Any plumbers DIY'rs? basin waste problem

Found 16th Aug 2017
OK so dumbass here glanced at an ebay listing and ordered a new waste which doesn't fit on the old bottle trap, anyone know of any adapters for this problem?
ebay.co.uk/itm…=bu

the threaded part for the new waste is about 5-8mm smaller in diameter and attaching the ss tube part is a very slim 31.5mm, tried a compression on this but its too slim/slippery. when asked about a compatible trap seller responded with "find one on ebay" in very bad English lol
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
So the new waste fits your basin?. That type of waste would normally be used on a wall mounted basin as it visable. Is your a pedestal basin?. Is your trap 40mm or 32mm?. Can you upload a photo of your current setup.

I'd be tempted to get a click waste from your local plumbers to suit the size of trap you already have rather than trying to adapt it to your new waste if sizes are different.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 16th Aug 2017
If it's definately 31.5mm a decent compression fitting should fit. Try a McAlpine one like this with the adjustable part removed to get straight onto a trap.

You would be much better off just using a normal threaded clicker clacker waste, with a chrome trap if it's on show.
Original Poster
ScubaDudes2 h, 5 m ago

So the new waste fits your basin?. That type of waste would normally be …So the new waste fits your basin?. That type of waste would normally be used on a wall mounted basin as it visable. Is your a pedestal basin?. Is your trap 40mm or 32mm?. Can you upload a photo of your current setup. I'd be tempted to get a click waste from your local plumbers to suit the size of trap you already have rather than trying to adapt it to your new waste if sizes are different.

yeah it fits the basin ok the trap is for a normal 32mm, its a bog standard cheapie pedestal basin going to a wall outlet about 400mm below the basin outlet.
before there was a normal plug type with a bottle trap and a short length of 32mm attaching it to a compression elbow and out the wall. fault is defo with the new pipe.
the new bit is actually quite a nice solid feel to it all SS so i suspect it's part of a more complex setup that should include a part to go to the wall and it's own trap, but you are right i think it's a trip to toolstation for one of theirs
Original Poster
themorgatron1 h, 7 m ago

If it's definately 31.5mm a decent compression fitting should fit. Try a …If it's definately 31.5mm a decent compression fitting should fit. Try a McAlpine one like this with the adjustable part removed to get straight onto a trap.You would be much better off just using a normal threaded clicker clacker waste, with a chrome trap if it's on show.

unf. the top bit that attaches to the basin is screwfit and there's the problem, diff size at that point if i take off the ss sleeve this has on, also no backnut which this sleeve acts as.
if i could get just the bottom bit for a couple of quid i would go down that route as i have two also see mcalpine do a flexi one similar and thought about forming a trap out of that but the cost is the same as a new basin waste lol
Get a plumber in - save yourself the aggro and time wasted.
pennyfarthing8810 h, 52 m ago

Get a plumber in - save yourself the aggro and time wasted.

Have you got money to burn?
chocci10 h, 40 m ago

Have you got money to burn?

Not at all and far from it' BUT in my experience especially with plumbing problems it can be cost effective to get a professional in.

There are plenty of online websites where you can post a full description of the problem and pics and get an upfront quote.

Not always granted just sometimes it can be cost effective - less aggro less stress ( which is a killer ! ) and less time effort and money going back and forth to the diy store to try and sort it.

And I've done it!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions