Any networking guru's out there able to help please?

Found 22nd Jun 2015
Hi all, I wonder if I could ask for some help please? I'd be truly grateful for any advice.

I am quite tech savvy in most areas, but network stuff often baffles me

Basically, I have Sky Fibre broadband, and up until now have just been using the supplied Sky Hub router for my home wifi. The range really isn't good enough for my needs, so yesterday I was lucky enough to get a Netgear R6300 unit at a great price.

Now, the R6300 is a router only - not a modem, so obviously I want to use my Sky Hub as a modem only, and use the Netgear to send the wifi signals around my house - hope I'm making sense so far?

I have it working, so can't be too far off the mark, but I have read on some forums that I should mess around with DHCP settings (on one unit or the other - not sure which?) in order that the Sky Hub is used purely as a modem, and I can get the maximum benefit from my new, more powerful router. Whilst it is working, I kind of feel that it can all be working better with certain settings, and obviously I want my range and speed to be as good as possible.

So in summary, if anyone knows what I am trying to achieve and would be happy to help, I'd be truly appreciative.

Many thanks in advance, Ezz.

p.s. I'll need any instructions in fairly plain English please, as I said, networking really confuses me
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
How are connecting the netgear router to the sky modem? How are disabling wireless access to the sky hub from all your devices? The answers should give you a good idea on how to proceed. I'm no good at networks either
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 22nd Jun 2015
basically you disable dhcp setting in your sky hub and use the dhcp on the new router. I'm assuming you have a cable between the two.

you could also disable the wifi on the sky hub. this would basically mean your sky hub is only a modem.

As for range on your new netgear depends a lot on what devices you are connecting. also what channels are in use by your neighbours etc. as if they are using the same channel will cut your range. I'd think that you could get a app or program called netgear genie that can show this.
DHCP is basiclly when device connects this is what serves out an ip address. hence why you'd only want one giving this out
if you disable dhcp on the sky router, you will then need to change the dhcp on the netgear so that it gives the client the ip address of the sky router as the gateway.

if it was me, I would disable dhcp on the new netgear, leave the WiFi enabled on both, then give the kids or the misses the WiFi on the sky router, and then the WiFi on netgear is all for you

I would check the wireless channels are different on both boxes.

obviously both boxes would be joined together by a Ethernet cable.
Hi guys (or gals? haha), thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have an ethernet cable connecting the two units. I have already switched off WiFi on the Sky Hub.

I will try switching off DHCP on the Sky Hub as per your recommendation, and yes, there is a Genie app, I'll see if it gives me any info on neighbours channels etc.

Once again, thank you very much for your help.
Thanks Blue.

I live on my own, got shut of the wife and the daughter has grown up, so no need to worry about anyone else's needs

This said, it's a decent sized house and I have 5 TV's with various wifi attachments, 3 Macs, iPad, smartphone, Nest thermostat, wireless printer etc., so probably have enough WiFi 'need' as a full family!

I could just do with a little more info on this DHCP business if possible please - would I get better performance disabling it on the Sky Hub and using the Netgear's facility? If so, please could you elaborate a little on changing the DHCP on the Netgear for that gateway thingy? Honestly, I am so clueless on networking matters

Thanks in advance, Ezz.
Just to add, I read this in another forum, and it sounds very similar to the advice from Bluetba;

Connect modem/sky hub to own router (using the WAN port if you have one).
Set up DMZ for an IP address.
Set your own router to the address in DMZ
Turn off DHCP on the sky hub.
Turn off wireless on sky hub
The sky hub now acts like a modem and it's asif it wasn't there.

Problem is, I have no idea what a DMZ is either
With the Wi-Fi disabled on the sky router and a CAT5 network cable connected between this and the new router check on the Sky box that it is showing an IP address fro the Netgear router.
Open the configuration page on the Netgear router and check its Wi-Fi is enabled and active then try connecting.

All the DCHP does is dole out IP addresses to the connected equipment so you usually will see it as 192.176.1.xxx [where x is a number from 1 to 192] for each piece of kit connected these can be allocated automatically or manually.

If you have any issues post back for more information
Edited by: "arachnoid" 22nd Jun 2015
dmz divides north and south Korea. get a flight and ask them tech savvy guys in the south but try to avoid the north.
ezzer72

Thanks Blue.I live on my own, got shut of the wife and the daughter has … Thanks Blue.I live on my own, got shut of the wife and the daughter has grown up, so no need to worry about anyone else's needs :)This said, it's a decent sized house and I have 5 TV's with various wifi attachments, 3 Macs, iPad, smartphone, Nest thermostat, wireless printer etc., so probably have enough WiFi 'need' as a full family!I could just do with a little more info on this DHCP business if possible please - would I get better performance disabling it on the Sky Hub and using the Netgear's facility? If so, please could you elaborate a little on changing the DHCP on the Netgear for that gateway thingy? Honestly, I am so clueless on networking matters :(Thanks in advance, Ezz.

dhcp gives each client an ip address and where to find the internet (gateway) there is no performance involved, keep the sky router as the dhcp server, but disable it on the netgear.

forget dmz's it will just complicate things, the reason for leaving wireless enabled on both is because the wireless on each box can only speak to one device at a time and that's sending or receiving, by having both enabled you can spread the load, as long as the wireless channels are different.
Thanks arachnoid, I really appreciate your time.

I have an IP address for the Netgear in my Sky Hub control panel, no worries there, and as I hope I said in a previous post, all of my devices are connecting to the Netgear WiFi without issue.

I guess all I was really trying to find out was if disabling the DHCP in one 'box' would result in an improvement at all? It works, but could it be better?

Just one more thing please. The new router is dual band 2.4g and 5g. When I search for wifi, I get 2 seperate 'choices' xxxxx or xxxxx-5g. Does this mean nothing automatically switches between bands? I'm not sure of the benefit of the dual system if so. And if I am just choosing one or the other, is the 5g one the better option?

Once again, sorry for being a networking noob
I am on my phone so it's hard to give ip addresses etc, but honestly just log onto the netgear box to disable dhcp, make sure both boxes are connected using the Ethernet cable and join the wireless on the netgear, job done.

I have the same setup here, except I am using a talktalk router which only I can connect to at 5ghz - all mine not the kids
ezzer72

Thanks arachnoid, I really appreciate your time.I have an IP address for … Thanks arachnoid, I really appreciate your time.I have an IP address for the Netgear in my Sky Hub control panel, no worries there, and as I hope I said in a previous post, all of my devices are connecting to the Netgear WiFi without issue.I guess all I was really trying to find out was if disabling the DHCP in one 'box' would result in an improvement at all? It works, but could it be better?Just one more thing please. The new router is dual band 2.4g and 5g. When I search for wifi, I get 2 seperate 'choices' xxxxx or xxxxx-5g. Does this mean nothing automatically switches between bands? I'm not sure of the benefit of the dual system if so. And if I am just choosing one or the other, is the 5g one the better option?Once again, sorry for being a networking noob

haha you posted that as I was mentioning my 5GHz, if you have a device that supports 5ghz like a phone or laptop then you will get faster speeds to the internet, but unless you have high speed fibre you wouldn't notice it, if you see the 5ghz wireless network name (xxxx-5g) on a device then it must support it, and so you may as well use it.
That's all great, many thanks again Blue, I feel a whole lot happier about my set up now - owe you guys a beer!

All the best, Ezz.
If its anything like the BT Hub 5 there will be the facility to give the two speeds a separate name and password as mixed speed devices on the same connection can sometimes cause the wifi to slow if lower speed devices are connected.

You can leave DCHP enabled on both if you want but if you use a home network to access files from other devices you may need to esure theres compatibility [they are on the same range] and theres no clash [ no two on the same IP address] or allocate an IP manually to say a Network Drive
Edited by: "arachnoid" 22nd Jun 2015
arachnoid

You can leave DCHP enabled on both if you want

such a mad suggestion, you are open to ip address conflicts, the gateway must be the router so what if it's on a different ip range.

the only risk with my suggestion is that I don't know if both the router and the netgear have the same ip address, possible, but expect ezz to come back if it didn't work.
Hi again guys.

I tried disabling DCHP in the Netgear device, and half of my stuff stopped working, so I re-enabled that, and went on to switch off DCHP in the Sky Hub, and that really screwed everything up - couldn't even get back into the Sky control panel

I now have DCHP 'on' in both, and everything is working (though perhaps not to it's best?). I don't think networking is for me haha
DHCP Will not work if the address range on both devices are different
ezzer72

Hi again guys.I tried disabling DCHP in the Netgear device, and half of … Hi again guys.I tried disabling DCHP in the Netgear device, and half of my stuff stopped working, so I re-enabled that, and went on to switch off DCHP in the Sky Hub, and that really screwed everything up - couldn't even get back into the Sky control panel :(I now have DCHP 'on' in both, and everything is working (though perhaps not to it's best?). I don't think networking is for me haha

you should disable dhcp on the netgear, enable it on the sky router, then turn both boxes off and on, this will then cause everything to get a new ip address when it reconnects.

what is the ip address of the netgear and thesky router?

did you have the Ethernet cable connecting both boxes together.
On the Sky routers, options are limited, so you may have a few issues. If you're using a cable from a Lan port on the sky box to wan port on the Netgear, disabling dhcp on either unit won't help anything. The IP address range on the Sky box does need to be different to the range on the Netgear unit though. Having two routers configured like this will be double NATting which could cause issues with some websites so don't be supprised if you see an issue, but this setup will work. Alternatively and possibly better, disable dhcp on one of the units and plug the network cable into Lan ports on both units. No more double NATting and all sites should load just fine. As to your question about 5ghz, if all of your devices support 5ghz, I'd turn off 2.4 but most households need both. 5ghz has slightly less range, it has lots more channels and suffers from far less interference from dect phones and microwaves, not to mention the neighbours 2.4ghz wireless kit.
Disable both wireless and DCHP on the Sky router. You shouldn't have DCHP on the Sky Router if you want it in modem mode. I'm surprised the Sky router doesn't have a Modem Mode setting like the Virgin SuperHub does.

If you can't access the Sky router's configuration through your web browser. Check that it does not change its IP address to something like: 192.168.100.1 from 192.168.0.1. The SuperHub does this in Modem Mode and the external router will have IP address: 192.168.0.1
It appears the sky hub does not have a "modem mode", so you end up chaining routers.

Linking a sky hub to a D-Link DIR613 is described here skyuser.co.uk/for…tml

Without setting up DMZ, you have a router within router and anything requiring port forwarding / UPNP will be a problem.
The DMZ setup allows the second router to take charge of any incoming connections.
The steps for the DMZ setup as described in the PDF are:
On the Sky hub, limit the autoassign range to create a gap (freeing the ...254 address), then setting that as the DMZ.
On the other router, manually assigning the ...254 as the WAN address.

However, there is a shortcut, if you have nothing else on the Sky Hub, then the second router will always get the address 192.168.0.2 - and to set up DMZ. just set the 192.168.0.2 as DMZ on the Sky Hub - this shortcut is only effective if no other devices (wired or wireless) are used on the Sky hub, otherwise something else may get the 192.0.168.2
wow amazing how people try and do things the most complicated way, ezz good luck I am stepping out here because people are now just trying to tech the next person which will make less and less sense.

why matth thinks you need to worry about UPNP and a DMZ from what you have said I don't know - which for the record I have the exact same setup as I have suggested, I have xboxes and the like and have never had to worry about UPNP or a DMZ.
Wow, this is getting intense

My advice is to only have DHCP running on one of your devices - the Netgear R6300 as its probably a better router than the standard equipment supplied by your ISP anyway. Do not worry about DMZ or anything else for the time being.

As for Wi-Fi, you can have it running on both as has been said already, but make sure they are broadcasting on different channels (again, already mentioned).

For info, putting anything in your DMZ essentially opens it up as the firewall no longer applies to it. Useful if you get messages like "Strict NAT" on PlayStation / Xbox.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for all of your replies guys, really appreciate your time.

I have followed all of your suggestions as best as I can, but for some reason, the only way I can keep everything working perfectly is by leaving DHCP on both devices - when I disable one or the other, stuff stops working

As such I think I am probably best leaving things as is, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', as it were.
Might find that's related to the DHCP lease times. When you disabled DHCP on one device, did you reboot both modem and router? Additionally, you might want to try releasing the IP address / forgetting the network, and then rescanning and re-connect for your wireless connection. Shoukd get fresh IP details then.
I don't expect you to answer though - if its working and all that
hi
I'm unsure if you've managed to get this how you want it, I myself am running 5 Wi-Fi access points, some using wds mode some on 2.4 & 5ghz using 3 different routers and wireless access points, I have 5 subnets and 1 entire subnet as a dmz.
this is how I would configure your situation.
1 set the internal ip address of your sky router to 192.168.50.1
2 set the internal ip address of your Netgear router to 192.168.50.2 (putting it onto the same subnet as the sky router
3 enable the dhcp server on the sky router
4 disable the dhcp server on the Netgear router

this would allow all clients to get the correct DNS server address and the correct internet gateway.
as for the double 2g/5g they can be the same name, just add 2g/5g at the end, the password can be the same, as they run on different hardware layers/protocols.

as previously mentioned leaving the wireless configured on both would allow you to share the wireless traffic on both routers, which is good.
lroyb

hiI'm unsure if you've managed to get this how you want it, I myself am … hiI'm unsure if you've managed to get this how you want it, I myself am running 5 Wi-Fi access points, some using wds mode some on 2.4 & 5ghz using 3 different routers and wireless access points, I have 5 subnets and 1 entire subnet as a dmz.this is how I would configure your situation.1 set the internal ip address of your sky router to 192.168.50.12 set the internal ip address of your Netgear router to 192.168.50.2 (putting it onto the same subnet as the sky router3 enable the dhcp server on the sky router4 disable the dhcp server on the Netgear routerthis would allow all clients to get the correct DNS server address and the correct internet gateway.as for the double 2g/5g they can be the same name, just add 2g/5g at the end, the password can be the same, as they run on different hardware layers/protocols.as previously mentioned leaving the wireless configured on both would allow you to share the wireless traffic on both routers, which is good.

very nicely explained - perfect setup.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants