Expired

Any Mechanics or Toyota Yaris owners here?!

Found 19th May 2012
I have a bit of a strange issue with my 2006 Toyota Yaris T2.

Last Thursday whilst leaving a slip road off the motorway my car lost all electrical power steering. I managed to get it to a service station and pulled over. I switched the engine off to have a look at the car but couldn't get it started so had to Jump start it.
The strange thing is, I got no battery warning light, or any other warning lights for that matter. After a bit of potching around we got the battery tested and they said the battery had lost power so I replaced it.

Everything was fine but today, I was in a petrol station, put petrol in the car and couldn't drive off. My old man came out and we got it jump started and managed to get it home.
We have checked the fuses to the best of our ability but the strange thing is, when putting the keys in the ignition and turning them to the point before you actually start the engine, all the instrument lights appear except for the battery light but the car will not start unless it is jump started.

It is going to the garage on Monday but I have no idea what it is but my old man says that if it was an issue with the alternator surely the battery warning light would come on and stay on but it doesn't?!

We are both really confused.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Community Updates
MiscToyota
21 Comments
Bad/loose wiring from the battery to alternator/starter motor most likely. Bulb dead?
Edited by: "Shengis" 19th May 2012
Original Poster
the bulb could be dead but there is no way I am going to take the dash apart. Would a bad earth from the alternator be costly to repair?
brettytopbanana

Would a bad earth from the alternator be costly to repair?

DIY v Garage? DIY it can be done with bits most likely you already have in the shed and a few minutes time, garage = proper parts plus labour fees
Original Poster
id have to get it done in a garage I would have no idea what I am doing.
Might be the +v that's loose. Really you need to get a multimeter/battery tester and check the voltage at various points with the engine running. If its all at around 12v then the alternators facked, if its 14v+ at any point its a wiring problem after that point.
harlzter

DIY v Garage? DIY it can be done with bits most likely you already have … DIY v Garage? DIY it can be done with bits most likely you already have in the shed and a few minutes time, garage = proper parts plus labour fees

Checking the cables to the alternator shouldn't be a problem, I would run a meter over the battery terminals when it is on and check for the voltage, measure it when car is on and off, if it is higher when car is on, then the alternator is working and you are looking at a cable.
brettytopbanana

and couldn't drive off. My old man came out......

oO Why, how long was you stuck there?
Original Poster
are alternators expensive?! I know they are not going to be cheap but how much are they roughly?
brettytopbanana

are alternators expensive?! I know they are not going to be cheap but how … are alternators expensive?! I know they are not going to be cheap but how much are they roughly?

About £30 + vat partshark.co.uk/use…90/
Original Poster
thats ounds too cheap and im suspecting its a used alternator? I have just had a look and I am getting prices of £270. oO
Either a dodgy alternator or quite possibly a faulty ignition switch.
brettytopbanana

thats ounds too cheap and im suspecting its a used alternator? I have … thats ounds too cheap and im suspecting its a used alternator? I have just had a look and I am getting prices of £270. oO

used-car-parts-breaking-vehicles/toyota/yaris/ksp90/

NSS! the names in the link gave that bit away!
The alternator shouldn't make the car stop it would either make it not start or lights and electrics would dim or go off. But it def does sound like an electrical prob.
rsmyth

The alternator shouldn't make the car stop it would either make it not … The alternator shouldn't make the car stop it would either make it not start or lights and electrics would dim or go off. But it def does sound like an electrical prob.

I'd put money on it being something electrical in some way shape or form.

Does it try to turn over from the ignition, can you hear the starter motor turning?
Surprised this hasn't been asked already!
It's a t2 and it has an electrical problem.
ZOMG.
Sorry but I think there's another underlying problem, Have you noticed anything different about the car? ie it's been taking more fuel ect.
EDIT: I reccomend getting all your car electrics sorted out. Get your cars ecu checked. In my opinion there's somthing wrong with your ecu.

Edited by: "gpawan" 19th May 2012
Original Poster
gpawan

It's a t2 and it has an electrical problem.ZOMG.Sorry but I think there's … It's a t2 and it has an electrical problem.ZOMG.Sorry but I think there's another underlying problem, Have you noticed anything different about the car? ie it's been taking more fuel ect.EDIT: I reccomend getting all your car electrics sorted out. Get your cars ecu checked. In my opinion there's somthing wrong with your ecu.

No the car has been amazing on fuel to be fair.
Banned
TSB for the 07 Yaris charging system, one of the DIY solutions is here, essentially what it's saying is the 2007 models suffer with poor and corroding rectifiers on the alternator and swapping out the whole alternator or replacing (and cleaning the terminals) the rectifier from a 2008 will solve some issues.

Charging systems are relatively simple, you have one component that charges and the rest of the car draws.

Edited by: "dga" 19th May 2012
Original Poster
I am hoping the car isn't in the garage for very long because I cannot afford it to be.
The most annoying thing with cars is that there is no knowing what the issue is most of the time.
Hi,
my wife's car has just done this exact behaviour. Can you tell me if it was faulty wiring, bad earth or the alternator???
Thanks,
Paul
Original Poster
Wow this is a blast from the past! It was the alternator so I had to have that replaced.
thanks, yip same thing for me. Got an electrical person to test and repair it, apparently its seems to be a common fault.
Got the regulator replaced so saved a few pounds.
Thanks for replying
Merry Xmas.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants