Any Opticians here?

Posted 2nd Oct
Good morning.

A quick query really.

wife had an eye test with the result here.

Should she get prescription glasses or buy would it be ok to get those £1 reading glasses from Poundland.

Just needs for reading. Thanks in advance.
3303342.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
I'm not an optician, or claim to know anything about eyesight but myself and partner plus most of my family all wear glasses for reading and what we do is just buy one pair of prescription glasses and then purchase loads of the cheap reading glasses for everyday use. My optician tells me it's fine and won't cause any damage to my eyesight. If you're on a budget or just trying to save a few quid, now that you have the prescription look at some of the online spectacle retailers you'll save yourself a fortune.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 2nd Oct
I mean for reading. 1 eye is 1.25 +1 and the other 1 +1. So about +2.
The reading glasses with a +2 strength could be ok? Do you think .
Also what does the axis and cyl mean. And are these something to consider too.
I got 2 pairs for £17 from glasses direct based on my prescription via advice from martin lewis website.. look for offers ( i did try frames for free first too)
The SPH shows your wife is long sighted by the ‘+’ sign, the CYL and AXIS refers to the eyeball itself, all you need to do is consider the prescription strength in each eye. Fortunately your wife’s prescription is equally matched. I would suggest going to Poundland and trying a pair of +1.00, there’s hardly any strength difference between +1.00 and +1.25 (as it’s a very low prescription your wife might not really see a difference)
Just take some different size texts to gauge if they work or not.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 2nd Oct
My eyes are different in each eye and I use cheap off the shelve glasses, the cheap ones normally have lenses that pop out easily, so you could buy two different strengths and swap a lense over. But with that prescription you won't need two.

You can pick up some really cheap prescription glasses on line though.

FYI - Don't call a Optometrists an Optician they don't like it
Toptrumpet02/10/2019 09:18

The SPH shows your wife is long sighted by the ‘+’ sign, the CYL and AXIS r …The SPH shows your wife is long sighted by the ‘+’ sign, the CYL and AXIS refers to the eyeball itself, all you need to do is consider the prescription strength in each eye. Fortunately your wife’s prescription is equally matched. I would suggest going to Poundland and trying a pair of +1.00, there’s hardly any strength difference between +1.00 and +1.25 (as it’s a very low prescription your wife might not really see a difference)Just take some different size texts to gauge if they work or not.

Thanks .

So it wouldn't be 1 and then the +1 for reading =2 for the ones we need?
pKaTz02/10/2019 08:53

I mean for reading. 1 eye is 1.25 +1 and the other 1 +1. So about +2. The …I mean for reading. 1 eye is 1.25 +1 and the other 1 +1. So about +2. The reading glasses with a +2 strength could be ok? Do you think . Also what does the axis and cyl mean. And are these something to consider too.

No doubt the prescription conveniently omitted your partner's PD, but not too difficult to accurately obtain PD yourself.
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 11:08

No doubt the prescription conveniently omitted your partner's PD, but not …No doubt the prescription conveniently omitted your partner's PD, but not too difficult to accurately obtain PD yourself.

Yeah that's so annoying
Try glasssdirect.

I recently switched after being quoted over £1,000 for variofocal glasses and sunglasses by my high street optician The optician has made much of my being sensitive to Rodenstock lenses only and poo pooed my requests to find cheaper options for sunglasses using essilor lenses. Led me to believe essilor lenses are no good.

So so I went to glasssdirect since they give 90 days free returns. And I’m very pleased I did. Both sets totalled £316 inc polarised sunglasses and frames. They are essilor lenses and work fine.

high street opticians are a rip off.
Edited by: "ccnp" 2nd Oct
pKaTz02/10/2019 11:07

Thanks .So it wouldn't be 1 and then the +1 for reading =2 for the ones we …Thanks .So it wouldn't be 1 and then the +1 for reading =2 for the ones we need?

No, your wife is long sighted, she needs help seeing things close up such as reading a menu or task work like threading a needle. So on the prescription you need to look at the NEAR column, on her’s it shows +1 for both eyes. So you only need +1 lenses. As +1 is a low strength prescription for her to admit that yes there is an improved difference she might like to try the +1.25. Her brain will cope with the .25 difference but anything higher strength will give her headaches and blurred vision.
You need +2.00 spectacles for reading. I work in the industry. Please ignore those stating you just need +1.00
Edited by: "maionline1" 2nd Oct
ccnp02/10/2019 12:29

Try glasssdirect. I recently switched after being quoted over £1,000 for …Try glasssdirect. I recently switched after being quoted over £1,000 for variofocal glasses and sunglasses by my high street optician The optician has made much of my being sensitive to Rodenstock lenses only and poo pooed my requests to find cheaper options for sunglasses using essilor lenses. Led me to believe essilor lenses are no good.So so I went to glasssdirect since they give 90 days free returns. And I’m very pleased I did. Both sets totalled £316 inc polarised sunglasses and frames. They are essilor lenses and work fine.high street opticians are a rip off.

£1,000. You’ve been going to the wrong places on the high street.
4Real201602/10/2019 10:41

My eyes are different in each eye and I use cheap off the shelve glasses, …My eyes are different in each eye and I use cheap off the shelve glasses, the cheap ones normally have lenses that pop out easily, so you could buy two different strengths and swap a lense over. But with that prescription you won't need two.You can pick up some really cheap prescription glasses on line though.FYI - Don't call a Optometrists an Optician they don't like it

In 20 years my wife has yet to get annoyed at being called an optician.
Yes you can buy ready readers. Though there is a measure of astigmatism in your prescription. It would be worth buying a cheap prescription set online and comparing to £1 cheapies.
It will be worth having a decent set for long reading sessions and various pocket disposables dotted around the house.
maionline102/10/2019 20:19

You need +2.00 spectacles for reading. I work in the industry. Please …You need +2.00 spectacles for reading. I work in the industry. Please ignore those stating you just need +1.00

She had found the +2.00 ones better than the +1.00 . Also the +2.50 and +3.00 definitely too strong.
Thank you.
Oneday7702/10/2019 20:26

I guess she's nice, the last one who did mine bit my head off for doing so, gave me the sour face the whole time
Oneday7702/10/2019 20:26

She's probably used to it so like a true professional takes it in good humour

In my mind, optician is the place and optometrist is the person. So when someone says are you an optician it makes me giggle because it's like asking are you a police station or are you a superstore.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants