Any one made a claim with royal mail regarding missing parcel?

Found 2nd Aug 2011
I have posted a mobile phone by 1st class recorded, which when i track online says" your item is in process" for last 16 working days
rang the cust serv and they said to lodge a complaint and they will refund some amount incl postage.
i will be moving house shortly so just wanted to see if any one had claimed before and how long does it take for refund to come from the time we lodge the complaint.
Thanks in advance :-)
Community Updates
16 Comments
Its probably been delivered and received by a dishonest buyer, have you kept a record of the phones IMEI? inform the buyer as its not been received you will getting a block put on the phone rendering it useless (and do it too unless its mysteriously arrived that day, unless you have already refunded in which case block it asap.)

We have had loads of recorded stuff just pushed through and even handed over by the driver and not been signed for.

Unless you implicity trust the buyer, 95% of stuff that shows as in the system has been delivered.

I have heard they can be quite slow at paying and will argue the toss, was the value of the phone covered by recorded? As the limit is that of 100 first class standard letter stamps so £46. Special delivery isnt usually much more and covers higher values plus they arent so lax at getting autrographs for these parcels
i know our postie doesnt have me sign for signed for often just hands them to me..so i often wondered what shows on the system?
I think your claim might get rejected if you sent a mobile via recorded as they do state in their T&C's to send valuable items by Special Delivery.

They usually take about 6 weeks to send out compensation cheque.
If you sent a mobile phone by Recorded delivery I am sure you have no chance of making a claim as it is classed as a valuable and against the terms of the service. They take weeks to complete the claim at least 3-4 week.

If you used the phone recently just phone up the network and ask them to block it, they will block the sim card too but you can pick up another from a shop and get them to transfer the number over if you call them up.

Banned
fluffyundacrakas

I think your claim might get rejected if you sent a mobile via recorded … I think your claim might get rejected if you sent a mobile via recorded as they do state in their T&C's to send valuable items by Special Delivery. They usually take about 6 weeks to send out compensation cheque.

I would tell them to shove it up there a$$, I paid for recorded so get a signature you useless bunch of....
DangerGod

I would tell them to shove it up there a$$, I paid for recorded so get a … I would tell them to shove it up there a$$, I paid for recorded so get a signature you useless bunch of....

They will probably just apologise and then pay out a token amount of 6 1st class stamps.
Original Poster
bought the phone on ebay via paypal for £80, phone was crap so sent it back recorded, post office offers a refund of around £46+p&p
paypal is investigating and they cannot offer refund until phone is received by seller who didn't bother responding to any of mine or paypal emails.
i assume the phone is now lost in transit and planning to put a claim with royal mail but wondering about time as i will be moving in a month's time and dont want the cheque to be delivered here after i leave.
Original Poster
thankyou for all your reply guyz,
bit annoyyed as dont have a phone now and dont have money untill damn royal mail sorts it out.

did mention to the lady in the postoffice that its a phone and she made it as "Recorded 1st Packet" so hope its covered.
Banned
they are running about 30 days behind at the moment so expect about 45 days from posting the claim to getting the cheque
op, you're screwed. firstly, paypal are like monkeys al they do is simply track the item on rm website to confirm signature. you have 10 days to provide the signature from the day of posting. they will not budge without the signature.

secondly, no chance will rm will honour your claim, as the value of the goods exceed the compensation available under recorded delivery service. trust me i had a battle n half to get a payout despite using special delivery- took 3months after calling daily.

what rm play on is they send a letter to the receiver and if he/she fails to response or denies knowledge then they close your claim without payment. so doesnt matter what evidence you provide, the case is concluded upon on what the receiver does.

however, theres a loop hole in that you can still be able to recover £40

The seller will have received it back,but as RM haven't updated the system they will be holding out,if RM havent updated it by now then you are screwed,it should have been sent via RMSD

Paypal will not fin in your favour and unlikely you will get anything but a few stamps back from RM
colinsunderland

they are running about 30 days behind at the moment so expect about 45 … they are running about 30 days behind at the moment so expect about 45 days from posting the claim to getting the cheque

They are always running 30 days behind whenever I call or email, even for bulk claims.
and remember rm cannot be sued in law of court- they have the "royal" immunity

i know this because i tried to sue them for negligence

did they ask you the value? cos our post office does to be sure you get the right level insurance..if its worth £80 and you havent you will be covered to £46 as Harlzter says...
i would think tbh your seller has it back and is pleased with the outcome! check it out when he sells it again? def get it blocked...although if its in is name im not sure if you can?

Also worth a try calling sorting office...they found a phone for me once and returned it next day-it was years ago when scams first happened and the RM got it back for me. Worth a nice call to them...our postie would def look for it if it was in our area cos hes brilliant. You may be lucky?

ajayvarma447

thankyou for all your reply guyz,bit annoyyed as dont have a phone now … thankyou for all your reply guyz,bit annoyyed as dont have a phone now and dont have money untill damn royal mail sorts it out.did mention to the lady in the postoffice that its a phone and she made it as "Recorded 1st Packet" so hope its covered.

ajayvarma447

bought the phone on ebay via paypal for £80, phone was crap so sent it … bought the phone on ebay via paypal for £80, phone was crap so sent it back recorded, post office offers a refund of around £46+p&ppaypal is investigating and they cannot offer refund until phone is received by seller who didn't bother responding to any of mine or paypal emails.i assume the phone is now lost in transit and planning to put a claim with royal mail but wondering about time as i will be moving in a month's time and dont want the cheque to be delivered here after i leave.

i bought a pair of £45 jeans, sent them back recorded, they never arrived, filed a claim after photocopying all my reciepts, never recieved a penny
mines only took about 2 weeks and i got the cost of the item plus the postage back. You could wait til you move house to claim as i think you have 6 months?

Also as it has been lost i suggest getting it blocked if you can, email the seller and say you will be blocking it and see if it somehow turns up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants