Groups

Any plumbers or DIY'ers here?? Leaky toilet!!

I've not long moved into a new(ish) built flat, the water had been switched off for a few months. There is a small think pipe running from underneath the toilet cisten into the wall, this started to leak (i think at the join) and now it's getting worse and worse. How can I fix this, even temporarly? I'm going away for the weekend and don't think i've got time to arrange a plumber...however there is a small DIY shop near my work!!

Rep given to anyone that can help!!

18 Comments

is it a bolt or is it solder?

copper or plastic?

It's an overflow pipe, which must mean that the cistern is overflowing.

If not continually overflowing dry it off and get some silicone sealant from your local diy and put some round the joint.

If it is permanantly overflowing either find out why or isolate the water supply to the cistern(if you can)

Original Poster

fwog;5472318

is it a bolt or is it solder?

Oooh I don't know...sorry I'm REALLy thick when it comes to this stuff! Think its a plastic pipe that has been painted over...

It is probably either a flexible pipe, or plastic pipe. Is there a small valve as you follow the pipe from the cistern backwards (will look like a small screw in the pipework).

If so, isolate the water by turning the screw 90 degrees and check that the water is stopped by taking the top off the cistern and pushing down on the valve that lets water into the cistern, or alternatively flush the toilet. If you dont get any new water in the cistern then you are OK to undo the pipe into the cistern, wrap some PTFE tape around the thread, or use a good blob of plumbers mait and carefully put back onto the thread, being sure that you don't overtighten or cross thread.

If you don't have a valve on the pipework, you'll need to turn off the cold water by finding your stopcock and then checking as above that the cistern no longer fills with water when the toilet is flushed.

Good Luck!

Original Poster

greg_68;5472333

It's an overflow pipe, which must mean that the cistern is overflowing.If … It's an overflow pipe, which must mean that the cistern is overflowing.If not continually overflowing dry it off and get some silicone sealant from your local diy and put some round the joint.If it is permanantly overflowing either find out why or isolate the water supply to the cistern(if you can)

Eek sorry I'm really thick, no idea if it's continually overflowing, it was only dripping a little and not it fills a glass of water overnight!

If the cistern is overflowing as greg says :

Take the lid of the cistern
    Locate the ballcock (big round floaty thing on the left )
    There is a white plastic nut on the ballcock arm
    Adjust the nut to lower the ballcock which will in turn stop the cistern over flowing (water going into the overflow pipe)

It might be a faulty ballcock valve tho so you'd need to replace the ballcock arm mechanism. I've done it and it's not too difficult once you have the right part (which costs less than a tenner at B&Q). Don't forget to turn the water off first !

chunky;5472381

Eek sorry I'm really thick, no idea if it's continually overflowing, it … Eek sorry I'm really thick, no idea if it's continually overflowing, it was only dripping a little and not it fills a glass of water overnight!

If it runs into the bottom of the cistern it will be a cold water supply pipe - The overflow pipes will come out of the cistern about 3/4 of the way up.

:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Jasonl;5472372

It is probably either a flexible pipe, or plastic pipe. Is there a small … It is probably either a flexible pipe, or plastic pipe. Is there a small valve as you follow the pipe from the cistern backwards (will look like a small screw in the pipework). If so, isolate the water by turning the screw 90 degrees and check that the water is stopped by taking the top off the cistern and pushing down on the valve that lets water into the cistern, or alternatively flush the toilet. If you dont get any new water in the cistern then you are OK to undo the pipe into the cistern, wrap some PTFE tape around the thread, or use a good blob of plumbers mait and carefully put back onto the thread, being sure that you don't overtighten or cross thread.If you don't have a valve on the pipework, you'll need to turn off the cold water by finding your stopcock and then checking as above that the cistern no longer fills with water when the toilet is flushed.Good Luck!

Thank you thank you....I am going to have to find a plumber...I'm so rubbish at this stuff!!

Original Poster

Jasonl;5472406

If it runs into the bottom of the cistern it will be a cold water supply … If it runs into the bottom of the cistern it will be a cold water supply pipe - The overflow pipes will come out of the cistern about 3/4 of the way up.:thumbsup:

Yeh that's it...it actually goes from underneath the cisten...the toilet still flushes fine...hmmmm

Original Poster

tallpete33;5472398

If the cistern is overflowing as greg says :Take the lid of the … If the cistern is overflowing as greg says :Take the lid of the cisternLocate the ballcock (big round floaty thing on the left )There is a white plastic nut on the ballcock armAdjust the nut to lower the ballcock which will in turn stop the cistern over flowing (water going into the overflow pipe)It might be a faulty ballcock valve tho so you'd need to replace the ballcock arm mechanism. I've done it and it's not too difficult once you have the right part (which costs less than a tenner at B&Q). Don't forget to turn the water off first !

Thanks for that,,,hmmm...I don't think the cisten is overflowing, it does sound more like it's the cold water pipe, the toilet is working as per normal...it's just the leak is getting worse!

chunky;5472424

Yeh that's it...it actually goes from underneath the cisten...the toilet … Yeh that's it...it actually goes from underneath the cisten...the toilet still flushes fine...hmmmm

Simple fix .. if you can stop the water coming into the cistern then it really is a 5 minute job if you have PTFE tape or plumbers mait (a sticky putty like gunk that seals joints)

Have done it myself .. and I am no plumber!

Can you take a picture?

Jasonl;5472406

If it runs into the bottom of the cistern it will be a cold water supply … If it runs into the bottom of the cistern it will be a cold water supply pipe - The overflow pipes will come out of the cistern about 3/4 of the way up.:thumbsup:

Not necessarily true, my overflow exits from the bottom of the cistern.

Banned

sound to me like its the large pipe under the toilet the 4" one that the toilet its self atatches to ? and not the 22mm overflow pipe

Have a look outside where the pipe should come throught the wall.

If it permanently flowing out (even a dribble) you ballcock is either set too high or it is not shutting the valve off properly.

thesaint;5472486

Can you take a picture?Not necessarily true, my overflow exits from the … Can you take a picture?Not necessarily true, my overflow exits from the bottom of the cistern.

+1

thesaint;5472486

Can you take a picture?Not necessarily true, my overflow exits from the … Can you take a picture?Not necessarily true, my overflow exits from the bottom of the cistern.

Probably best to get the picture eh? .. or flush the toilet and feel the vibrations in the pipe to determine if it is overflow or not (should feel vibrations if it is supply pipe) .. or alternatively take top off cistern and trace where pipe enters cistern - should be easy to see if it is overflow or supply

I recommend using [url]www.mybuilder.com[/url] - upload what work needs doing, so local trades people can contact you with a quote. I used it twice with good results.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1231
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions