Found 14th Jun 2008
I am trying to create some csv files in excel to use to auto edit some mp3 file id3 tags.

I have the track date in one cell in excel in the format

track number - artist - title

e.g.

17 - Animals - The House Of The Rising Sun

What I want to do is separate the track number artist and track title into three seperate cell using a function.

I know about RIGHT / LEFT / MID but is there a way to use the "-" in the above example to separate text strings of differing lengths?

Anyone got any ideas

Any answers much appreciated

Ta

EliTom

12 Comments

Not sure that a single function will give you what you need to be honest.

The best bet might be to write a vbscript procedure, where your using loops to determine length of the text components.

Hope this helps

If your trying to modify the id3 tags etc in mp3's i really do suggest using ' Tag&rename' its a brilliant easy to use application and improtantly its free to download. It also lets you rename the tracks using any tags you want. It lets you extract information from the filename and enter it in different fields, all at the click of a few buttons. Hope this helps

BFM

Original Poster

BurningFeetMan;2310125

If your trying to modify the id3 tags etc in mp3's i really do suggest … If your trying to modify the id3 tags etc in mp3's i really do suggest using ' Tag&rename' its a brilliant easy to use application and improtantly its free to download. It also lets you rename the tracks using any tags you want. It lets you extract information from the filename and enter it in different fields, all at the click of a few buttons. Hope this helpsBFM

Yeah I use T&R normally but I have some compilation albums that I cannot get the tags from the usual T&R sources like Amazon or Freedb.

Yes I could use T&R to manually edit the tags but I have all the data in xls files but need to seperate into separate cells if you see what I mean

EliTom

how about text to columns using '-' as the character? Then add it in as another column if you want to keep the '-'. Not sure how clear that is but maybe it will be mildly useful

Original Poster

autolesbona;2310175

how about text to columns using '-' as the character? Then add it in as … how about text to columns using '-' as the character? Then add it in as another column if you want to keep the '-'. Not sure how clear that is but maybe it will be mildly useful

Can you explain a bit more please?

What is the function name to do this

Sounds promising - Ta

EliTom

not quite sure what you mean mate, you can always extract the info from the filename even without access to amazon etc. However, there is also another program which may help you rename the files correctly, ' File Renamer Deluxe ' is a very good renaming package, very in depth and allows you to do just about anything including adding id3 tags etc. Definately worth a look buddy!

BFM

Its under the data menu --> text to columns I think. You then want to chose the delimited option and then in the bottom box enter the character you wish to use as the column seperater.

There is a search text function that will give you the position of the "-".
You can then use your LEFT and RIGHT functions with this to filter down so you can get what you want.
You should be using Access for this anyway

Hope this helps

Sorry elitom, I forgot about the initial feature of excel. IF you create your csv file with the '-' to seperate your data, then open it with excel and it will go into the how is the file delimited dialogue, just select the '-' as the seperator, and it should do the business for you

Original Poster

autolesbona;2310220

Its under the data menu -- text to columns I think. You then want to … Its under the data menu --> text to columns I think. You then want to chose the delimited option and then in the bottom box enter the character you wish to use as the column seperater.

Your a star

That works:thumbsup:

many thanks - rep added

EliTom

i know only the absolute basics of excel, but sounds like once you have done what toconn suggests you will end up with

tracknumber-artist-title

you could then use filerenamer or similar to change all '-' to ' - ' so you get

tracknumber - artist - title

or perhaps that too can be done with excel?

BFM

woohoo for me Glad I could help
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. BBC4 Vietnam War65
    2. Aliexpress - To be trusted?45
    3. With or without cream?56
    4. Mobile WiFi calling?44

See more discussions