Groups

Any plumbers/heating engineers on here?

My nan lives in an upstairs maisonette, she wants two radiators adding to her place (one in bedroom and another in the bathroom) also she wants a shower, she has had Southern Electric out to quote so far and they have come back with £2000 including VAT - To me that sounds extortionate and I don't want to see her ripped off.

They told her that included a 15% discount if she agreed to sign up for it on the day which she agreed to (yes, that old scam!) - so I feel she was pressurised, thankfully she has a cooling off period but I just wanted to know roughly what she would be looking to pay if she used a local independent outfit?

Just to confirm:

Supply and Fit 2 Radiators and a Power Shower.

12 Comments

Why don't you phone a local plumber?
    Surely that's better than asking a theoretical question on here?

Son (plumber/heating engineer) says ...depending on layout she should be looking at nearer £1000/£1500
    He suggerst finding a local plumber for quote. Does seem very expensive

thesaint;7633661

Why don't you phone a local plumber?Surely that's better than asking a … Why don't you phone a local plumber?Surely that's better than asking a theoretical question on here?

Because asking on here she will get an immediate answer. Also, more likely to be a bit more honest as anyone answering here is not likely to be doing the job and has no reason to "add a bit on". Also, nice to have a ballpark figure to begin with, before getting quotes in.

Edit : For example, the post above mine.

Depends on pipe runs, what the walls & floor are made of, if concrete it'll be a lot more work than if it's plasterboard. You say a power shower, has she got the necessary hot and cold water tanks for that?, if not they'll have to be put in etc etc etc. It could be anything from £800 upwards I'd say to do the job :-D

well have a look on [URL="www.plumbcenter.co.uk"]www.plumbcenter.co.uk[/URL] see if you can find the parts on there. Chances are the local plumber uses them too and has a trade account and gets further discount.

Obviously the prices will depend on the size of the rad and the type of shower and then local labour rates of the plumber. I'd say go independent for the work though, better service and more personal too.

Power shower may need the fuse box to be changed, it hard to give you a figure with so many variables , you need to see the quote and list full details of work to be done

Banned

power shower cost me £500 including fitting

rad should be about £150 each depending on how much work involved obviously (I;m guessing they are replacing existing old ones)

£2000 is an amazing quote!

i charge £30 pm of pipe work rad is about £80 bits and bobs £40 per rad powershower could be anything from £180 upwards (why do u need a power shower ? low water pressure?)Normal shower half gud £70 upwards again i imagine she has a combi bolier ?? would say your over qouted by £800- 1K
    Again depends where you live for prices if u know what i mean......................

Never get a quote from the big energy groups unless you want a laugh or a heart attack, complete joke, ask family and friends if they can recommend a decent plumber and get three different written quotes and make sure you are there when they come to do the job.

Original Poster

thesaint;7633661

Why don't you phone a local plumber?Surely that's better than asking a … Why don't you phone a local plumber?Surely that's better than asking a theoretical question on here?

Because her 7 day cooling off period ends on Monday and I have only just found out about, have tried a few local firms but obviously they are reluctant to quote over the phone.

Thanks for the replies, I think am going to get her to cancel, I too thought £1000 would be closer to the mark.

deanos;7633875

Power shower may need the fuse box to be changed, it hard to give you a … Power shower may need the fuse box to be changed, it hard to give you a figure with so many variables , you need to see the quote and list full details of work to be done

Henley block the tails and bang in a rcd/enclosure
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio914
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846197
      3. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764293

See more discussions