Groups

any one got any advice on a good budget phablet ?

im currently thinking of upgrading my ageing sony xperia z1 and for some reason have my mind set on a phablet/big phone.

i like the look of the xiaomi mi max but i am too worried to get one due to reports of blowing up and having no uk support.
    the only one i can find in the price range i want to spend, round about £250 (i know this wont get me much but i cant justify paying more for myself a phone i would sooner spend the money on the kids)

the only decent one i can find in my price range is the sony xperia xa ultra it might be my xperia tinted glasses as i have had sonys for years but i am worried about the battery life.

any advice on this handsets or others would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

14 Comments

I was worried about getting Xiaomi Mi max as never ordered a phone from china before.
    I got the Global edtition brand new and sealed and I couldnt be happier.
    For £150 you wont regret it.

Original Poster

Sandy1012

I was worried about getting Xiaomi Mi max as never ordered a phone from … I was worried about getting Xiaomi Mi max as never ordered a phone from china before.I got the Global edtition brand new and sealed and I couldnt be happier.For £150 you wont regret it.

​dont get me wrong i really want that phone as its the best value on the market but i have two young children so i am worried about it blowing up after the stories i read from china.

Original Poster

Sandy1012

I was worried about getting Xiaomi Mi max as never ordered a phone from … I was worried about getting Xiaomi Mi max as never ordered a phone from china before.I got the Global edtition brand new and sealed and I couldnt be happier.For £150 you wont regret it.

​did you have to mod it in any way or was it ready to use in uk right out the box ?

Any phone can blow but as long as u don't use phone while charging u should be fine I was so interested in xiaomi but in the end got my self oneplus 3 from o2 so warranty will be through them
    For peace of mind that extra 100 I think worth it

jymufc

​dont get me wrong i really want that phone as its the best value on the m … ​dont get me wrong i really want that phone as its the best value on the market but i have two young children so i am worried about it blowing up after the stories i read from china.

Wasnt that samsung

What about a Moto G4 Plus? 5.5 inch screen and a lot of phone for the money.

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog

What about a Moto G4 Plus? 5.5 inch screen and a lot of phone for the … What about a Moto G4 Plus? 5.5 inch screen and a lot of phone for the money.

​i will have a look now thanks.

jymufc

​dont get me wrong i really want that phone as its the best value on the m … ​dont get me wrong i really want that phone as its the best value on the market but i have two young children so i am worried about it blowing up after the stories i read from china.

it has as much chance of blowing up as any other phone (except note 7) which is virtually 0.

i'm in the same scenario as you but i ordered the mi max the other day. so much more battery life than other phones. i used gearbest and paid 17p for 5-10 day delivery and a few quid for tracking. other people that did the same as me haven't been hit with customs charges. i've only heard of one person that did and it was only £17. add that to £144 for the phone and it's still great value

jymufc

If you're going to be in constant worry about it exploding, then perhaps it's not the phone you should get but it still seems irrational if that's the only reason putting you off. There's probably incidences of phones exploding for every manufacturer. Would an Xperia M4 exploding last month and a Xperia T3 exploding make you fearful of your own phone?

Unless it's a case of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, it's probably 1 defective model out of maybe hundreds of thousands or even millions. There is 1 report of Mi Max exploding in China but there are at least 3 cases of an iPhone 7 exploding within the last 2 months. One in Australia. Another in California. And one in China. However, I doubt people who are looking to buy iPhone 7 would decide not to due to fear of explosion.

Buy the mi max from aliexpress. You get delivery insurance as default. I know a few folks that have bought xiaomi phones including myself. No problems. Takes about 14 days to arrive

wayners

Buy the mi max from aliexpress. You get delivery insurance as default. I … Buy the mi max from aliexpress. You get delivery insurance as default. I know a few folks that have bought xiaomi phones including myself. No problems. Takes about 14 days to arrive

Offical Global Xiaomi Mi Max £145 Global

Sandy1012

Offical Global Xiaomi Mi Max £145 Global

​Yeah. That's the one. Fantastic phone however no band 20. I have the redmi note 3 international version with all the bands

Original Poster

dreadzone101

If you're going to be in constant worry about it exploding, then perhaps … If you're going to be in constant worry about it exploding, then perhaps it's not the phone you should get but it still seems irrational if that's the only reason putting you off. There's probably incidences of phones exploding for every manufacturer. Would an Xperia M4 exploding last month and a Xperia T3 exploding make you fearful of your own phone?Unless it's a case of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, it's probably 1 defective model out of maybe hundreds of thousands or even millions. There is 1 report of Mi Max exploding in China but there are at least 3 cases of an iPhone 7 exploding within the last 2 months. One in Australia. Another in California. And one in China. However, I doubt people who are looking to buy iPhone 7 would decide not to due to fear of explosion.

​i understand you run the risk with any phone realy but to be honest its my missus who wont let me buy "some chinese crap" i am now edging towards the moto g4 thanks to @Dyslexic_Dog
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?915
      2. Back to European satellite tv32
      3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…11
      4. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland78

See more discussions