 h, 10 m ago

dcx_badass already gave you the answerYour have to change from the default …dcx_badass already gave you the answerYour have to change from the default skin to Confluence to follow these instructions, I forgot they changed the default skin in the latest.On the Kodi Main Menu your see it says Videos, below that it says Files, select Files, when in files select Add Videos, in the windows that pops up select Browse, then navigate to the USB drive and select the folder with the videos in then click ok, then ok again.From there you have two choices, 1 - you can either choose "Exclude Selected Folder From Scan" then click ok. That folder should now be visible in files. If you want to watch something in the future just navigate to that folder in files.or2 - Select "This Directory Contains" and choose Movie or TV then click ok, then it will scan them all, when finished your have another Menu item in the main menu, it will be either Movies or TV.If you want to use Kodi that's what you have to do there's no alternative.FYI - MX player doesn't support DTS audio as it doesn't have the licensing, so you have to install the codecs yourself, it's very easy just install the correct Zip from below.https://mxplayerdownload.co/mx-player-custom-codec-download

Mx player doesn't support ac3 still on some devices. Mx player refuses to play audio on my Android m8s tv box. I have downloaded the codec but still wont play ac3 audio. It's damn annoying as I have to use vlc which is pretty crap as resume doesn't work.

Use VLC, it plays almost anything.

Just Google the software, it's available all over the place

Edit: ok I see u tried VLC, very surprised it doesn't work, always plays everything for me.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 5th Oct 2017

Original Poster

OllieSt13 h, 53 m ago

VLC won't play audio! Wow, VLC pretty much plays anything that's thrown …VLC won't play audio! Wow, VLC pretty much plays anything that's thrown at it. What is the file format?

The doc that came with the 2 files states that the audio is DTS 7.1/Atmos and then gives a half page run down on how to setup your audio system to play them. Which seems a bit of overkill, but there you go.
I have a feeling that VLC doesn't like the mix of 4k and DTS? I can't find DTS updates for Android, but as Kodi plays the files it's not a problem.

4Real201620 h, 5 m ago

dcx_badass already gave you the answerYour have to change from the default …dcx_badass already gave you the answerYour have to change from the default skin to Confluence to follow these instructions, I forgot they changed the default skin in the latest.On the Kodi Main Menu your see it says Videos, below that it says Files, select Files, when in files select Add Videos, in the windows that pops up select Browse, then navigate to the USB drive and select the folder with the videos in then click ok, then ok again.From there you have two choices, 1 - you can either choose "Exclude Selected Folder From Scan" then click ok. That folder should now be visible in files. If you want to watch something in the future just navigate to that folder in files.or2 - Select "This Directory Contains" and choose Movie or TV then click ok, then it will scan them all, when finished your have another Menu item in the main menu, it will be either Movies or TV.If you want to use Kodi that's what you have to do there's no alternative.FYI - MX player doesn't support DTS audio as it doesn't have the licensing, so you have to install the codecs yourself, it's very easy just install the correct Zip from below.https://mxplayerdownload.co/mx-player-custom-codec-download

You don't need to do any of that, or change skin, it should just list the memory stick when you select files, you'll have the add option or the memory stick listed.

chocci6 h, 10 m ago

Mx player doesn't support ac3 still on some devices. Mx player refuses to …Mx player doesn't support ac3 still on some devices. Mx player refuses to play audio on my Android m8s tv box. I have downloaded the codec but still wont play ac3 audio. It's damn annoying as I have to use vlc which is pretty crap as resume doesn't work.

I'll have to take your word for it as I don't own that box.

dcx_badass1 h, 15 m ago

You don't need to do any of that, or change skin, it should just list the …You don't need to do any of that, or change skin, it should just list the memory stick when you select files, you'll have the add option or the memory stick listed.

Yeah your right I forgot it does that when you use a USB stick, lol

steve12213 h, 47 m ago

but as Kodi plays the files it's not a problem.

Why don't you just set kodi to scan the USB at startup, then all he has to do is select Movies/TV from the main menu.

I really don't know why they removed the option in Kodi to make any window the default startup window, would have solved your problem instantly.

RiverDragon811 h, 49 m ago

Download MX player Pro apk (with AC3 & DTS) from a torrent site. Then …Download MX player Pro apk (with AC3 & DTS) from a torrent site. Then switch from HW decoder to SW decoder for sound, click.

Already use pro version and tried all the decoder settings but still get message 'ac3 format is not supported'. I use the armv7 neon codec . Think I'll give it another try later. Cheers
Edited by: "chocci" 7th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions