Groups

Any One Do A2 Maths C4??

the question is

given that f(x) = 2xcubed + 9xsqaured + 10x + 3

part a is easy just says show that -3 is a root of F(x), if you sub -3 in as x you get 0.

but part b says

Express 10/f(x) as partial fractions

now when theres a quadractic as the denominator thats fine i can split them up, but i dont know how to factorise that cubic equation to get 3 seperate fractions, any help?? been stuck on this all day.

14 Comments

15 years ago i coulda told you but, got drunk far too many times to remember all this sry . and gl

Mate you've got the factor, -3, so divide the cubic by (x+3) and get a quadratic.

I only do AS but I'm guessing that would work.

Banned

^ maybe
    and
    Express 10/f(x) as partial fractions

Are you sure its 10 divided by the f(x) don't usually see that sort of question.

LOL, i can help -
    you said -3 is a root of x, right?
    so immediately you can factorise to become (x+3)(whatever)
    Use long division or other to get the "whatever". It will DEFINATELY work becos -3 will flush in perfectly -its a root.
    EDIT: Ahh someone above said it already

I'm no help, just thought you should know i hate your avatar.

Good luck finding the answer.

Original Poster

Pryd4 i think you may be right, figures i got a E in AS, thats defiantly the question.

Banned

Hmm

so using the factor -3?

if you do this you got it yeah?

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6805/lolkq5.jpg

Artonox;4264578

LOL, i can help -you said -3 is a root of x, right?so immediately you can … LOL, i can help -you said -3 is a root of x, right?so immediately you can factorise to become (x+3)(whatever)Use long division or other to get the "whatever". It will DEFINATELY work becos -3 will flush in perfectly -its a root. EDIT: Ahh someone above said it already

Beat you to it

Original Poster

yhhh i did it thanks guys,

i ended up with after findind a.b.c

1/x+3 + 8/2x+1 - 5/x+1

rep left for the help

Banned

Artonox;4264578

LOL, i can help -you said -3 is a root of x, right?so immediately you can … LOL, i can help -you said -3 is a root of x, right?so immediately you can factorise to become (x+3)(whatever)Use long division or other to get the "whatever". It will DEFINATELY work becos -3 will flush in perfectly -its a root. EDIT: Ahh someone above said it already

Its a factor of X not a root i think

wazb;4264639

yhhh i did it thanks guys,i ended up with after findind a.b.c1/x+3 + … yhhh i did it thanks guys,i ended up with after findind a.b.c1/x+3 + 8/2x+1 - 5/x+1rep left for the help

No problem :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Conscept;4264644

its defo a root, question says ahow that -3 is a root of f(x)

Conscept;4264644

lol being nitpicky now arn't we :-D
    I say root because if you draw the graph, it will intersect y=0 at 3 places - they are called roots.
    Or we could call them your way, namely a factor of f(x) because it goes in with no remainders, like 2 is a factor of 4.

Banned

wazb;4264686

its defo a root, question says ahow that -3 is a root of f(x)

Oh my bad, haha silly me

Least you got it done
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      2. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88
      4. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO22

See more discussions