Any Mechanics in the House?

Posted 29th Nov
My cousin took her car to get a MOT yesterday and it failed with the following problems........

3350503-uJJJ9.jpg
She was told by a friend to take it to another garage today and it passed the MOT with the only work carried out being the changing of a bulb and the tightening of a U clip around the exhaust.

How could the first garage be so wrong or do you think something dodgy is going on?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
A total non surprise. 20 years ago, the Coventry Volvo dealer tried to fail my 850 with 50k on the clock for worn bushes. I refused to accept it and took it to a trusted garage who said there was wear but no problem. The dealer weasled there way out by saying they had checked with the ministry blah blah blah. Of course they didnt but they cound't just retract

The next year, I took it to Startford where they said the discs and pads needed replacing. Same routine. Same result

I believe in FDSH. Every year, a dealer tells me my disks and pads need replacing. Every year, my trusted garage tells me the truth.

The new test allows them to fail it and not let it be driven off the premises so rip offs are common.

send your comment to letters@honestjohn.co.uk
ccnp29/11/2019 16:30

A total non surprise. 20 years ago, the Coventry Volvo dealer tried to …A total non surprise. 20 years ago, the Coventry Volvo dealer tried to fail my 850 with 50k on the clock for worn bushes. I refused to accept it and took it to a trusted garage who said there was wear but no problem. The dealer weasled there way out by saying they had checked with the ministry blah blah blah. Of course they didnt but they cound't just retractThe next year, I took it to Startford where they said the discs and pads needed replacing. Same routine. Same resultI believe in FDSH. Every year, a dealer tells me my disks and pads need replacing. Every year, my trusted garage tells me the truth. The new test allows them to fail it and not let it be driven off the premises so rip offs are common.send your comment to letters@honestjohn.co.uk

The garage was a well known company that did the first MOT.
I'm just a bit worried about the note about the suspension.
I had MOT advisory my rear brakes are low, the following year I submitted the car without changing the brakes and it passed without the advisory from the previous year and test carried out by same tester.
You could also argue how could the second garage be so wrong? I'd want to be very sure about that suspension
I would have taken it to a council MOT testing centre.
psychobitchfromhell29/11/2019 16:47

You could also argue how could the second garage be so wrong? I'd want to …You could also argue how could the second garage be so wrong? I'd want to be very sure about that suspension

As above. Who's to say the first test station was correct the second did a sloppy job? They both can't be right.

I'd do the easy things - Check nearside rear coil-spring and the front offside CV boot. Can you see anything matching the defects quoted?
Coil spring and cv joint should be easy to check. Does the suspension arm look corroded?

Wouldn't be surprising for a car with 140,000 miles to need suspension refresh
The coil spring is either fractured/ broken or it isn’t. The same goes for the suspension arm.
I would ask a third garage to check and for a quote.
Was the 2nd garage a friend of a friend?
samosa29/11/2019 16:44

I had MOT advisory my rear brakes are low, the following year I submitted …I had MOT advisory my rear brakes are low, the following year I submitted the car without changing the brakes and it passed without the advisory from the previous year and test carried out by same tester.

Almost the same thing. Ford dealership service on a Galaxy we had.......... Said the pads needed doing so I said I'll get them done at some point.
12 months and 8k miles later next service nothing mentioned - same pads.
.Griff.29/11/2019 16:58

As above. Who's to say the first test station was correct the second did a …As above. Who's to say the first test station was correct the second did a sloppy job? They both can't be right.I'd do the easy things - Check nearside rear coil-spring and the front offside CV boot. Can you see anything matching the defects quoted?

It's my cousins car, so I don't know.
Loading.......29/11/2019 17:13

The coil spring is either fractured/ broken or it isn’t. The same goes for …The coil spring is either fractured/ broken or it isn’t. The same goes for the suspension arm.I would ask a third garage to check and for a quote.Was the 2nd garage a friend of a friend?

It was
mas9929/11/2019 17:04

Coil spring and cv joint should be easy to check. Does the suspension arm …Coil spring and cv joint should be easy to check. Does the suspension arm look corroded?Wouldn't be surprising for a car with 140,000 miles to need suspension refresh

I'm not sure tbh as it's my cousin's car.
chimp14uk29/11/2019 18:32

It was

Then at the very p, very least get the coil spring replaced, 30 minute job, you wouldn’t want it to go on the motorway and rip into your sidewall, trust me.
Loading.......29/11/2019 18:34

Then at the very p, very least get the coil spring replaced, 30 minute …Then at the very p, very least get the coil spring replaced, 30 minute job, you wouldn’t want it to go on the motorway and rip into your sidewall, trust me.

Thanks
Rear coil spring can be easy to miss especially if it's right at the end. I'd want to get the corroded arm checked again tho
chimp14uk29/11/2019 18:33

I'm not sure tbh as it's my cousin's car.

ok so it's your cousins car and you don't know the ins and outs. One garage says it's ok to drive and another says it is a deathtrap. If it was your car and it had failed so badly, wouldn't you be very concerned all of a sudden it passed?
psychobitchfromhell29/11/2019 20:19

ok so it's your cousins car and you don't know the ins and outs. One …ok so it's your cousins car and you don't know the ins and outs. One garage says it's ok to drive and another says it is a deathtrap. If it was your car and it had failed so badly, wouldn't you be very concerned all of a sudden it passed?

Exactly, I am very worried indeed.
I did raise my concerns, but she's not bothered tbh.
chimp14uk29/11/2019 20:27

Exactly, I am very worried indeed.I did raise my concerns, but she's not …Exactly, I am very worried indeed.I did raise my concerns, but she's not bothered tbh.

It's a high.mileage car with the possibility of some serious faults. I'd be concerned , especially as the fact there is a child seat fitted would suggest kids could be involved.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 29th Nov
The "Oh you need new discs and pads" routine seems to be a common theme.

Main Mercedes dealer at 40k service on my wife's Smart ForTwo "Oh you need new discs and pads"

I declined, I normally do my own work but the car was under warranty, but I still kept an eye on it, so knew the discs and pads were fine.
I kept monitoring the pads and when the car got to 100k miles I figured they must be worn out now. The pads still had about 4mm of material on them and the disks were still way over the minimum thickness.

Poor car was written off at 120k (rear ended) I was gutted, I planned on getting 200k out of it (seriously lol)
Sadly, there is no consistency with MOT tests..
Council run ones, supposedly most honest.. -as they will NOT be repairing your vehicle.
At the end of the day, it's STILL the person doing the tests 'opinion/interpretation' of the regulations..
renoman01/12/2019 23:20

Sadly, there is no consistency with MOT tests..Council run ones, …Sadly, there is no consistency with MOT tests..Council run ones, supposedly most honest.. -as they will NOT be repairing your vehicle.At the end of the day, it's STILL the person doing the tests 'opinion/interpretation' of the regulations..

I agree, last year when I picked my car up from it's MOT the owner came out and said "this was done by colleague, if I had done it I would have failed on the number plate having too big a gap between letters".
So the same number plate that had gone through the last 11 mots without mention and even your colleague didn't mention it. Suffice to say this year I went elsewhere in case he did it himself this time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants