Expired

Any Plumbers/Diyers out there?

Found 17th Dec 2017Edited by:"Toptrumpet"
Trying to fix my toilet (that keeps running) by replacing the fill valve but can't get the original plastic nut off from under the cistern. The pipe is too close to the back wall tiles to use a spanner. Thought I might need what I think is an adjustable basin spanner (so I can get better access) the plastic nut is approximately 30mm.
can basin spanners fit such a size or are they only for 15-20 mm nuts such as those found on tap tails?
Any help appreciated as currently toilet is half dismantled
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
300mm? You sure? Was going to say waterpump pliers but they don't open a foot wide......
Original Poster
Whoops 30mm. Currently stressed and dying for a tinkle
Toptrumpet4 m ago

Whoops 30mm. Currently stressed and dying for a tinkle

Pretty sure the spring loaded basin wrenches would fit as bath tap nuts are about 28mm.
Can you take cistern off? Any way to disconnect from a flexible hose connector or isolation valve further down pipe.. Then you can swap and test for leaks before fitting cistern back on... If not then mole grips or whatever you have to get a grip on nut.. Soon as you get it to move it should be easy.. Picture would help
Edited by: "wayners" 17th Dec 2017
Screwdriver/chisel and small hammer and gently persuade it one face at a time!
virgil471 h, 23 m ago

Screwdriver/chisel and small hammer and gently persuade it one face at a …Screwdriver/chisel and small hammer and gently persuade it one face at a time!

I like these original ideas. It is what makes the Ask section of hukd so great
Needs must!
I would of thought if you were replacing the fill valve then you would replace the whole lot up to the cutoff valve as it's all one unit ? I would just cut the plastic nut off as you wont be keeping any of it.

Also make sure that you get a brass thread instead of the plastic one as these go brittle and you end up with water spraying all over the place.
Tap spanner?

32793361-3QdY9.jpg

Think I've got one knocking about. If you are local to Nottingham and prepared to collect / return I'll look for it. Otherwise £6 from screwfix <<< example
Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, it's just that the plastic nut is in such a small confined space. I'm working with my head upside down (getting dizzy) with a torch in one hand and spanner in the other. OnceI get the spanner on there's no space to turn it and I can hear the porcelain 'crunch'
Might just pop down to screwfix. Tried the local plumbers merchants but they might as well have a sign on the window saying 'Please do not come in unless you want to be treated like an idiot and go away empty handed as customer satisfaction is not on our radar'.
Such an easy job, if only I had the right tools to hand.
Toptrumpet47 m ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's just that the plastic nut is in such …Thanks for all the suggestions, it's just that the plastic nut is in such a small confined space. I'm working with my head upside down (getting dizzy) with a torch in one hand and spanner in the other. OnceI get the spanner on there's no space to turn it and I can hear the porcelain 'crunch' Might just pop down to screwfix. Tried the local plumbers merchants but they might as well have a sign on the window saying 'Please do not come in unless you want to be treated like an idiot and go away empty handed as customer satisfaction is not on our radar'.Such an easy job, if only I had the right tools to hand.

Virgil47 had the right idea. Worked for me in the past

And get someone else to hold the torch
chocci3 m ago

Virgil47 had the right idea. Worked for me in the pastAnd get someone else …Virgil47 had the right idea. Worked for me in the pastAnd get someone else to hold the torch

or get one of these

Original Poster
MANAGED TO DO IT!
Hubby came to my rescue using brute force (he calls it engineering skills) and twisting valve from inside the cistern.
Thanks everyone for your help.
And @mutley might get one of those head torches for all the family to wear and then stop replacing light bulbs around the house
Toptrumpet2 h, 8 m ago

MANAGED TO DO IT!Hubby came to my rescue using brute force (he calls it …MANAGED TO DO IT!Hubby came to my rescue using brute force (he calls it engineering skills) and twisting valve from inside the cistern.Thanks everyone for your help.And @mutley might get one of those head torches for all the family to wear and then stop replacing light bulbs around the house

i try not to ask my husband to help with DIY as he either says that we should pay for someone else to do it, or he will break it as he applies too much force. if i need anything breaking up then i go to him
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants