Any one recommend a free online dietician / nutritionist please

Posted 15th Nov
Hi.

Can Any one recommend a free online dietician / nutritionist please.

wife is a Vegetarian who has acid reflux/gerd problem.

A recent blood test has shown high levels of B12 and Folic Acid. and she is waiting on a camera check and scan on stomach.

she is struggling to find foods to eat with low or no B12 and folic acid and has had to stop cereals dairy and greens too.

Any suggestion on foods or pointers in the right direction would be welcome please.

many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
High B12 levels in a vegetarian diet is unusual, assuming they have not been taking supplements. As such I'd have thought her doctor's advice would not be to try & reduce B12 in her diet (of which 'cereals dairy and greens') are not a great source anyway & I assume this is for the other issue).

Artificially trying to reduce B12 in this case would mask the real cause of the inflated levels & I would have thought a clinician would not advise that.

In short, stick to your GP/Consultant's advice & if you have concerns have them refer you to a dietician who has access to your medical records & can liaise with your primary doctor to ensure a joined up approach to treating her.
Edited by: "IamMT" 15th Nov
IamMT15/11/2019 13:28

High B12 levels in a vegetarian diet is unusual, assuming they have not …High B12 levels in a vegetarian diet is unusual, assuming they have not been taking supplements. As such I'd have thought her doctor's advice would not be to try & reduce B12 in her diet (of which 'cereals dairy and greens') are not a great source anyway & I assume this is for the other issue).Artificially trying to reduce B12 in this case would mask the real cause of the inflated levels & I would have thought a clinician would not advise that.In short, stick to your GP/Consultant's advice & if you have concerns have them refer you to a dietician who has access to your medical records & can liaise with your primary doctor to ensure a joined up approach to treating her.

She was taking Vitamins which has now stopped. But most foods are fortified such as bread cereal etc.
pKaTz15/11/2019 13:33

She was taking Vitamins which has now stopped. But most foods are …She was taking Vitamins which has now stopped. But most foods are fortified such as bread cereal etc.

I hope the supplements (Vitamins) are the cause & there is no underlying issue, I assume the doctor advised her to discontinue them.

Despite some food eg bread & corn flakes being fortified with an alphabet of vitamins they have little practical use, a good balanced diet is enough for all those with normal metabolisms.

I wish her well!
IamMT15/11/2019 13:28

High B12 levels in a vegetarian diet is unusual, assuming they have not …High B12 levels in a vegetarian diet is unusual, assuming they have not been taking supplements. As such I'd have thought her doctor's advice would not be to try & reduce B12 in her diet (of which 'cereals dairy and greens') are not a great source anyway & I assume this is for the other issue).Artificially trying to reduce B12 in this case would mask the real cause of the inflated levels & I would have thought a clinician would not advise that.In short, stick to your GP/Consultant's advice & if you have concerns have them refer you to a dietician who has access to your medical records & can liaise with your primary doctor to ensure a joined up approach to treating her.

She was taking Vitamins which has now stopped. But most foods are …She was taking Vitamins which has now stopped. But most foods are fortified such as bread cereal etc.

IamMT15/11/2019 13:39

I hope the supplements (Vitamins) are the cause & there is no underlying …I hope the supplements (Vitamins) are the cause & there is no underlying issue, I assume the doctor advised her to discontinue them.Despite some food eg bread & corn flakes being fortified with an alphabet of vitamins they have little practical use, a good balanced diet is enough for all those with normal metabolisms.I wish her well!

I agree with @IamMT; high B12 levels in anybody (not least a Vegetarian/Vegan) is unusual.

Has your wife been checked for any kind of liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrhosis?

If that is clear; have any checks been undertaken for abnormal chromosome activity?
fanpages15/11/2019 14:02

I agree with @IamMT; high B12 levels in anybody (not least a …I agree with @IamMT; high B12 levels in anybody (not least a Vegetarian/Vegan) is unusual.Has your wife been checked for any kind of liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrhosis?If that is clear; have any checks been undertaken for abnormal chromosome activity?

