Groups

Any plumbers here?

I got a new kitchen mixer tap installed today, by a family member. However he has gone now and the new tap dripping! I am pretty sure a new tap should not drip - any ideas what it could be? I will get him to come back but not sure when so wondering if there is anything I can do? Thanks

11 Comments

The washer?

How fast is dripping?

Drip drip

Or steady flow?

The same thing happened when our new tap was fitted.

We took out the washer and found some grit on it that stopped it from making a seal properly. We washed it off (in pre-filled washing up bowl, just in case!) and it worked fine. No more drips!

May not be the same but an easy thing to try before calling back your man.

Original Poster

Starr;6010312

The washer?How fast is dripping?Drip dripOr steady flow?

Just now and again - slow drip. Not drip drip drip fast

Original Poster

tremblyseren;6010341

The same thing happened when our new tap was fitted. We took out the … The same thing happened when our new tap was fitted. We took out the washer and found some grit on it that stopped it from making a seal properly. We washed it off (in pre-filled washing up bowl, just in case!) and it worked fine. No more drips! May not be the same but an easy thing to try before calling back your man.

Thanks, will try that

bargainhunter2009;6010379

Just now and again - slow drip. Not drip drip drip fast

Im no plumber but i think its the washer, as post above states also

Turn off water, undo tap head, remove washer check for grit, replace washer.

Should be fine, sometimes washers just dont sit right :thumbsup:

call him back out

Original Poster

payway;6010404

call him back out

No cant do that, he is quite old and was really tired. Will see if I can do the washer or get boyfriend to look at it at the weekend. Thanks everyone

Fitting taps can often disturb limescale, grit or solder which will find its way to a washer and cause a drip.

It's probably easily solved if you know how to get to it. Of course with the water turned off. Turn the water back on at the mains slowly, just in case you have made it worse.

If the washer is split you will need a new one before you take the old one out. Otherwise you will be left with no water, depending where your nearest stop tap/connector is.

It's always worth fitting a valve that isolate your taps. It will turn off with a screwdriver, kitchen knife or coin.

Original Poster

christuttiett;6010611

Fitting taps can often disturb limescale, grit or solder which will find … Fitting taps can often disturb limescale, grit or solder which will find its way to a washer and cause a drip.It's probably easily solved if you know how to get to it. Of course with the water turned off. Turn the water back on at the mains slowly, just in case you have made it worse.If the washer is split you will need a new one before you take the old one out. Otherwise you will be left with no water, depending where your nearest stop tap/connector is.It's always worth fitting a valve that isolate your taps. It will turn off with a screwdriver, kitchen knife or coin.

Thank you for your help - have asked my boyfriend to check at the weekend. I replaced these taps as the other ones were horrible and really old but this one causing me a right nightmare too!

Home from work, not plumbing. It's one of these I was talking about:

screwfix.com/pro…-10

Original Poster

christuttiett;6011652

Home from work, not plumbing. It's one of these I was talking … Home from work, not plumbing. It's one of these I was talking about:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67670/Plumbing/Brassware/Isolating-Valve-15mm-Pack-of-10

Thanks very much
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      2. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      3. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118

See more discussions