Groups

Any mortgage advisors on here with a little info?

How easy is it to get a mortgage when self employed? I currently have a mortgage with the soon to be ex wife with an equity of 80000, she is refusing to sell or put the house on the market. The youngest has just turned 16 this week so I have at least 2 years before I can go to court etc.
    Being self employed with a mortgage already how hard would it be for me to apply independently for a new one and what would I need account wise?

9 Comments

go speak with a mortgage broker, especially for contractors.
    there are a few out there.
    In summary, it is how the broker put your case forward to a lender that understands contractors/self employed. It is not common but there are some big lenders that does it, which the broker will explain more. If they are good, the amount you can borrow should be similar to any other with a permanent job.
    They will ask how long you have self employed for, if its continuous, and so on. A very rough guideline is 4x salary

sounds like you are going to be stuffed unless you earn a lot of money (and declare it ). harder to get a mortgage as self employed.

Not easy if your SE these days, assuming your up to date with your current Lender and have no missed payments etc, why not give them a call and explain your proposal, after all they have your current payment history records on tap.

You will also need to take into account the extra stamp duty as you will be purchasing a second home.

ThePasty5 m ago

You will also need to take into account the extra stamp duty as you will …You will also need to take into account the extra stamp duty as you will be purchasing a second home.

i don't think this applies to couples who are officially separated.

Original Poster

We have never missed a payment and had the mortgage since 2005. What sort of info do they need? When we took out the initial mortgage it was self certified and was very easy (I was self employed then as well) Some sites suggest it's 3 years of books! I haven't been back trading for 3 years! Do they need full accounts or bank statements etc

sdoherty100016 m ago

We have never missed a payment and had the mortgage since 2005. What sort …We have never missed a payment and had the mortgage since 2005. What sort of info do they need? When we took out the initial mortgage it was self certified and was very easy (I was self employed then as well) Some sites suggest it's 3 years of books! I haven't been back trading for 3 years! Do they need full accounts or bank statements etc

Self certified mortgages were a laugh, as you could say you earn anything you like. Not sure how that system ever worked. Oh wait, it didnt. Lol.

i would expect they want to see your tax returns, which you should have completed if you are self employed. If you have not been self employed that long, then i guess they want to see what employed earnings you had before then

Don't forget the deposit as well.

I'm self-employed. You need to seek out a good mortgage broker. Avoid going direct to banks. Broker will be your best bet. It's a nightmare to sort and stressful. Oh, ask your accountant for a recommendation of a good broker as they may know one.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest Place to Buy Half Decent LED Bulbs - Bayonet & Spots43
      2. Which android box?47
      3. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup22
      4. A mini break to Edinburgh - recommendations etc!711

See more discussions