any Media Player recommendations?

Banned 12 replies
Found 28th Jun 2010
Basically I have some BR & DVD (so needs to play SD & HD) quality films and TV series stored digitally (you know the score!) and currently they get transferred from a Netbook to a 1.5TB HDD. Its a Samsung Internal HDD in a LaCie external box so it looks pretty enough to stick by the TV but when I want to watch something I have to plug it into the Netbook and using TVersity stream to the PS3.

What I am after is something that i can permanently leave by the TV etc so I can watch something without having to fiddle about getting HDD plugged to Netbook, streaming etc.

Can anyone recommend any players that I could buy instead? dont mind if I use the existing HDD via USB or scrap the caddy and stick the HDD directly into the player.

All I ask is the player is black and not to ugly and can be controlled via remote (I have a Harmony so doesnt need to come with a remote).

I'd like a nice looking screen...not just a list of files like I have now if possible...I've seen some that have a BR/DVD cover rather than a file name and some that have details etc. I just want something to look more pro than a Windows screen basically.

12 Comments

what about one of them revo machines with the HDMI out brah?

was quite a long thread on here a while back and people had installed XBMC onto it and just general chat in relation to it.

edit: here it is
hotukdeals.com/ite…nly

Banned

I'd have been all over this deal if I didn't already have the Asrock 330HT - hotukdeals.com/ite…e=1

Original Poster Banned

numptyj;8931083

what about one of them revo machines with the HDMI out brah?was quite a … what about one of them revo machines with the HDMI out brah?was quite a long thread on here a while back and people had installed XBMC onto it and just general chat in relation to it.edit: here it ishttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/602529/the-best-media-centre-ever-now-only

master_chief;8931162

I'd have been all over this deal if I didn't already have the Asrock … I'd have been all over this deal if I didn't already have the Asrock 330HT - http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/702471/acer-aspire-revo-r3610-dual-core-n3?page=1

Yeah MC said the same thing, just dont know how much of an effort the Revo would be to sort, whereas these other ones seem quick and easy, straightforward and tidy, whereas the Revo looks like a mini PC...

maybe though

Banned

ODB_69;8931354

Yeah MC said the same thing, just dont know how much of an effort the … Yeah MC said the same thing, just dont know how much of an effort the Revo would be to sort, whereas these other ones seem quick and easy, straightforward and tidy, whereas the Revo looks like a mini PC...maybe though

I have the Popcorn Hour A110 (currently loaned out), which is a fine enough player for most people's use. Most of the similar players on the market use the same hardware.

Original Poster Banned

master_chief;8931427

I have the Popcorn Hour A110 (currently loaned out), which is a fine … I have the Popcorn Hour A110 (currently loaned out), which is a fine enough player for most people's use. Most of the similar players on the market use the same hardware.

yeah I was looking at the C200 I think it was...tbh dont see the big difference between them and a lot of others. I just thought the Mede8er one looked quite tidy and I can use my existing HDD from the LaCie and pop it in that. Plus seems to play everything and I can plug into Home Cinema

The nice tidy 'themed' screen is a big sellig point for me...I just dont know which is easiest etc

Banned

ODB_69;8931465

yeah I was looking at the C200 I think it was...tbh dont see the big … yeah I was looking at the C200 I think it was...tbh dont see the big difference between them and a lot of others. I just thought the Mede8er one looked quite tidy and I can use my existing HDD from the LaCie and pop it in that. Plus seems to play everything and I can plug into Home CinemaThe nice tidy 'themed' screen is a big sellig point for me...I just dont know which is easiest etc

Mede8er doesn't support HD audio which would put me off. Aside from that it looks quite nice. What's the support like? Decent forum?

Original Poster Banned

master_chief;8931484

Mede8er doesn't support HD audio which would put me off. Aside from that … Mede8er doesn't support HD audio which would put me off. Aside from that it looks quite nice. What's the support like? Decent forum?

no idea...not looked tbh

I thought it was HD audio, sure I saw it say that

Banned

ODB_69;8931551

no idea...not looked tbhI thought it was HD audio, sure I saw it say that

From the spec list:

Dolby digital - support decode & bypass
Dolby TrueHD - not supported --
Dolby digital Plus - support decode - bypass is in testing
Dolby digital EX - support - compatible up to 5.1
Dolby digital Pulse - not supported
DTS digital Surround - support decode & bypass
DTS-HD Master Audio - not supported -
DTS-ES - not supported

Original Poster Banned

ah ****

back to the drawing board

Ever considered one of these:

engadget.com/201…pl/

I have a mate that swears by it, although I haven't used it personally.

Not used one myself, but have heard good things about the Xtreamer.

]http//ww…et/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951380
    2. Show us your Photos 2017. October's Theme - 'Anything'32486
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247615
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604803

See more discussions