any people clued up on the law????

20 replies
Found 18th Nov 2009
ok so i live in a smll road (you know average lengh average width (two cars side by side if no one parked) however for the last 6 months we have had a honda garage at the end of the road parking there 09 cars down the road (normally 3 of them) + ll the staff 6 cars plus any going in for mot say 7 cars they park these cars up close together but all in one section of the road making say 20 house have no parking is this legal? also as of two weeks go we have a huge recovery truck from nobel auto's parked down the road blocking it up even more surly this ist legal is it? sorry if some letters re missing this keyboard diesnt get all of them (ps dont buy an acer aspire 7540 horrid keypad)

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
19 Comments

Long as they are taxed and insured then it's legal.
The only thing you could do is have a word with them, if there are any parking restrictions on the road contact the council if the area is council parking, otherwise contact the police.

There is one option, if it's that bad get as many neightbours as you can to sign something saying they are causing an obstruction then go to the police and make a complaint about it,.

Failing that I dunno, I'd consider the calling the council as it may be breaching the conditions they are allowed to conduct a business there, maybe some planning laws being breached?
So many variables but from what you said so far the only real hope is Police and obstruction laws, but thats a 50/50 if they do anything or not or council and breach of planning permission etc

Providing theirs no parking restrictions and their not blocking anyone's driveway etc I would assume it's legal. However I would consider it highly inconsiderate.

Perhaps you should voice your concerns to the owner of the company, Failing that you should voice your concerns to your local council.

Perhaps they might investigate and put some restrictions in place.

Failing that you could carve some obscenities into the parked cars, They might decide to park them elsewhere in future...!!!

Banned

if they are taxed and insured, then they have as much right to park there as you.

not so sure on the commercial truck though

Banned

Overnight parking for lorries

According to the Road Traffic Act, all heavy goods vehicles (those over 7.5 tonnes in weight) have to be parked in a base off the highway overnight.

No I dont think it is legal, only my opinion mind, a quick call to your local council will find out.

Are you saying they park their cars that are for sale in your road, or is it only staff cars parking there?

You may have a point of action under obstructing the highway.
but you do not have a right to park on the road outside your home unless it was bought as part of the home or rental agreement.

i would try talking to the garage and explaining the point.
then i would get lots of people to write to the local paper.
most places do not want bad publicity.

and maybe ask the local police if the road is free enough for emergency vehicles [but you might end up being not able to park yourself...]

Original Poster

well the truck is the one on the far left of the picture (on the main site) nobleautos.co.uk/ but its VERY long good 2 2 1/2 car lenghts and very wide

i have tried speaking to the garage but all they say is uh-huh

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat;6923416

No I dont think it is legal, only my opinion mind, a quick call to your … No I dont think it is legal, only my opinion mind, a quick call to your local council will find out.Are you saying they park their cars that are for sale in your road, or is it only staff cars parking there?

all of em customers / cars coming in for an mot and staff parking yet there is LOADS of room in their forcourt

i have no qualified knowledge, but i don't think the garage can use a public highway as an extended forecourt - do their rates reflect that they are using the road for commercial business?As for the delivery truck, i understand that only if it impedes the passage of an emergancy vehicle that it become s legal matter.

Original Poster

jelli89;6923441

i have no qualified knowledge, but i don't think the garage can use a … i have no qualified knowledge, but i don't think the garage can use a public highway as an extended forecourt - do their rates reflect that they are using the road for commercial business?As for the delivery truck, i understand that only if it impedes the passage of an emergancy vehicle that it become s legal matter.

no its a seperate company that have started parking down our road i have spoken to them but they said thats where they want to park and so they will then hung up LOL nice CS

the recovery vehicle is over 7.5 tonne therefore requires an opertaing licence and when not in use must stored at its base where the licence is registered to or off road with driver ..

Banned

Ask them if they have any cameras watching over the vehicles..... and walk away whistleing!

Original Poster

guv;6923502

Ask them if they have any cameras watching over the vehicles..... and … Ask them if they have any cameras watching over the vehicles..... and walk away whistleing!

if you do that as i did once they then block your car in for the day with two of theirs

Original Poster

wanderer;6923478

the recovery vehicle is over 7.5 tonne therefore requires an opertaing … the recovery vehicle is over 7.5 tonne therefore requires an opertaing licence and when not in use must stored at its base where the licence is registered to or off road with driver ..

so who do speak to then??? thanks for the help so far guys ( n girs)

Get the local newspaper involved.

Banned

jackt010;6923520

so who do speak to then??? thanks for the help so far guys ( n girs)

the council

jackt010;6923516

if you do that as i did once they then block your car in for the day with … if you do that as i did once they then block your car in for the day with two of theirs

They are not allowed to do that.

If they do, phone the police and report the vehicles as possible stolen/abandoned. They'll do an owner check and get the garage to move them.

Why not organise your neighbours and leave your cars, or friends/relatives cars, in the street just outside their forecourt for a few days so that they are forced to use the forecourt for its original purpose.

Unfortunately, however, you are not entitled to park in front of your home.

If it's a Honda franchised dealer causing the problem then a letter or e-mail to Honda UK politely explaining the problem might work.

Most Japanese owned companies are very keen not to upset any potential customers and they are likely to carry more weight with the garage than anyone else!

Original Poster

tony_s1;6924626

If it's a Honda franchised dealer causing the problem then a letter or … If it's a Honda franchised dealer causing the problem then a letter or e-mail to Honda UK politely explaining the problem might work. Most Japanese owned companies are very keen not to upset any potential customers and they are likely to carry more weight with the garage than anyone else!

thanks will do1:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Wuntu - Three (3) Cinema Vouchers Please?11
    2. Ripped off from local garage. Suggestions please.1832
    3. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop59
    4. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...11

See more discussions