Any Point Anymore?

Posted 16th Dec 2019
It seems that nearly every deal has gone hot tonight even though a lot of them are stinkers.
Mind you, I haven't seen an Anker deal for a good hour, so that's a plus.
So my point being, should mods and pepper experts be allowed to vote on deals?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
myusernamehasgone23416/12/2019 22:03

The flamedeer are roaming at the moment and Christmas is just around the …The flamedeer are roaming at the moment and Christmas is just around the corner the traffic to the site will be at its peak so this is likely to explain the flurry of hot votes on deal more and more deals

Voting system does go a bit off during any Hotdeals comp - its almost as if people think voting a deal hot makes it more likely for a flamedeer to appear.....
45 Comments
"So my point being, should mods and pepper experts be allowed to vote on deals?" - why should they not be allowed?
Peps and Mods have no more voting power than other members. We can still vote cold too, as well as hot. Personally, I only vote hot on a deal that means something to me and I think it's a good price., irrelevant of who posted it. I rarely vote cold.
This is the busiest time of year on hotukdeals, so many more deals will get voted hot, compared with, say deals posted in August which explains why you are seeing a lot more 'hot' deals.
Also, remember we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best price' (at the time they were posted).
Surprised then, that, as you say, there are some stinkers. Please drop me a PM with links to these stinkers and a link to where they are available cheaper and we can review them. Thanks.
Edited by: "andywedge" 16th Dec 2019
The voting system needs changing. Every deal will eventually get hot due to the users joining and most not having a clue if that is a good price example chocolate bars that are more or less always £1 in supermarkets getting very hot. We will soon have 90% of deals on hot list and alerted for it. I think if you have three lines in the top corner (cheapest £1 7/12/19, highest £1.50 regular price £1 on each deal would be more effective.
MR112316/12/2019 21:57

The voting system needs changing. Every deal will eventually get hot due …The voting system needs changing. Every deal will eventually get hot due to the users joining and most not having a clue if that is a good price example chocolate bars that are more or less always £1 in supermarkets getting very hot. We will soon have 90% of deals on hot list and alerted for it. I think if you have three lines in the top corner (cheapest £1 7/12/19, highest £1.50 regular price £1 on each deal would be more effective.

If something posted is a standard price we also move them to Discussions. I recall when every merchant had Chocolate Oranges at £1 - they were moved over. Not exactly a deal is it, when everyone sells it at the same price?
We do have the 'Next Best Price' field, which most of the time Mods have to resaerch and add this. What you are suggesting is somewhat impossible, as its difficult enough to get a deal posted with the correct link / title / price / image etc. Adding another complication would not improve things.
Edited by: "andywedge" 17th Dec 2019
With all deals now been market leading, so always the cheapest available at the time and more and more users joining the site it makes sense that more deals will go hot. I don’t think the experts / mods votes will be having the biggest impact here.

The flamedeer are roaming at the moment and Christmas is just around the corner the traffic to the site will be at its peak so this is likely to explain the flurry of hot votes on deal more and more deals
andywedge16/12/2019 22:00

If something posted is a standard price we also move them to Discussions. …If something posted is a standard price we also move them to Discussions. I recall when every merchant had Chocolate Oranges at £1 - they were moved over. Not exactly a deal is it, when everyone sells it at the same price?We do have the 'Next Best Price' field, which 95% of the time Mods have to resaerch and add this. What you are suggesting is somewhat impossible, as its difficult enough to get a deal posted with the correct link / title / price / image etc. Adding another complication would not improve things.

Funny you should mention chocolate oranges we still saw one creep through into the deals

hotukdeals.com/dea…550

Is it a HUKD’d office joke these chocolate orange deals

They are always £1 in a number of stores, and generally on promotion everywhere 90% of the time. I can’t for the life in me understand why the get so much heat over and over again
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 16th Dec 2019
myusernamehasgone23416/12/2019 22:08

Funny you should mention chocolate oranges we still saw one creep through …Funny you should mention chocolate oranges we still saw one creep through into the dealshttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/terrys-chocolate-orange-milk-1-at-asda-3361550Is it a HUKD’d office joke these chocolate orange deals They are always £1 in a number of stores, and generally on promotion everywhere 90% of the time. I can’t for the life in me understand why the get so much heat over and over again

Ah yes, I checked that one. The ones I'm referring to were posted in November. More than a month after that was posted. I checked prices again and pretty much from what I could find they had gone up in price elsehere (bear in mind though the deers have taken my sanity)
Edited by: "andywedge" 17th Dec 2019
DanielMurgatroyd16/12/2019 22:28

Comment deleted

There's a famous chocolate orange deal for 99p that's a sticking point.
It's an odd thing that puzzles me every Christmas time. Why do people get so excited about these things? I mean, I'd rather eat the contents of my cats litter tray. They are vile. And, on top of that, £1 is standard price (most of the time). Although 99p is quite awesome
No, seriously, if something is cheap 'right now' compared with elsehere then go for it.
(Wedge awaits Creme Eggs, hides, cries etc)
myusernamehasgone23416/12/2019 22:03

The flamedeer are roaming at the moment and Christmas is just around the …The flamedeer are roaming at the moment and Christmas is just around the corner the traffic to the site will be at its peak so this is likely to explain the flurry of hot votes on deal more and more deals

Voting system does go a bit off during any Hotdeals comp - its almost as if people think voting a deal hot makes it more likely for a flamedeer to appear.....
andywedge16/12/2019 22:42

It's an odd thing that puzzles me every Christmas time. Why do people get …It's an odd thing that puzzles me every Christmas time. Why do people get so excited about these things? I mean, I'd rather eat the contents of my cats litter tray. They are vile. And, on top of that, £1 is standard price (most of the time). Although 99p is quite awesome No, seriously, if something is cheap 'right now' compared with elsehere then go for it.(Wedge awaits Creme Eggs, hides, cries etc)

I know what to send you for Christmas now. Some shop soiled chocolate oranges, cosmetic damage to the boxes.

Edit: Superficial damage I meant!
39407690-HJSJx.jpg
Edited by: "jayhutton10" 16th Dec 2019
gari18916/12/2019 22:42

Voting system does go a bit off during any Hotdeals comp - its almost as …Voting system does go a bit off during any Hotdeals comp - its almost as if people think voting a deal hot makes it more likely for a flamedeer to appear.....

T E L L M E A B O U T I T
gari18916/12/2019 22:42

Voting system does go a bit off during any Hotdeals comp - its almost as …Voting system does go a bit off during any Hotdeals comp - its almost as if people think voting a deal hot makes it more likely for a flamedeer to appear.....

Yep, this is exactly what happens. We do try to make it as clear as possible that posting, commenting, voting won't make the little fiery creatures appear - but I guess it's understandable that people will try everything.

Applying some kind of deflationary pressure on the voting would be a nightmare though, and would probably cause more argument than not, so for now it's something we just live with.
Planty72016/12/2019 22:53

Yep, this is exactly what happens. We do try to make it as clear as …Yep, this is exactly what happens. We do try to make it as clear as possible that posting, commenting, voting won't make the little fiery creatures appear - but I guess it's understandable that people will try everything.Applying some kind of deflationary pressure on the voting would be a nightmare though, and would probably cause more argument than not, so for now it's something we just live with.

Always see a huge increase in Gold Reindeer products been posted too
DanielMurgatroyd16/12/2019 22:55

Comment deleted

Hi. I just checked. There is a reason your comments are moderated. I won't go into it in this thread but can you drop Admin a PM to disctsss (use the Contact link below). Thanks
@chimp14uk hey don’t knock my Anker deal I was happy with that one
myusernamehasgone23416/12/2019 22:56

Always see a huge increase in Gold Reindeer products been posted too

I have personally shot them all and they are on sale at Manchester market this Sunday (damn, just had to suspend myself for a day for self promo). Whoohoo a day off. Bye
DanielMurgatroyd16/12/2019 23:01

Comment deleted

Daniel, I won't go into it on a public forum. But if you check your infractions and suspensions it should be clear. Please though, do drop Admin a message. It's not something that can't be overturned.
Planty72016/12/2019 22:53

Yep, this is exactly what happens. We do try to make it as clear as …Yep, this is exactly what happens. We do try to make it as clear as possible that posting, commenting, voting won't make the little fiery creatures appear - but I guess it's understandable that people will try everything.Applying some kind of deflationary pressure on the voting would be a nightmare though, and would probably cause more argument than not, so for now it's something we just live with.

Might be worth explaining a little on next years flamedeer thread how they pop up. I spend far to much of my time on here doing as I am told just doing what I usually do and then you see people with crazy amounts of them, never makes sense to me.
eslick16/12/2019 23:04

Might be worth explaining a little on next years flamedeer thread how they …Might be worth explaining a little on next years flamedeer thread how they pop up. I spend far to much of my time on here doing as I am told just doing what I usually do and then you see people with crazy amounts of them, never makes sense to me.

They are quite random. It is luck.
DanielMurgatroyd16/12/2019 23:06

Comment deleted

Daniel, I really don't want to go into it on a public forum but that is not the reason
eslick16/12/2019 23:04

Might be worth explaining a little on next years flamedeer thread how they …Might be worth explaining a little on next years flamedeer thread how they pop up. I spend far to much of my time on here doing as I am told just doing what I usually do and then you see people with crazy amounts of them, never makes sense to me.

Have you asked the winners their secret?

Never won anything

I always miss a few when they crop up during creating a post or something. So frustrating
myusernamehasgone23416/12/2019 23:12

Have you asked the winners their secret?Never won anything I always …Have you asked the winners their secret?Never won anything I always miss a few when they crop up during creating a post or something. So frustrating

Yeah that’s alway annoying, won a voucher once think it was a couple of quid for Amazon so probably had my share

andywedge16/12/2019 23:10

They are quite random. It is luck.

Edited by: "eslick" 16th Dec 2019
DanielMurgatroyd16/12/2019 23:15

Comment deleted

See my above comments. I'm not going to go into personal reasons in public. But in answer to your questions, no, that is not the reason.
39408823-BW8iI.jpg
andywedge16/12/2019 21:40

Peps and Mods have no more voting power than other members. We can still …Peps and Mods have no more voting power than other members. We can still vote cold too, as well as hot. Personally, I only vote hot on a deal that means something to me and I think it's a good price., irrelevant of who posted it. I rarely vote cold. This is the busiest time of year on hotukdeals, so many more deals will get voted hot, compared with, say deals posted in August which explains why you are seeing a lot more 'hot' deals. Also, remember we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best price' (at the time they were posted).Surprised then, that, as you say, there are some stinkers. Please drop me a PM with links to these stinkers and a link to where they are available cheaper and we can review them. Thanks.

"...we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best price.."

unless posted by a mod/PEP member of course.
adamspencer9517/12/2019 06:35

"...we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best …"...we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best price.."unless posted by a mod/PEP member of course.

If you see any examples of deals posted that aren't best price, whether by PEPs, editors or anyone else, please report it
Planty72017/12/2019 06:42

If you see any examples of deals posted that aren't best price, whether by …If you see any examples of deals posted that aren't best price, whether by PEPs, editors or anyone else, please report it

i did.

i got ignored.

hotukdeals.com/dea…377
adamspencer9517/12/2019 06:43

i did.i got …i did.i got ignored.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-7-2700-gen2-8-core-am4-cpuprocessor-with-led-wraith-spire-cooler-13999-at-ccl-3347377

I'll look into it and let you know
adamspencer9517/12/2019 06:43

i did.i got …i did.i got ignored.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-7-2700-gen2-8-core-am4-cpuprocessor-with-led-wraith-spire-cooler-13999-at-ccl-3347377

The mods who reviewed it aren't on shift yet, so I can check for certain later, but after reading the thread and checking CamelCamelCamel I'm fairly confident of the explanation

The item was posted at £139.99. In the comments you and another user spotted it 9p cheaper, at £139.90 on Amazon. This sort of £140 price point was also more than 10% cheaper than its previous cheapest price in past two years.

Given the difference between the deal and Amazon was just 0.06%, and that the price as posted was already a historic low, it makes sense to me that this was left live after review. Mods are encouraged to take common sense approach to things, as we see so many variations of deal and report - and this would have applied whether it was a PEP, editor or whoever that had posted it.

Just as an aside, as this is by no means the main reason, the deal was posted and then reviewed by mods between 8 and 10pm on the Thursday evening before Black Friday. This is literally the busiest two hour stretch of time for everything - deals, comments, reports - on the site in the whole year. Point being, we're sorry if you didn't get given a full explanation at the time, but this may have been why.
Planty72017/12/2019 08:34

The mods who reviewed it aren't on shift yet, so I can check for certain …The mods who reviewed it aren't on shift yet, so I can check for certain later, but after reading the thread and checking CamelCamelCamel I'm fairly confident of the explanationThe item was posted at £139.99. In the comments you and another user spotted it 9p cheaper, at £139.90 on Amazon. This sort of £140 price point was also more than 10% cheaper than its previous cheapest price in past two years.Given the difference between the deal and Amazon was just 0.06%, and that the price as posted was already a historic low, it makes sense to me that this was left live after review. Mods are encouraged to take common sense approach to things, as we see so many variations of deal and report - and this would have applied whether it was a PEP, editor or whoever that had posted it.Just as an aside, as this is by no means the main reason, the deal was posted and then reviewed by mods between 8 and 10pm on the Thursday evening before Black Friday. This is literally the busiest two hour stretch of time for everything - deals, comments, reports - on the site in the whole year. Point being, we're sorry if you didn't get given a full explanation at the time, but this may have been why.

then how come for this deal

hotukdeals.com/dea…980

the price difference was only about £1 so why did this warrant a whole new thread and not updating the previous one?
adamspencer9517/12/2019 09:43

then how come for this …then how come for this dealhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-5-2600-processor-with-wraith-stealth-cooler-10697-at-laptops-direct-3341980the price difference was only about £1 so why did this warrant a whole new thread and not updating the previous one?

I would say that this is a grey area, but probably a few factors came into play:

- The price difference is closer to 1%, rather than 0.06%
- This was user posted, so whether or not it warrants a new thread (ie, the two threads already existed), so we deal with it from that point
- If the second deal had started gaining heat, we might not have wanted to mess about with that by merging, and skewing the vote (ie, by merging, it adds the votes together; by updating the original post, people would have been voting at the old price, and can't vote again)

As I say, this is a close call, made using common sense and good intentions - again, in Black Friday week. It could easily have been updated instead, if the user had decided to do so, or if a different mod had assessed it.
adamspencer9517/12/2019 06:35

"...we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best …"...we now remove deals that are posted and are not the 'best price.."unless posted by a mod/PEP member of course.

Hey, if you see any like that can you report with a link to a genuine merchant who is selling it cheaper and if correct we will remove
Can’t fault the ANKER Products, Bargain when they drop in price and definitely getting your money’s worth. Still using the original soundcore 10w battery usually lasts nearly 30hours from a single charge.
looking to change to the 20w speaker when it drops in price again.

Wireless charging pads are pretty decent too! Get a fast charging plug for it and sorted.
andywedge17/12/2019 16:06

Hey, if you see any like that can you report with a link to a genuine …Hey, if you see any like that can you report with a link to a genuine merchant who is selling it cheaper and if correct we will remove

just reported half a dozen threads, got the standard 'we've dealt with it' and the reality is nothing changed

all still active
adamspencer9520/12/2019 07:43

just reported half a dozen threads, got the standard 'we've dealt with it' …just reported half a dozen threads, got the standard 'we've dealt with it' and the reality is nothing changedall still active

I get that response frequently too.

I know the auto-population-response-form-drop-down-gizmo-doodah-widget the Forum team use was broken for a while, then had a fix, but it didn't work, & the system is still broken, but it gets to a point where not "reporting" threads because of the default response received is just easier on your sanity.

I have also lost count of the number of times I have to explain what is in the "Publication Rules" & "FAQ" & how what a Moderator has done does not match the documented policy when a thread has been "dealt with".
fanpages20/12/2019 08:02

I get that response frequently too.I know the …I get that response frequently too.I know the auto-population-response-form-drop-down-gizmo-doodah-widget the Forum team use was broken for a while, then had a fix, but it didn't work, & the system is still broken, but it gets to a point where not "reporting" threads because of the default response received is just easier on your sanity.I have also lost count of the number of times I have to explain what is in the "Publication Rules" & "FAQ" & how what a Moderator has done does not match the documented policy when a thread has been "dealt with".

Does the broken doodah prohibit them from manually writing a quick PM, either instead of, or in addition to, the broken auto-response?
Edited by: "deeky" 20th Dec 2019
fanpages20/12/2019 08:02

I get that response frequently too.I know the …I get that response frequently too.I know the auto-population-response-form-drop-down-gizmo-doodah-widget the Forum team use was broken for a while, then had a fix, but it didn't work, & the system is still broken, but it gets to a point where not "reporting" threads because of the default response received is just easier on your sanity.I have also lost count of the number of times I have to explain what is in the "Publication Rules" & "FAQ" & how what a Moderator has done does not match the documented policy when a thread has been "dealt with".

I'm starting to end up quoting the site rules to them and I feel like a childish pedant, but ultimately if there are rules they should be consistent.

With reference to the example this morning, a good 80% of the reported "deals" for removal are PEP members so I think there is the answer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions