Any Precautions To Take On Ebay/Paypal Before Selling Expensive Pair Of Shoes?

Edited by:"xoisthemotive"Found 7th Dec 2017
I hear a lot of horror stories regarding Ebay and people selling stuff only for the buyer to paypal dispute it and it gets messy. My first time selling on Ebay/Paypal., any help?

Whats to say the person who buys the shoes wont just swap them with a fake/damaged pair and then paypal dispute?

Furthermore can anyone suggest any cheap shipping companies?

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

Vast majority of people on ebay are decent and honest!

There are just a few scammers and time waster but that is the same in life in general.

Just list your item honestly - describing any defects/flaws. Use plenty of photos to show all aspects of the item - particularly anything that is not 100%. State any conditions of sale - e.g. no returns, method of payment etc.

I've never had a bad buyer - but have had a few poor sellers.

I usually use myhermes on a tracked/signed for basis.

Give your buyer the service you would expect yourself - package the goods well, dispatch promptly and communicate timely.

Worst case scenario is the buyer reports them as fake, eBay/Paypal side with them and issue full refund and the buyer keeps/disposes of the shoes.

If you expect them to sell for more than £100 I'd opt for Gumtree/Facebook, eBay just isn't worth it for high value items that are easily disputed by buyers.

If you have Facebook, an option would be to put on your own page, so a friend may buy them (or a friend of a friend..?)

Original Poster

andynicol5 m ago

Worst case scenario is the buyer reports them as fake, eBay/Paypal side …Worst case scenario is the buyer reports them as fake, eBay/Paypal side with them and issue full refund and the buyer keeps/disposes of the shoes.

Yup this is what scares me. There's no way to protect against this?

Most people are honest. Have sold shoes over 4 figures on the bay and grailed frequently and only had one problem.

If sending in the UK send by special delivery and if valuable take pictures of item packaged up. Always use a tracked service and make sure are insured to the value of the shoes/trainers.

What are the shoes?

Sell on gumtree or sphock
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 7th Dec 2017

xoisthemotive18 m ago

Yup this is what scares me. There's no way to protect against this?

As others have said, add photos from all angles and be truthful in your description, highlighting any faults/blemishes.

Problem you may find is that if they are expensive, then buyers may find you suspicious with no feedback history...

Possibly sell a couple of cheap items that should sell for relatively low prices so you can build up both feedback and knowledge of the selling processs....?

CD's computer games etc....

Note in your listing they have been invisibly marked for identification. Could put off some people. There is nothing stopping you actually marking them in some way with a UV pen. Then if there is a dispute of any kind just ask them to return. I sell a lot on eBay and not had any issues so far.

sicklysweet54 m ago

Sell on gumtree or sphock

found both of these full of a different type of chancer
they agree a price and then turn up and rt and haggle you down
make sure you check any cash you recive

andynicol2 h, 31 m ago

As others have said, add photos from all angles and be truthful in your …As others have said, add photos from all angles and be truthful in your description, highlighting any faults/blemishes.Problem you may find is that if they are expensive, then buyers may find you suspicious with no feedback history...Possibly sell a couple of cheap items that should sell for relatively low prices so you can build up both feedback and knowledge of the selling processs....?CD's computer games etc....

should be fine on feedback if an active buyer though

I dunno how good it is, having never needed it, but there's seller protection on PayPal. If it's a waste of time maybe someone will say.

Also if you have receipts proving the provenance of the shoes take photos of them in case you need to provide these to eBay.
Edited by: "bryanhaines399" 7th Dec 2017

would read the guide on MSE, but in short:

As others have said, have a clear listing, lots of pics and show any defects.

Accept returns - this will stop the chancers who will damage them just so they can get a return if they don't fit.

Use a reputable service to send them and one which insures you should the item go missing. Don't come back moaning about being underinsured when your shoes are lost. The item needs to have an online tracking system which will show proof of delivery.

Know what the potential downfalls are - you seem to realise there are chancers and accepting returns is a sure way to reduce the chance of a SNAD claim. You need to be aware that eBay give the buyer 30 days to file a claim but Paypal give them 180 days - six months! If you don't want to be 'open' to abuse for that amount of time then eBay may not be the best place to sell them.

Set your eBay preferences to allow bidders only from the UK and tick the box which means they must have a credit card on file.
Edited by: "windym" 8th Dec 2017

Original Poster

windym2 h, 57 m ago

would read the guide on MSE, but in short:As others have said, have a …would read the guide on MSE, but in short:As others have said, have a clear listing, lots of pics and show any defects.Accept returns - this will stop the chancers who will damage them just so they can get a return if they don't fit.Use a reputable service to send them and one which insures you should the item go missing. Don't come back moaning about being underinsured when your shoes are lost. The item needs to have an online tracking system which will show proof of delivery.Know what the potential downfalls are - you seem to realise there are chancers and accepting returns is a sure way to reduce the chance of a SNAD claim. You need to be aware that eBay give the buyer 30 days to file a claim but Paypal give them 180 days - six months! If you don't want to be 'open' to abuse for that amount of time then eBay may not be the best place to sell them.Set your eBay preferences to allow bidders only from the UK and tick the box which means they must have a credit card on file.

Thank you for that guide, i'll have a read through it.

Thanks for all the help too everyone, I may just try to sell to someone I know in person seems a lot less hassle

Van197317 h, 9 m ago

Vast majority of people on ebay are decent and honest!There are just a few …Vast majority of people on ebay are decent and honest!There are just a few scammers and time waster but that is the same in life in general.Just list your item honestly - describing any defects/flaws. Use plenty of photos to show all aspects of the item - particularly anything that is not 100%. State any conditions of sale - e.g. no returns, method of payment etc. I've never had a bad buyer - but have had a few poor sellers.I usually use myhermes on a tracked/signed for basis.Give your buyer the service you would expect yourself - package the goods well, dispatch promptly and communicate timely.

Do not use Hermes or Yodel.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants