Expired

Any nail technicians here? Just had acrylic nails done and they look shoddy, can I file them down and do them myself?

Edited by:"LeahsMintytoutou"Found 18th Dec 2017
Hi guys, I can do my own acrylic nails but I haven't bothered doing it in a couple of years. My daughter got hers done and they look really nice so I thought I'd treat myself for Christmas and get mine done too, I went to a different place and I'm really not happy with it. The way they've filed my nails they don't look even,some look wonkey. I asked for ombré style with silver glitter. I thought that would be keeping it simple.

They stand out like big clumps so I'm wondering can I file them down so they are thinner then add more acrylic myself and shape them better? I really don't want to go back and complain as they don't speak English and I'd have to go back into town centre.

All all I want to know if there's any nail technicians on here that can advise me if I can
--make them thinner by filing off a layer to make them thinner
-- reshape them a little to give it a better shape
--then doing my own more even layer of acrylic (I have the correct apparatus for this including lamp)
-- then add my own sparkly gell polish.

will it make them cloudy and dull if I do this?
Mum so annoyed because I had somewhere in mind that was £25 and I bumped into a work collegue in town that recommended a different place so I went there. Ad it cost me £33! I tried to tell her she's missed quite a visible piece of nail down the side of my thumb with no sparkle on but she didn't understand and just carried on doing what she was doing so I am not going back, illjust remember to never go there again.

So can I get away with doing what I des robed above? Thanks in advance for your advice

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Go back for refund or for them to do them again.
27 Comments

I would definitely go back and either get them redone or get a refund.

Original Poster

davewave30 m ago

I know but I feel embaressed to do that.
And I feel I should have said that at the time.
I just wasn't aware how bad they look as I didn't look close. On the bus on the way home I could see they are shoddy. Im peed off but I do t wanna have to go back. Don't want them offering to redo them as I don't want them to be crap again.

i just want professional advice on if I can repair them myself

Sounds daft but can you upload a pic so we can see?

Original Poster

nannafish7 m ago

I would definitely go back and either get them redone or get a refund.

I really hate complaining about a service like this. It makes me feel bad... sigh I'd rather just never go back again..

Original Poster

chuckiedoll28 m ago

Sounds daft but can you upload a pic so we can see?

I'll try, they dont look that bad face on, but it's the shape and side and finish.give me a few mins
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 18th Dec 2017

Original Poster

32807921-x3owA.jpg
32807921-bpn5v.jpg
Wonky shaped, a few that a big thick clumps. They didn't even push my cuticles down. I didn't do it myself as I thought they did it. I kind of feel like it's my fault because I should have said I'm not happy before I left
@chuckiedoll

Leah's, where's your fighting spirit gone. Have confidence in yourself and go back and ask them to redo them. If they won't redo them ask them for a voucher as recompense and give it to your daughter

Original Poster

32807957-XgSwH.jpg
I think they look disgusting

Oh hun. I think you should go back. If you are not happy then you need to tell them!
Personally I wouldn't be happy either.
I know it's a hassle but you deserve nice nails if you have paid for them x

Original Poster

Toptrumpet12 m ago

Leah's, where's your fighting spirit gone. Have confidence in yourself and …Leah's, where's your fighting spirit gone. Have confidence in yourself and go back and ask them to redo them. If they won't redo them ask them for a voucher as recompense and give it to your daughter

Thanks I know I'm being abit of a wimp.
i feel like I've got myself to blame because I should t have left or should have stopped them and said this looks sh!t. I showed them a picture of what I wanted and it doesn't look like that. While I was in there half way through my nails some teens came in n said some gems had fallen off a couple of their nails that they'd got done yesterday. They got told to sit and wait, they waited half an hour and then left saying I won't b coming here again, I was halfway through thinking oh god this isn't going to go well but I kind of had to go with it. I'm bloody skint aswell and used the £35 my mum gave me for Christmas to pay for it.
I dont know if I'm just being fussy either but my daughters look so well done and were cheaper I really wish I'd gone there. I might pluck up the courage to ring and see what they say. I think they will say well we used our products and you can't have a refund

Original Poster

chuckiedoll10 m ago

Oh hun. I think you should go back. If you are not happy then you need to …Oh hun. I think you should go back. If you are not happy then you need to tell them!Personally I wouldn't be happy either.I know it's a hassle but you deserve nice nails if you have paid for them x

This is the pic I showed them of what I wanted

32808273-gmeti.jpg
They look nothing like that and look a mess

Well if your daughter goes back with you (or a friend or colleague) then there's strength in numbers and she can complain on your behalf perhaps?

Go back and complain
Edited by: "gillsypop" 18th Dec 2017

Original Poster

Toptrumpet10 m ago

Well if your daughter goes back with you (or a friend or colleague) then …Well if your daughter goes back with you (or a friend or colleague) then there's strength in numbers and she can complain on your behalf perhaps?

My daughter is 15. lol I'm only early 30s...I have old looking hands I know

Everyone understand that @LeahsMintytoutou isn't good at confrontational conversations and doesn't like the idea of going back to the shop and complaining.
Perhaps we could come up with some ideas on how she could go back and resolve the problem in the easiest way possible.

Original Poster

Toptrumpet13 m ago

Well if your daughter goes back with you (or a friend or colleague) then …Well if your daughter goes back with you (or a friend or colleague) then there's strength in numbers and she can complain on your behalf perhaps?

I am going to ring them tomorrow, try and get them to understand the quality is just bad. I'm only at work till 1 tomorrow so will have time to go in and show them. Thanks for your advice (and everyone else) I don't know why I just dread complaining, silly really. Now chuckiedoll said she would t be happy with them either has made me think I'm not just being fussy. Thanks guys, I'm gonna grow some balls and call tomorrow

I'm a bloke and know nothing about nails but I do know that I wouldn't be accepting a service or goods that I paid good money for that I wasn't happy with, I would definitely complain. Another thing to consider is that if you don't say anything then tomorrow they'll just do another crap job of someone else's nails and they'll be feeling like you do now.

Leah's, when you ring tomorrow, ask to speak to the manager and confirm that they will be there when you arrive at .... whatever time. Just say that you are very disappointed with the finish and that you'd like them to redo your nails as it was a gift from your mum and you know she'll also be disappointed when she sees them.... then keep quiet and see what they say.

I would come with you for moral support if I could!

Original Poster

Toptrumpet17 h, 11 m ago

Leah's, when you ring tomorrow, ask to speak to the manager and confirm …Leah's, when you ring tomorrow, ask to speak to the manager and confirm that they will be there when you arrive at .... whatever time. Just say that you are very disappointed with the finish and that you'd like them to redo your nails as it was a gift from your mum and you know she'll also be disappointed when she sees them.... then keep quiet and see what they say.

chuckiedoll4 h, 21 m ago

I would come with you for moral support if I could!

thanks you two, I've rang then and told them I'm not happy ect n they've told me to go in so they can have a look. I'm doubting they'll take them off and give me a refund which is what I would prefer. I'm on the way now so I'll let you know what happens. I feel guilty complaining but it's a crap job. Wish me luck, here goes
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 19th Dec 2017

LeahsMintytoutou5 m ago

thanks you two, I've rang then and told them I'm not happy … thanks you two, I've rang then and told them I'm not happy ect n they've told me to go in so they can have a look. I'm doubting they'll take them off and give me a refund which is what I would prefer. I'm on the way now so I'll let you know what happens. I feel guilty complaining but it's a crap job. Wish me luck, here goes

Good luck hun.
Stick to your guns, re-do or refund.

How'd it go?

Original Poster

chuckiedoll4 h, 7 m ago

Good luck hun.Stick to your guns, re-do or refund.

I'm back the guy there had a look, sanded then down so they were thinner and filled them so better shape then re did the top layer of acrylic. they look sooo much better then they did (still not great like I wanted but I can cope with these). They can't do gradient/ombré work very well, I could do that better myself with a sponge. I won't ever go back there but I felt ok about leaving with what I have now. Thankyou for giving me the confidence to go back really appreciate it
thid is the end result (at least they are correct colours now)
32824737-mIWRX.jpg

LeahsMintytoutou1 m ago

I'm back the guy there had a look, sanded then down so they were …I'm back the guy there had a look, sanded then down so they were thinner and filled them so better shape then re did the top layer of acrylic. they look sooo much better then they did (still not great like I wanted but I can cope with these). They can't do gradient/ombré work very well, I could do that better myself with a sponge. I won't ever go back there but I felt ok about leaving with what I have now. Thankyou for giving me the confidence to go back really appreciate it thid is the end result (at least they are correct colours now)[Image]

Much better!

@LeahsMintytoutou
I knew you could sort it out on your own.
Your New Year resolution should be ‘Have more confidence in my own abilities’ and mantra ‘I can and I will’
merry Christmas and best wishes for 2018.

Original Poster

Toptrumpet1 h, 8 m ago

@LeahsMintytoutou I knew you could sort it out on your own.Your New Year …@LeahsMintytoutou I knew you could sort it out on your own.Your New Year resolution should be ‘Have more confidence in my own abilities’ and mantra ‘I can and I will’merry Christmas and best wishes for 2018.

Thankyou I never trust my own opinion, won't b going back there again. He spent longer on fixing my nails then the women did doing them! Thanks again for giving me that boost
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions