Any Piano player

Posted 5th AprEdited by:"jeannot18"
I posted this on a piano forum but so far no one has replied to my post, so i was wondering that maybe somebody here could help

I have been playing guitar for just under 6 years. I have decided to learn to play the piano, and really this is just for me, i have not intention of playing in front people, or becoming any kind of artist. But like with my guitar, i am quite happy to learn to play a few things. I cannot read music, i know a little bit about music theory because of my guitar learning. I cannot afford a teacher, so i have decided to learn on my own for now. Could anyone give me some ideas on the best path to follow. When i started learning the guitar, i was like a kid in sweet shop, subscribing to a lot of youtube channels, buying books, online tutorial etc etc. I realise now that i wasted a lot of time and money getting thing that i did not need. I by the way took a few guitar lessons with 2 different teacher, but really never felt learning as much than when i was learning online with some of the product. I am a slow learner i think because it takes me a lot of time to sometimes remember things or get better at some technique. But like anything i believe than in putting the work, anyone can progress. So if anyone knows maybe a really worthy online course this would be great. I have joined two courses while in lock down (1 was free and the other one paying but it was £1 because of the Covid19 situation). They are Music2me (offered by Thomann the German music shop) and homeschoolpiano.com. I have just started watching their videos and they seems quite good. By the way i have a keyboard (Casio LK-210) that belonged to my late mother-in-law and i think it will be ok for now. If obviously i become better i wont mind purchasing a better one if need be. So please, any ideas, tips or directions, will be most welcome, thank you and another thing, i am not really into classical music, more contemporary stuff
J
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
i can press the demo button
What's wrong with the courses that you've already signed up for? If they have beginners lessons there then just stick with them and keep practicing, it's probably as simple as that. Your keyboard is fine for now, it's like anything in that's it's all about practice, practice, practice.
Haircut_10005/04/2020 14:52

What's wrong with the courses that you've already signed up for? If they …What's wrong with the courses that you've already signed up for? If they have beginners lessons there then just stick with them and keep practicing, it's probably as simple as that. Your keyboard is fine for now, it's like anything in that's it's all about practice, practice, practice.

Nothing wrong with the course, and the fact that one is free and the other one cost only £1 it isn't like i have invested a lot of money. Just wanted to hear from others that have done the DIY learning and maybe tell me to avoid some pitfalls
I'd think reading sheet music would be essential but I'd imagine it would be similar to your guitar where you first learned the notes, then learned the chords.

My Daughter done a music degree on the flute but she also taught herself keyboard/ piano, I'll ask her how she learned when she finishes work.
GlentoranMark05/04/2020 15:10

I'd think reading sheet music would be essential but I'd imagine it would …I'd think reading sheet music would be essential but I'd imagine it would be similar to your guitar where you first learned the notes, then learned the chords.My Daughter done a music degree on the flute but she also taught herself keyboard/ piano, I'll ask her how she learned when she finishes work.

Thank you
What do you think you need lessons for?

Personally, I'm also a guitar to piano migrant, and although I have tried youtube piano lessons, I just couldn't get anything out of them that was of any value. None of them really made any sense to me.

When you play guitar, do you play purely as a mechanical action, or do you understand what's going on? Like, when you play an A minor chord, are you just playing a fingering you've been shown, or are you aware that you're sounding the notes of A, E, and C over your five strings? If it's the latter, then what's stopping you from playing those same notes on your piano? Think of a song you like to play on your guitar. Pick a simple one. Get your guitar and sit at your piano. Play it on guitar. Look at the notes you're playing. Now play them on the piano. Easy, isn't it? If you already have the musical knowledge, you don't need to learn how to play piano, you just need to figure out how to apply what you already know to the new instrument, and then how to apply your own musical style to it, so that you can play what you want to hear on piano, as I hope you can play what you want to hear on guitar.
Pájaro05/04/2020 22:22

What do you think you need lessons for?Personally, I'm also a guitar to …What do you think you need lessons for?Personally, I'm also a guitar to piano migrant, and although I have tried youtube piano lessons, I just couldn't get anything out of them that was of any value. None of them really made any sense to me. When you play guitar, do you play purely as a mechanical action, or do you understand what's going on? Like, when you play an A minor chord, are you just playing a fingering you've been shown, or are you aware that you're sounding the notes of A, E, and C over your five strings? If it's the latter, then what's stopping you from playing those same notes on your piano? Think of a song you like to play on your guitar. Pick a simple one. Get your guitar and sit at your piano. Play it on guitar. Look at the notes you're playing. Now play them on the piano. Easy, isn't it? If you already have the musical knowledge, you don't need to learn how to play piano, you just need to figure out how to apply what you already know to the new instrument, and then how to apply your own musical style to it, so that you can play what you want to hear on piano, as I hope you can play what you want to hear on guitar.

unfortunately i am what you called a mechanical action player. I have no real talent for music, and while i have progressed a fair bit (well you would expect so after almost playing for 6 years every single day).While i know a bit about theory, i have never looked too deep into it. The main reason i have posted my question, is that i want to try to avoid wasting too much time in doing things that are not necessary, or plainly a waste of money and time. The 2 courses i have signed for are actually pretty good, and like every thing else i get a bit OCD about things so i have been practising every day since i have signed. Let's see where this take me anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions