Groups

any mechanics out there have i been overcharged ?

Got an old corsa took it to garage to have new water pump and fan belt fitted and agreed a price inc of vat, then he called me today and said he had fitted new thermostat as well and it would cost £65 more

39 Comments

Banned

oO £65 for the thermostat

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

oO £65 for the thermostat

yes

Banned

aint they about £15 + half hours labour?

If he fitted it without you agreeing then don't pay

Original Poster

looks like he is over charging me but am picking car up tomoro and not sure what to do
    Edited by: "pink" 23rd Dec 2010

Tell him you didn't agree to thermostat being replaced and not prepared to pay for it.

Cost price plus half an hour probably wouldn't be far off £65 come to think of it. £25 part £40 labour, it's a rip off though as it's an easy job

Original Poster

notts6501

Tell him you didn't agree to thermostat being replaced and not prepared … Tell him you didn't agree to thermostat being replaced and not prepared to pay for it.

if i do that he might take it out leaving me with no thermostat now

I would tell him you never asked for it to be fitted & you can only afford a extra £20....take it or leave it.......What choice does he have :-)

transit

A coincidence?...i think … A coincidence?...i think not.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-f4-ecogreen-2tb-32mb-5400rp/833756

I'm not a mechanic but what has a thermostat Vauxhall Corsa got to do with a Sata Internal harddrive

pink

He put your old one back in and get it from somewhere else!!

Parts here eurocarparts.com/

Plus guess the part he supplied wont be a original and probably an after market one???
    Edited by: "Naeem786" 23rd Dec 2010

pink

He can but he will have to replace your old one. If he has thrown it away he is liable.

notts6501

I'm not a mechanic but what has a thermostat Vauxhall Corsa got to do … I'm not a mechanic but what has a thermostat Vauxhall Corsa got to do with a Sata Internal harddrive

Lol.

Original Poster

notts6501

I'm not a mechanic but what has a thermostat Vauxhall Corsa got to do … I'm not a mechanic but what has a thermostat Vauxhall Corsa got to do with a Sata Internal harddrive

Lol thought i was a bit thick because i didnt get it

Banned

Phone a main dealer and ask them how much to supply and fit, you then have a guide to what the maximum price should be

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

I would tell him you never asked for it to be fitted & you can only … I would tell him you never asked for it to be fitted & you can only afford a extra £20....take it or leave it.......What choice does he have :-)

Think I will try that, he originally quoted £120 inclusive so £185 is a big difference

pink

Think I will try that, he originally quoted £120 inclusive so £185 is a b … Think I will try that, he originally quoted £120 inclusive so £185 is a big difference

Well he can't refuse to give you the car back as that would then be theft & he should have asked first.
    Rule 1: Always let a Man take the Car to get fixed.
    Rule 2: Never let a Woman take a Car to get fixed.

Banned

pink

Think I will try that, he originally quoted £120 inclusive so £185 is a b … Think I will try that, he originally quoted £120 inclusive so £185 is a big difference

Did you get any other quotes?
    £120 seems excessive as well

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Did you get any other quotes?£120 seems excessive as well

yes got one of £130 not including vat and not including the unplanned thermostat

Dont you have to flush and fill with antifreeze as well when changing thermostat ?

Supermod

You do not have to pay the £65 as the work was unauthorised. They cannot have a lien over your car because if you settle the balance minus the £65 they have to release the car to you.
    Edited by: "magicjay1986" 24th Dec 2010

Tell them you didn't agree to the work so they can remove the new thermostat and reinstall the original thermostat . If they have not kept your thermostat ( I believe they are obliged to) then they will have to remedy the situation themselves.

Edited by: "newbie1001" 24th Dec 2010

Banned

deanos

Dont you have to flush and fill with antifreeze as well when changing … Dont you have to flush and fill with antifreeze as well when changing thermostat ?

Yes but that would have been done when the water pump was replaced.

My guess he's replaced the water pump and it didn't fix the problem so he's replaced the thermostat and it's fixed the problem.

1st he should have asked your permission

2nd if he had ran a computer diagnostic test he would have seen the thermostat was faulty and not the pump.

WheresMeNuts

I would tell him you never asked for it to be fitted & you can only … I would tell him you never asked for it to be fitted & you can only afford a extra £20....take it or leave it.......What choice does he have :-)

The garage will just keep the car until the invoice has been settled in full, they may add storage charges on top of that.

Just pay the bill, it isn't excessive.

It obviously required changing.

Banned

they cannot keep your car if you pay for the agreed work only.. They can't keep your car.. Imagine your gyres were bald so they fitted tyres to keep the car 'road legal' but you never authorised them fitting.. They wouldn't be able to just keep your car unless you pay!

kcnw9

they cannot keep your car if you pay for the agreed work only.. They … they cannot keep your car if you pay for the agreed work only.. They can't keep your car.. Imagine your gyres were bald so they fitted tyres to keep the car 'road legal' but you never authorised them fitting.. They wouldn't be able to just keep your car unless you pay!

This is related work, nothing to do with " gyres " or even tyres.

If you moan and they agree then I wouldn't leave the car with them.
    Call me cynical but they may do some dodgy damage to the car that you won't know untill a few weeks down the line.
    imo pay the price and ask them for the thermostat they took off your car and see if anyone can check it out for you, the chances are they will give you a duff one anyway.
    In the future use someone else or ask friends for recommendation to another mechanic.

I had it done to me by a main ford garage about 20 years ago and they said they changed the part because it was dangerous for them to let me drive it off. - paid and never went back to them

I think the point that has been said but missed is you can't put a car in to a garage to say the Tyres need fixed & then get a call to say hey just to let you know we have had to replace a cylinder head gasket for you & it will be another £500 added to the bill & if you don't pay we will keep the car.Now I'm no expert but is this not illegal & like blackmail if it was legal ?

If I was to put my PC in to the shop to get fixed & the guy said Yes it's the Hard drive that's goosed & will cost £45 to fix & I agree only to get a phone call a few hours later for the guy to say hey the PC hard drive is now fixed but we noticed the Motherboard was faulty & so have replaced the Motherboard & will add £115 to the bill.Of course if you don't pay we will keep the PC :-/
    Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 24th Dec 2010

Banned

Seems like the mechanic has done the right thing....imagine how OP would react if he had picked up the car for the mechanic to say we changed what was agreed, but we realised that it needed a new thermostat so we put it all back together and we can put the new thermostat on in January...we will have to charge you twice for draining the system and charge you again for new antifreeze and don't drive it until then or you will blow a head gasket and possibly warp the head.....Happy Christmas, sorry we couldn't be more helpful.

The Mechanic should be calling the customer to tell them that something else needs sorted.How does the Mechanic know if the customer can or can't afford the new part without asking them first ?

Banned

You don't know all the circumstances....the mechanic may have only had a short while in which to get the next parts deliver order in, or he may have had other customers cars waiting that he wonted to have ready by Christmas for them....Not all mechanics are lying cheats. Some actually try and do their best to help a customer and prevent further breakdowns by being thorough. If the water pump had failed it's quite plausible that the thermostat also got damaged when over heating. and in this weather OP is lucky to find a reasonably price mechanic that could fit it in before the Christmas break.

Banned

not really overpriced.....some garages would charge double that

depends on the location/facilities etc etc

not really enough info to make a clear judgement

No matter what any of us say the garage was wrong to do it,Because the customer never gave the go-ahead & they are unhappy about it as you can see by the OP.

Banned

WheresMeNuts

No matter what any of us say the garage was wrong to do it,Because the … No matter what any of us say the garage was wrong to do it,Because the customer never gave the go-ahead & they are unhappy about it as you can see by the OP.

nope she simply asked if shed been overcharged.......

the answerfrom the given info would be .......NO

Original Poster

hey thanks for your replies, as it happens spoke to man and he agreed he had made a mistake and we split the difference so all in all am happy with job done

Banned

pink

hey thanks for your replies, as it happens spoke to man and he agreed he … hey thanks for your replies, as it happens spoke to man and he agreed he had made a mistake and we split the difference so all in all am happy with job done

Well done.

WheresMeNuts

Well he can't refuse to give you the car back as that would then be theft … Well he can't refuse to give you the car back as that would then be theft & he should have asked first.Rule 1: Always let a Man take the Car to get fixed.Rule 2: Never let a Woman take a Car to get fixed.

good rules, what about ladyboys and trannies?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2644
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …66114
      3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48410865
      4. Anyone else find Playerunknown super addictive but soooo frustrating33

See more discussions