Any Point in HUKD anymore?

Found 10th Aug
What's the point?
Majority of crappy deals are getting voted 200°+, with the better ones going over 500°.
Is this site going to become a waste of time because we won't be able to find a genuine deal?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I'll be honest, I don't even look at the Heat scores.
I only look at the product and the price. Then make my own mind up.
I wouldn't worry about it.
i came here to ask similar but don't have "ask priveliges" i don't think (still new / learning).

please can anyone tell me - today there is a computer mouse 2nd on the top list, 1471 hot, if you look at the picture there is only 2 on the shelf - you would imagine the poster bought one (??).

so there is 1 mouse (singular unit), in the whole of the country PROBABLY at that "deal price" - voted hot 1471 times - wtf ?

is it a private joke that is going over my head for the HUKD community ? i don't understand.

(why not post "deals" of "pound coin found in x park by the icream van" for the use the "deal is worth" etc etc ?)
rogparki8 m ago

I feel most of the problem is with "gaming " non deals which always go way …I feel most of the problem is with "gaming " non deals which always go way hot , often for being the same deal from different providers or maybe 1p cheaper than previously posted . I can only presume it is because "gamers" just vote any gaming deal "Hot" just to encourage the posting of puerile gaming non deals? In the hope a decent one will occur ? Whereas normal "deals" would be "iced" very quickly .Having said that this site would be even more bare of "deals" if the "1p cheaper " gaming deals were disallowed under the same site rules as other deals , so I can see why they are allowed Never mind though ,the Flamedeer are back , apparently , which will increase the sites traffic and some members will forget about how few real deals are being shared on HUKD these days compared to a few years back

You really should get over your obsession with dismissing the enjoyment that others receive from video & computer games.

Those "Deals" bring in revenue to the site & allow you to moan to anybody that will listen.

You really should be thankful.
well from your post you could look at the ones that go over 500?
sorry if that sounds tricky...
33 Comments
I'll be honest, I don't even look at the Heat scores.
I only look at the product and the price. Then make my own mind up.
I wouldn't worry about it.
well from your post you could look at the ones that go over 500?
sorry if that sounds tricky...
I feel most of the problem is with "gaming " non deals which always go way hot , often for being the same deal from different providers or maybe 1p cheaper than previously posted .

I can only presume it is because "gamers" just vote any gaming deal "Hot" just to encourage the posting of puerile gaming non deals? In the hope a decent one will occur ? Whereas normal "deals" would be "iced" very quickly .

Having said that this site would be even more bare of "deals" if the "1p cheaper " gaming deals were disallowed under the same site rules as other deals , so I can see why they are allowed

Never mind though ,the Flamedeer are back , apparently , which will increase the sites traffic and some members will forget about how few real deals are being shared on HUKD these days compared to a few years back
rogparki8 m ago

I feel most of the problem is with "gaming " non deals which always go way …I feel most of the problem is with "gaming " non deals which always go way hot , often for being the same deal from different providers or maybe 1p cheaper than previously posted . I can only presume it is because "gamers" just vote any gaming deal "Hot" just to encourage the posting of puerile gaming non deals? In the hope a decent one will occur ? Whereas normal "deals" would be "iced" very quickly .Having said that this site would be even more bare of "deals" if the "1p cheaper " gaming deals were disallowed under the same site rules as other deals , so I can see why they are allowed Never mind though ,the Flamedeer are back , apparently , which will increase the sites traffic and some members will forget about how few real deals are being shared on HUKD these days compared to a few years back

You really should get over your obsession with dismissing the enjoyment that others receive from video & computer games.

Those "Deals" bring in revenue to the site & allow you to moan to anybody that will listen.

You really should be thankful.
i came here to ask similar but don't have "ask priveliges" i don't think (still new / learning).

please can anyone tell me - today there is a computer mouse 2nd on the top list, 1471 hot, if you look at the picture there is only 2 on the shelf - you would imagine the poster bought one (??).

so there is 1 mouse (singular unit), in the whole of the country PROBABLY at that "deal price" - voted hot 1471 times - wtf ?

is it a private joke that is going over my head for the HUKD community ? i don't understand.

(why not post "deals" of "pound coin found in x park by the icream van" for the use the "deal is worth" etc etc ?)
fanpages11 m ago

You really should get over your obsession with dismissing the enjoyment …You really should get over your obsession with dismissing the enjoyment that others receive from video & computer games.Those "Deals" bring in revenue to the site & allow you to moan to anybody that will listen.You really should be thankful.

Fair enough , they obviously bring in income and keep the site going . But should they not be subject to the same conditions as other deals ? ie a certain percentage cheaper , not posted in the last month etc etc ?
I'm not a gamer but can't help but notice the same "title " being posted 20 or 30 times a week for more or less the same price going unfeasibly "hot" every time - does make the Site's name (HUKD) rather a misnomer
rogparki5 m ago

Fair enough , they obviously bring in income and keep the site going . But …Fair enough , they obviously bring in income and keep the site going . But should they not be subject to the same conditions as other deals ? ie a certain percentage cheaper , not posted in the last month etc etc ? I'm not a gamer but can't help but notice the same "title " being posted 20 or 30 times a week for more or less the same price going unfeasibly "hot" every time - does make the Site's name (HUKD) rather a misnomer

Just follow the same principle as every other (so-called) "Deal"; if there is a duplication of product/merchant/price (within £1.00 either way) within the last 30 days, then "report" it (or flag as a duplicate).

PS. Do you have any current examples?
Edited by: "fanpages" 10th Aug
i think it corresponds to the websites current demographic - like i say i am new so must have missed out.

the graphics cards are annoying me personally - £400 for a graphics card isn't a deal, even if it is a deal...

pretty sure it will be because it got "monetised" / "took off" but that's what happens to everything that has a possibility of generating revenue... on "the good old days".
fanpages5 m ago

Just follow the same principle as every other (so-called) "Deal"; if there …Just follow the same principle as every other (so-called) "Deal"; if there is a duplication of product/merchant/price (within £1.00 either way) within the last 30 days, then "report" it (or flag as a duplicate).PS. Do you have any current examples?

COD is posted about 20 times a week - for the last year - I'm no expert , but it beggars belief that it could always be £1 cheaper than previously posted - that many times
fanpages8 m ago

PS. Do you have any current examples?

i know what he's talking about - (from memory - GTA V, Batman, Shadow of (war / mordor) PUBG...) - GTA V is a good one for reference.
Edited by: "Ban_Anas" 10th Aug
Set up key word notifications and then move on.
Heat threads don't really catch my attention unless they are for products I actually want.
Maybe if they had a separate section for reduced yellow label sticker deals, call it "local deal's" or something?
rogparki4 m ago

COD is posted about 20 times a week - for the last year - I'm no expert , …COD is posted about 20 times a week - for the last year - I'm no expert , but it beggars belief that it could always be £1 cheaper than previously posted - that many times

Ban_Anas3 m ago

i know what he's talking about - (from memory - GTA V, Batman, Shadow of …i know what he's talking about - (from memory - GTA V, Batman, Shadow of (war / mordor), fortnight, PUBG...) - GTA V is a good one for reference.

I cannot see any duplicates (that are not marked as 'Expired'):

[ hotukdeals.com/tag…uty ]

"Call of Duty (insert year here)" & "FIFA (ditto)" listings will get more frequent as we head towards September/October/November..
Bring back FS/FT
pretty sure he is talking about frequency of posting - not duplicated listings.

- but thank you for pointing out, that the ridiculously frequent gaming "deals" are rubbishing the website with aload of grey "expired" everywhere... (re: thread title).
fanpages7 m ago

I cannot see any duplicates (that are not marked as 'Expired'):[ …I cannot see any duplicates (that are not marked as 'Expired'):[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/call-of-duty ]"Call of Duty (insert year here)" & "FIFA (ditto)" listings will get more frequent as we head towards September/October/November..

Maybe the "Gaming community" on here should "self police " the deals posted - and not automatically vote any game deal hot ? Surely the credibility of gaming deals would be enhanced if only good deals were voted "Hot" ?

COD and FIFA cannot possibly be superhot deals 50 times a week - but sadly at the moment that's what seems to be
Ban_Anas24 m ago

pretty sure he is talking about frequency of posting - not duplicated …pretty sure he is talking about frequency of posting - not duplicated listings...

I suggest you re-read the comments..

Ban_Anas24 m ago

...but thank you for pointing out, that the ridiculously frequent gaming …...but thank you for pointing out, that the ridiculously frequent gaming "deals" are rubbishing the website with aload of grey "expired" everywhere... (re: thread title).

Use the option to ignore the "Expired" threads & you'll not see them:

34686499-LCTyW.jpg

You're welcome.
rogparki22 m ago

Maybe the "Gaming community" on here should "self police " the deals …Maybe the "Gaming community" on here should "self police " the deals posted - and not automatically vote any game deal hot ? Surely the credibility of gaming deals would be enhanced if only good deals were voted "Hot" ?COD and FIFA cannot possibly be superhot deals 50 times a week - but sadly at the moment that's what seems to be

I think you may concur that "Deals" posted by representatives of the site (suspiciously) get hot(ter) than the rest.
fanpages10th Aug

I think you may concur that "Deals" posted by representatives of the site …I think you may concur that "Deals" posted by representatives of the site (suspiciously) get hot(ter) than the rest.

We can agree on that - but that is maybe because of "sheep voting " - Its posted by a MOD , so I'll vote it hot .

Daft as it may seem - I buy stuff - not on the heat (or lack of it ) but on the comments made on the post . And whether they appear genuine and helpful to me . For instance I immediately ignore " great item I have bought hundreds of items from "insert Chinese store" never paid import duty ,never paid any import taxes etc etc (I know an incentivised review when I see one -don't we all ?)

Like "Trip advisor " you wade through the comments on here and you get the general idea . But going back to the gaming "non deals" , a 500 + hot deal rarely has any comment other than "nice find OP" , often all that heat with no comments at all .

Not going to start the old discussion that a comment should be left before a vote (hot or cold ) can be left as its my bedtime (6am start ) but you can guess where my preference lies -Night All
fanpages45 m ago

I think you may concur that "Deals" posted by representatives of the site …I think you may concur that "Deals" posted by representatives of the site (suspiciously) get hot(ter) than the rest.

How dare you!! I am outraged that could never happen
Just do what I do and vote everything cold.
The point at which you find there are no genuine deals anymore has probably come down to the fact that you have purchased everything you need, or want (within reason)

I felt HUKD was going down the pan a while back with useless deals, only to come to the conclusion that I didn't actually pine for anything at that time.
I've been a member here for enough years to see trends, however gaming deals aren't a trend and have always generated more heat than most, in fact you could even expand that to anything "IT" related. For example a big trend a couple of years ago was SSD hard drives. These were posted pretty much daily at very similar prices, which is similar to how the gaming deals mentioned tend to work.
Yet if you post a deal for something like a pressure washer or electric shower with 50% off, it'll probably generate less heat than the game that is now 3p cheaper. (Assassins Creed Unity digital on XBOX One, I'm looking at you).

But I think it is all down to what is "popular". For example, if you post a pair of Adidas NMD or Converse trainers that are 30% cheaper than RRP, they'll probably get a good amount of heat. However if you post a pair of Asics running trainers or Reebok crossfit trainers with 50% off (therefore technically a better deal) they'll usually generate less heat. Why? Because people want NMD Adidas or Converse more than Asics & Reebok.

In my opinion.
I think the problem with voting at the moment is that the flamedeer competition is on and so people who don’t normally vote are voting hot in the hope it brings them a flamedeer pop up, without realising that voting makes no difference to whether a flamedeer will pop up or not. It will all calm down again after the 17th August
extraordinary deals aren't around any more, but that may be because bargain stuff just aren't available these days as things become more and more expensive. i have noticed in particular high tec stuff have become more expensive over the last few years.

i still think this site is brilliant and i visit this site every day and several times a day to look at the deals even though i am just window shopping most of the time. there are still great stuff come up now and then, thanks to all the helpful members on here.

certainly the ask section is very helpful to me as i get answers from helpful members who want to help and who are happy to share their experience and opinions.

i use the heat as guide only and i read through all the comments in the post as that often gives a lot more detail of whether something is worth the heat or not, or what else you should know about the deal. the heat itself will not however determine whether i buy the item, it only serves to flag up the item to me as a potential interest. i would do my own investigation outside of the site to evaluate whether the flagged up price is really a bargain or not.
Ban_Anas15 h, 43 m ago

i came here to ask similar but don't have "ask priveliges" i don't think …i came here to ask similar but don't have "ask priveliges" i don't think (still new / learning). please can anyone tell me - today there is a computer mouse 2nd on the top list, 1471 hot, if you look at the picture there is only 2 on the shelf - you would imagine the poster bought one (??).so there is 1 mouse (singular unit), in the whole of the country PROBABLY at that "deal price" - voted hot 1471 times - wtf ?is it a private joke that is going over my head for the HUKD community ? i don't understand.(why not post "deals" of "pound coin found in x park by the icream van" for the use the "deal is worth" etc etc ?)

yesterday the hottest deal of the day was some apples which nobody but the op managed to buy as they bought the only ones! Site seems to be infested with lemmings voting hot regardless of whether the deal even exists.

Most deals are terrible these days (when I can be bothered to look).
dealowl20142 h, 9 m ago

I think the problem with voting at the moment is that the flamedeer …I think the problem with voting at the moment is that the flamedeer competition is on and so people who don’t normally vote are voting hot in the hope it brings them a flamedeer pop up, without realising that voting makes no difference to whether a flamedeer will pop up or not. It will all calm down again after the 17th August

Also to win the bigger prizes now you have to have voted at least 500 times so people myself included are now voting on deals I would not normally vote on
So when the Xmas flame deer competition starts I am eligible to participate completely instead of just for 2 vouchers and a holiday competition
Browse new, don't up vote stuff you buy. Never judge heat.
mogsog19 m ago

Browse new, don't up vote stuff you buy. Never judge heat.

In my case: Browse "Discussed"... don't vote at all... never look at heat.
fanpages2 m ago

In my case: Browse "Discussed"... don't vote at all... never look at heat.

Yes, and offer gems of wisdom because nobody listens to you in RL
mogsog12 m ago

Yes, and offer gems of wisdom because nobody listens to you in RL

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
~Socrates
fanpages1 h, 53 m ago

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"~Socrates

Very well said
I wouldn't pay much attention to heat. I make up my mind on each deal by myself. I don't need to see how much heat it has generated to know. I did my own research and read the comments to see if the deal is worth voting upon or not. I like the fact that you can ask peoples opinion on things and they will give u a somewhat accurate answer. Unlike reviews on Amazon or other website, which have just become stupid and unreliable. The discussion aspect is also very valuable as you can ask for help in many things and yoy recieve answers worth your while. Don't let the silly deals put you off, there are some real gems in between plus the occasional glitch which will keep you coming back for more.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions