Found 21st Feb 2009
Ok firstly sorry for any non technical words I will use as I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
My OH has just called, he's been doing an oil change round my dads and was having trouble getting the sump(?) out. He done it in the end but the thread(or something like that) came out with it. Now its got an oil leak.

Does anybody know how much that will cost to repair? Can it be repaired even, or will he need to get a new sump? He has a T reg (facelift) Vectra, 1.6.

I'll be really grateful for any help as I am not looking forward to the cost! Have just had to buy a new cooker....

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

I assume the sump bolt came out. Has the thread been stripped off the bolt or the thread on the sump?

If the thread has been damaged on the bolt, then a new sump bolt might solve the problem.

If the sump has been damaged then it will probably be a new sump. Not sure about the cost, but all the oil will need to be drained again as well.

yea,

unfortunately that's going to cost quite a bit if the thread was ripped out.

its usually the sump bolt that the thread goes, thats why you should buy a new bolt with every oil filter, should only coast 50p from a vauxhall dealer..

Original Poster

andrewr;4445469

I assume the sump bolt came out. Has the thread been stripped off the … I assume the sump bolt came out. Has the thread been stripped off the bolt or the thread on the sump?If the thread has been damaged on the bolt, then a new sump bolt might solve the problem.If the sump has been damaged then it will probably be a new sump. Not sure about the cost, but all the oil will need to be drained again as well.

Have just called him and my dad said its the sump thats damaged looks like its going to be a new one after all.....

Hopefully try the scrap yard and see if we can get a 2nd hand one....?

Thanks for your help. Rep given:thumbsup:

to be honest, it's quite likely that the thread on the sump has stripped caused by numpties over tightening the sump plug....will need to replace the sump or maybe get the hole drilled and tapped or helicoiled but the sump will need to come off to get that done. Shouldn't be too expensive though

Original Poster

niallmoran;4445527

to be honest, it's quite likely that the thread on the sump has stripped … to be honest, it's quite likely that the thread on the sump has stripped caused by numpties over tightening the sump plug....will need to replace the sump or maybe get the hole drilled and tapped or helicoiled but the sump will need to come off to get that done. Shouldn't be too expensive though

Thanks, i'll tell him that. I'd normally say he was that numpty but he's only had the car a couple of months so unfortunately I can't blame him :whistling:

They have got the sump off...i think.
Thanks, rep added :thumbsup:

£80-£90 for a new sump + about £15 for a new gasket or you could use a gasket seal ( Like a tube of glue ) which apparently is better than a gasket? about £8 a tube.

Or you could have it rethreaded which would require a larger diameter bolt.

Personally I'd opt for the new sump.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition55510
    2. Free flights to Europe79
    3. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…22
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1616

See more discussions