Liver Function tests are done as standard with any other bloodwork these days, so I'd hazard they have been. I have faith in the GP & suspect it is the use of OTC supplements.
IamMT15/11/2019 14:40

Liver Function tests are done as standard with any other bloodwork these …Liver Function tests are done as standard with any other bloodwork these days, so I'd hazard they have been. I have faith in the GP & suspect it is the use of OTC supplements.

OK. Thanks
IamMT15/11/2019 14:40

Liver Function tests are done as standard with any other bloodwork these …Liver Function tests are done as standard with any other bloodwork these days, so I'd hazard they have been. I have faith in the GP & suspect it is the use of OTC supplements.

Hi yes blood tests did have liver function too which were ok.
Was thinking maybe possible bacteria in gut causing high levels.
The vitamins were multivitamins were stopped.
B12 was about 1700. Sorry dont know what the measurement was mg etc
pKaTz15/11/2019 16:05

Hi yes blood tests did have liver function too which were ok. Was …Hi yes blood tests did have liver function too which were ok. Was thinking maybe possible bacteria in gut causing high levels. The vitamins were multivitamins were stopped. B12 was about 1700. Sorry dont know what the measurement was mg etc

Stick with the guidance of your GP/Consultant.

Was she prescribed the vitamins? No? Then why was she taking them? Unless they are prescribed, they are categorically NOT NEEDED!
BadMF15/11/2019 16:15

Was she prescribed the vitamins? No? Then why was she taking them? Unless …Was she prescribed the vitamins? No? Then why was she taking them? Unless they are prescribed, they are categorically NOT NEEDED!

Many thanks.
Any advice on the meal/food front. Have drs appt for next week.
Meat and plenty of it.
BadMF15/11/2019 16:26

Meat and plenty of it.

It sounds like you've not really understood the question.
For the acid reflux, she could ask her doctor about prescribing Lansoprazole in tablet form.
If stopping the vitamins doesn't improve things, ask her GP for a referral to a dietician. Avoid looking for a nutritionist as it is not a legally recognised term - and while there are likely many good ones out there, there will be quacks too.
Toptrumpet15/11/2019 17:02

For the acid reflux, she could ask her doctor about prescribing …For the acid reflux, she could ask her doctor about prescribing Lansoprazole in tablet form.

Yes been on lansoprozole 30mg for about 4 months. Maybe a little more.

But it's the food which is the problem at the moment.

What to eat/avoid.

Yes will ask for referral to dietician.

Thanks.
BadMF15/11/2019 16:26

Meat and plenty of it.

I think theres a lot of B12 in meat .
fanpages15/11/2019 14:02

I agree with @IamMT; high B12 levels in anybody (not least a …I agree with @IamMT; high B12 levels in anybody (not least a Vegetarian/Vegan) is unusual.Has your wife been checked for any kind of liver disease such as hepatitis or cirrhosis?If that is clear; have any checks been undertaken for abnormal chromosome activity?

Not chromosome activity

They did suggest another blood test after 2 months and see if levels have come down.

The scan and throat camera check thing is mid December. So see what happens from there.
greencat15/11/2019 17:11

If stopping the vitamins doesn't improve things, ask her GP for a referral …If stopping the vitamins doesn't improve things, ask her GP for a referral to a dietician. Avoid looking for a nutritionist as it is not a legally recognised term - and while there are likely many good ones out there, there will be quacks too.

Thank you
Needs meat
Pipe down vegan. We get it, you like sniffing your own emissions. Nobody GAF. 🤷🏻
BadMF15/11/2019 19:01

Pipe down vegan. We get it, you like sniffing your own emissions. Nobody …Pipe down vegan. We get it, you like sniffing your own emissions. Nobody GAF. 🤷🏻

I'm not a Vegan.
remove stressful situations and see what happens next
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants