Any "no win no fee" lawyers for disability discrimination in education?

Found 10th Feb 2015
A friend was treated rather badly by a university. Do NWNF solicitors still exist for discrimination cases? Anyone had any recent experience (he was told there was a big shakeup a few years ago and that made it impossible, so anything in the last year or so)?

And yes, obviously, a cookie for the first person to post a picture of James McGill
Community Updates
16 Comments
First thing to check, have they exhausted the universities own complaints procedure yet? And I mean exhausted the correct procedure?
what about legal aid I assume if he's on low income should be able to apply for that then
Yeah, from what I've seen they were sent a response that whitewashed the issue and concentrated on a pretty irrelevant technicality. He's been in touch with various law advice services that suggest there is a case to answer, but it's quite a daunting prospect going to court unrepresented and being confronted with a huge corporation's legal team!
muddassarsardar

what about legal aid I assume if he's on low income should be able to … what about legal aid I assume if he's on low income should be able to apply for that then

Very low income, and only scraping by on savings - but his years of saving for a rainy day work against him now, as it pretty much excludes Legal Aid as an option, and pursuing a case with his safety net would pretty much leave him with nothing to live on.
Edited by: "Ferris" 10th Feb 2015
tardytortoise

Suggest you look here http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/and here … Suggest you look here http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/and here https://www.gov.uk/find-a-legal-adviser

Thanks, but that's the first place we looked. Really what I'm looking for is anyone who knows a NWNF solicitor for this area of law.
Ferris

Thanks, but that's the first place we looked. Really what I'm looking … Thanks, but that's the first place we looked. Really what I'm looking for is anyone who knows a NWNF solicitor for this area of law.

see my edited post above
have you tried an advice centre? when i worked in one,we had a solicitor who came in once a week & did free advice & representation for certain jobs
You could try the Equality Advisory Support Service
They can "Help people who need or want to seek a legal solution by helping to establish eligibility for legal aid and, if they are not eligible, to find an accessible legal service or to prepare and lodge a claim themselves."
[img]universitystory.gla.ac.uk/image/?id=UGSP00571[/img]

Now where is my said cookie???

Or shall I need to see a NWNF attorney to get it from you?
so your "friend" wants to sue a university. Which means we will all pay for this from our taxes. Perhaps your "friend" should have a re-think before trying to take from the public purse!
adamsxi

so your "friend" wants to sue a university. Which means we will all pay … so your "friend" wants to sue a university. Which means we will all pay for this from our taxes. Perhaps your "friend" should have a re-think before trying to take from the public purse!

Haha
if your friend has exhausted the University's internal processes then they should have ben sent a letter confirming the internal processes have been exhausted and with guidance as to appling to the OIA if they are still not happy with the outcome - this should be standard procedure in the University sector:
http://www.oiahe.org.uk/

recent OIA cases and the outcomes can be found at:
http://www.oiahe.org.uk/decisions-and-publications/recent-decisions-of-the-oia/current-case-studies.aspx

As you can see the OIA have the power to enforce financial penalties (or other such outcomes) on the university if they are found to be in the wrong
Typical. You claim that a non-booting tablet pc is in working order and you claim that a better than specified battery is not good enough. You cannot blame your deficiencies with the education system nor my "problem" with the English language. Any half-decent lawyer will see through your cries of discrimination and will not touch your case.
missleading

Typical. You claim that a non-booting tablet pc is in working order and … Typical. You claim that a non-booting tablet pc is in working order and you claim that a better than specified battery is not good enough. You cannot blame your deficiencies with the education system nor my "problem" with the English language. Any half-decent lawyer will see through your cries of discrimination and will not touch your case.

Ah, the fount of all wrongness. Welcome! Proved wrong with your attempt to misdirect people, and stalking me now, I see... how wonderful

Thanks for all the replies!

Butterbean

You could try the Equality Advisory Support ServiceThey can "Help people … You could try the Equality Advisory Support ServiceThey can "Help people who need or want to seek a legal solution by helping to establish eligibility for legal aid and, if they are not eligible, to find an accessible legal service or to prepare and lodge a claim themselves."

Thanks. Tried them, apparently. There seems to be a circular referral system , where each of these organisations refers people to the next and so on, so you end up getting nowhere.

hospitaljuliep

have you tried an advice centre? when i worked in one,we had a solicitor … have you tried an advice centre? when i worked in one,we had a solicitor who came in once a week & did free advice & representation for certain jobs

What kind of advice centre do you mean? A CAB?

adamsxi

so your "friend" wants to sue a university. Which means we will all pay … so your "friend" wants to sue a university. Which means we will all pay for this from our taxes. Perhaps your "friend" should have a re-think before trying to take from the public purse!

Ah, yes, all hail the infallible universities! Let them break the law with impunity, and woe betide us if we dare to even complain! I for one salute our new corporate overlords.

It says something about how your mind works that you think that taking to task a body with obligations under the law for failing to meet their obligations is a financially motivated exercise. Still, this is HUKD.

FunkyPhantom1970

if your friend has exhausted the University's internal processes then … if your friend has exhausted the University's internal processes then they should have ben sent a letter confirming the internal processes have been exhausted and with guidance as to appling to the OIA if they are still not happy with the outcome - this should be standard procedure in the University sector:http://www.oiahe.org.uk/recent OIA cases and the outcomes can be found at:http://www.oiahe.org.uk/decisions-and-publications/recent-decisions-of-the-oia/current-case-studies.aspxAs you can see the OIA have the power to enforce financial penalties (or other such outcomes) on the university if they are found to be in the wrong

Thanks, that is useful. I don't think remember seeing any mention of the OIA in the university's communication, but I'll ask again - I guess there might have been something else included with the message.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants