Groups

Any plumbers???

Im needing to change the waher in the mixer tap in the kitchen, its just a normal mixer tap and has the hot on the left and the cold on the right then the spout comes up the middle to let the water out.

thing is, its leaking so how do i stop the dripping??

37 Comments

You've answered your own question. :?

thing is, its leaking so how do i stop the dripping??

Im needing to change the waher in the mixer tap in the kitchen,

Original Poster

How do i do it .......

Banned

saxo_appeal;1475747

How do i do it .......

well you need to turn the water off first, jeeze i will become a plumber yet

sorry thats as far as i can help, i could have a look in me DIY book for ya:thumbsup:

saxo_appeal;1475747

How do i do it .......

You never asked that.

I can do it, but explaining it is quite hard.

Try googling it, there are websites that more or less tell you everything. I used to have these sites bookmarked, but I changed my computer last summer.

thesaint;1475767

I can do it, but explaining it is quite hard..

sounds intriguing, why dont you try:whistling:

thesaint;1475767

You never asked that.I can do it, but explaining it is quite hard.Try … You never asked that.I can do it, but explaining it is quite hard.Try googling it, there are websites that more or less tell you everything. I used to have these sites bookmarked, but I changed my computer last summer.

Mika is a plumber.

bitseylango;1475778

sounds intriguing, why dont you try:whistling:

We'll keep that in our PM exchanges. ;-)

termite;1475780

Mika is a plumber.

Que? :?

Banned

I have found it in my book, you want me to explain, most of it may make sense to you

hottoshop;1475794

Hi Saxo, have a looksy on here … Hi Saxo, have a looksy on here :http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/dripping_tap.htm

That is one of the sites I used to have bookmarked. :thumbsup:

Banned

thesaint;1475806

That is one of the sites I used to have bookmarked. :thumbsup:

Cant you try and explain to saxo, if you know how to do it it shouldnt be that hard to explain

Before you try on your own bear these few things in mind.

1. Turn the water off, then turn on the hot tap and drain the immersion heater if you have one (?run a bath instead of wasting the hot water)
    2. when you get the washer take it to the DIY shop to get a new one, that way you get the right one.
    3. Dont swing on the spanner. If you can't budge it it's stuck and you will end up bustin g the whole unit if you turn it too much.
    4. One of the nuts will probably turn the opposite way to that which you expect.
    5. Make sure the spanners fit properly or you will round off the nuts.

Otherwise, have a go, whats the worst that can happen.

sassie;1475813

Cant you try and explain to saxo, if you know how to do it it shouldnt be … Cant you try and explain to saxo, if you know how to do it it shouldnt be that hard to explain

It's not easy to explain. I can ride a bike, but explaining how to ride a bike is not as simple.
    You just do it on auto-pilot.

oplik;1475835

Otherwise, have a go, whats the worst that can happen.

I get calls from people like you. It ends up costing twice as much.

thesaint;1475906

I get calls from people like you. It ends up costing twice as much.

keeps you busy though:whistling::thumbsup:

Banned

Take a look under the sink as you may be lucky and have hot & cold isolating switches on each supply pipe (coloured red & blue). then just turn them to stop the water coming out. Then its easy from then on.

csiman;1476011

Take a look under the sink as you may be lucky and have hot & cold … Take a look under the sink as you may be lucky and have hot & cold isolating switches on each supply pipe (coloured red & blue). then just turn them to stop the water coming out. Then its easy from then on.

A two year old with a flat screwdriver can turn an isolating valve off.
    To state it is easy from then on is either naive or irresponsible.

thesaint;1476051

A two year old with a flat screwdriver can turn an isolating valve off.To … A two year old with a flat screwdriver can turn an isolating valve off.To state it is easy from then on is either naive or irresponsible.

If you're bored, go and watch Dave.

Banned

thesaint;1476051

A two year old with a flat screwdriver can turn an isolating valve off.To … A two year old with a flat screwdriver can turn an isolating valve off.To state it is easy from then on is either naive or irresponsible.

Mind your own business u cocky git! Its not exactly rocket science to change a tap washer. Mind you, most plumbing isnt exactly difficult hence everybody and their mother can do it with a few weeks training :whistling:

csiman;1476111

Mind your own business u cocky git! Its not exactly rocket science to … Mind your own business u cocky git! Its not exactly rocket science to change a tap washer. Mind you, most plumbing isnt exactly difficult hence everybody and their mother can do it with a few weeks training :whistling:

It's not rocket science, but it's not easy.

csiman;1476011

Take a look under the sink as you may be lucky and have hot & cold … Take a look under the sink as you may be lucky and have hot & cold isolating switches on each supply pipe [COLOR="Red"](coloured red & blue[/COLOR]). then just turn them to stop the water coming out.

These are rare, I have never seen coloured 'Switches' in all my years, only when the water is supplying a washing machine etc.

Banned

thesaint;1476138

It's not rocket science, but it's not easy.These are rare, I have never … It's not rocket science, but it's not easy.These are rare, I have never seen coloured 'Switches' in all my years, only when the water is supplying a washing machine etc.

Mine has them! Maybe cos I fitted them. Any decent plumber would too as they cost about 10p more than a screw one :roll:

Banned

Anyway,

Hi Saxo_appeal

check out this video site for a demo of how its down for a ceramic disc washer

videojug.com/fil…isc

or rubber washer :-

videojug.com/fil…lar

Make sure you do it when B&Q is open as you'll probably need to get down there for a replaacement washer

csiman;1476154

Mine has them! Maybe cos I fitted them. Any decent plumber would too as … Mine has them! Maybe cos I fitted them. Any decent plumber would too as they cost about 10p more than a screw one :roll:

I think you are being a bit hasty in condemning plumbers who do not fit "Washing machine valves" to water supply taps.

I bet if you phoned 10 plumbers that you think are decent, not one of them would fit them.
    Why you would need them colour coded anyway. :thinking:

If you run into any problems saxo PM me and I'll let you know how to sort it out:thumbsup:

Banned

fox2020;1476437

If you run into any problems saxo PM me and I'll let you know how to sort … If you run into any problems saxo PM me and I'll let you know how to sort it out:thumbsup:

well done fox:thumbsup:

sassie;1476443

well done fox:thumbsup:

http://board.freeones.com/images/smilies/hatsoff.gif

csiman;1476154

Any decent plumber would too as they cost about 10p more than a screw one … Any decent plumber would too as they cost about 10p more than a screw one :roll:

Been a plumber for 12 years and I have never seen coloured ones (except lever valves which you won't find under a kitchen sink). I have also never changed a washer ever either.

Having looked at the picture from saxo you would pick off the top of the tap nob, not easy to know which washer has perished from a drip. So flip a coin, once the top is off you will find a screw, unscrew and the nob lifts off. It's just a matter off unwinding the guts out and you will find the washer. If it's sound then do the same with the other one. You may want to change both at the same time anyway while you doing it. Obviously isolate the supply pipe before you do anything.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replys, ill have a go the morrow !!

Banned

saxo_appeal;1477206

Thanks everyone for your replys, ill have a go the morrow !!

good luck saxo, i'll be think of ya:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Banned

pinkleponkle;1476608

Been a plumber for 12 years and I have never seen coloured ones (except … Been a plumber for 12 years and I have never seen coloured ones (except lever valves which you won't find under a kitchen sink). I have also never changed a washer ever either.Having looked at the picture from saxo you would pick off the top of the tap nob, not easy to know which washer has perished from a drip. So flip a coin, once the top is off you will find a screw, unscrew and the nob lifts off. It's just a matter off unwinding the guts out and you will find the washer. If it's sound then do the same with the other one. You may want to change both at the same time anyway while you doing it. Obviously isolate the supply pipe before you do anything.

My mistake, I fitted black coloured isolating valves. Anyway, good advice above and I was only trying to point out that it was an easy job but thesaint was making out it wasnt.

csiman;1477774

My mistake, I fitted black coloured isolating valves. Anyway, good advice … My mistake, I fitted black coloured isolating valves. Anyway, good advice above and I was only trying to point out that it was an easy job but thesaint was making out it wasnt.

You were wrong yesterday, you are wrong now, and my instincts tell me you will be wrong later. ;-)

Banned

You were big-headed yesterday, you are big-headed now and my instincts tell me you won't be later. Pop! http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/136716/any-plumbers/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Banned

JDeal;1477830

You were big-headed yesterday, you are big-headed now and my instincts … You were big-headed yesterday, you are big-headed now and my instincts tell me you won't be later. Pop! ;-)

thesaint seems to be very unpopular on this site, Maybe he should change his name to billynomates :-D

JDeal;1477830

You were big-headed yesterday, you are big-headed now and my instincts … You were big-headed yesterday, you are big-headed now and my instincts tell me you won't be later. Pop!

csiman;1477843

thesaint seems to be very unpopular on this site, Maybe he should change … thesaint seems to be very unpopular on this site, Maybe he should change his name to billynomates :-D

Hilarious. :-D

Banned

csiman;1477843

thesaint seems to be very unpopular on this site, Maybe he should change … thesaint seems to be very unpopular on this site, Maybe he should change his name to billynomates :-D

I don't think me and thesaint cross paths much, he just comes across as a little abrasive or *****... or abrasive - I forget which. I've got a brilliant idea though! That's continue talking of him in third person, as though he can't read this and he will have a general overall feeling of not being loved. http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/136716/any-plumbers/images/smilies/lazy2.gif
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions