Groups

Any printers that readily accept recycled ink cartridges

I have just returned a HP Envy 5646 printer because it won't take recycled cartridges, I have tried endlessly to try the various fixes suggested by HP and within the forum but it wouldn't work. So I'm looking for a printer around £70 that will Copy/scan/Fax and has duplex facility. Can anyone suggest anything

32 Comments

epson

kareandy

epson

​Nope! The new Epson range keeps updating its firmware to detect non original cartridges, I know as I have one,

westy125

​Nope! The new Epson range keeps updating its firmware to detect non o … ​Nope! The new Epson range keeps updating its firmware to detect non original cartridges, I know as I have one,

Do Epson expire their inks and stop consumers from using the printer/scanner until the ink is replaced, like on HP?

No.
    You won't find a printer that "readily" accepts anything but official ink cartridges.

Sorry!

Erubadhron

No.You won't find a printer that "readily" accepts anything but official … No.You won't find a printer that "readily" accepts anything but official ink cartridges.Sorry!

My canon MG5650 gives me no grief at all when I install compatible inks.

Paddy_o_furniture

My canon MG5650 gives me no grief at all when I install compatible inks.

I don't doubt what you say, but that isn't what the OP asked...
    Printer ink is the only reason that the manufacturers keep producing printers, so they would be committing business suicide to ever say "Our products will take anything!"

Erubadhron

I don't doubt what you say, but that isn't what the OP asked...Printer … I don't doubt what you say, but that isn't what the OP asked...Printer ink is the only reason that the manufacturers keep producing printers, so they would be committing business suicide to ever say "Our products will take anything!"

I don't disagree with that. The reason I bought the Canon was because of the price of compatible inks. The printer makes no fuss at all when printing with compatibles, neither the printer or the canon interface on the laptop give me any grief about having non canon cartridges in.
    But I would disagree with the fact you claim no printer will readily accept 3rd party cartridges.

You're more than entitled to disagree, but it's a fact that printer manufacturers only make real money through ink costs... Hence they will never readily/officially accept unlicensed cartridges

Original Poster

To be honest, I have mostly only ever owned HP printers and they have always readily accepted recycled/remanufactured cartridges. I read on the HP forum about the HP Timebomb. Something like when you downloaded your updates it would trigger the software not to accept recycled/remanufactured cartridges. So this time it's been sent back as legally I have been told they aren't allowed to do that. So it is now relying on what you guys say and suggest before I go out again

Legally they are more than welcome to design their unit to not allow the use of potentially dangerous consumables

I have a Canon PIXMA MG7550 Multifunction Colour Inkjet Printer and was just about to order Ebay item no 141842617194 which is compatible ink but reading this makes me think twice. Anyone else got a simular printer?

Erubadhron

You're more than entitled to disagree, but it's a fact that printer … You're more than entitled to disagree, but it's a fact that printer manufacturers only make real money through ink costs... Hence they will never readily/officially accept unlicensed cartridges

surely there is a difference between 'readily' and 'officially accept' ? my brother printer will readily accept a non-brother cartridge but it isn't officially accepted..

0901salmoc

I have a Canon PIXMA MG7550 Multifunction Colour Inkjet Printer and was … I have a Canon PIXMA MG7550 Multifunction Colour Inkjet Printer and was just about to order Ebay item no 141842617194 which is compatible ink but reading this makes me think twice. Anyone else got a simular printer?

Same inks as my printer takes, never had a problem.

My Epsons have taken recycled ink - so far.

No recent firmware or software updates on the main one, but the new set of recycled carts sat next to me is making me nervous.

My epson printer takes recycled ink, but it don't half moan about it.

pothole

Do Epson expire their inks and stop consumers from using the … Do Epson expire their inks and stop consumers from using the printer/scanner until the ink is replaced, like on HP?

​I've found it to be a nightmare, luckily I don't pay for the cartridges or it would have been thrown in the bin, on mine when the cartridge says empty it will not force print, I used to run my cannon ones till I got lines on the paper, with this you take out the cartridge and you can shake it and feel ink splashing around! So it ain't empty, it's an xp 235, avoid this new xp range. Never tried to fill them but I haven't found a compatible one yet that works
    Edited by: "westy125" 22nd Jan

I had a epson workforce which decided to die on me just after stocking up on inks, I wanted a similar printer so I wasn't wasting the inks and got another from the same range, I used the ones you need to to set it up and when I needed to change them I put the compatible ink in which it detected, asked did I want to continue so I pressed ok and it just kept doing that over and over again, I had to put original ones in!

No problem with my Epson accepting recycled ink. It does detect but I only need to Click once to continue they work

Do you need the WiFi function? As it seems like manufacturers are "updating" their printers to disallow non-original inks, if you never connected your printer to the internet then surely it wouldn't have the opportunity to do that.

I use a chip resetter which fools the printer into believing that you have replaced the cartridge (it can take several resets for it to work).

Original Poster

landros1

I use a chip resetter which fools the printer into believing that you … I use a chip resetter which fools the printer into believing that you have replaced the cartridge (it can take several resets for it to work).

I like that idea!!! What printer do you use it with? and where did you get the resetter from

Original Poster

Muir

Do you need the WiFi function? As it seems like manufacturers are … Do you need the WiFi function? As it seems like manufacturers are "updating" their printers to disallow non-original inks, if you never connected your printer to the internet then surely it wouldn't have the opportunity to do that.

Apparently it was embedded into the software and time bombed to activate after the first cartidge change

nighthawk@madasa

I like that idea!!! What printer do you use it with? and where did you … I like that idea!!! What printer do you use it with? and where did you get the resetter from

I use an Epson Stylus SX438W & the resetter is a YXD768 chip resetter.

the chips and stuff I think work better on older printers can't u find a old printer which will be easier than a newer one and don't update it if it has a option not to update software.

Canon PIXMA MX925 All-in-One Colour Printer (apparently u can fill this with ink in a tank but again no idea if u can use unofficial ink if u can then that would be very good as I think home bargains do the refill ink for about 2 3 quid for 4 bottles)

Epson XP-422 is good for me, compatibles from ebay around a fiver a pack. Scanner, printer, wifi and one of the smallest printers on the market. Probably best pick one up from ebay.

westy125

​Nope! The new Epson range keeps updating its firmware to detect non o … ​Nope! The new Epson range keeps updating its firmware to detect non original cartridges, I know as I have one,

blocked mine in the firewall,gives me a moan but accepts them Epson xp-325

Original Poster

Some interesting comments here. I have noticed that most are talking about Canon or Epson. HP owners haven't really commented. But it's all food for thought.

Original Poster

muddassarsardar

the chips and stuff I think work better on older printers can't u find a … the chips and stuff I think work better on older printers can't u find a old printer which will be easier than a newer one and don't update it if it has a option not to update software.

That's not quite as easy as it sounds. Hp have really messed this up, maybe that is why there are so few HP responses here

Original Poster

Muir

Do you need the WiFi function? As it seems like manufacturers are … Do you need the WiFi function? As it seems like manufacturers are "updating" their printers to disallow non-original inks, if you never connected your printer to the internet then surely it wouldn't have the opportunity to do that.

Because I wasn't aware of the Time Bomb thing it never occurred to me. I understand looking at different Forums that it is to be standard in modern printers not to accept alternate cartridges. How will some of these companies like Cartridge People survive

Recently bought Epson 7610 since my canon mx925 died after the black ink ended and after pressing ok to continue didn't change the ink . My kids next day printed a lot and I figured our later the printer head was damaged. The ink cools the printer but without it was burned out. This is the reason the printer asks you to replace it before is completely empty.
    The epson one now is working with a ciss continues ink system which I bought for 39 pounds including 400ml inks. It has a reset catridge button which can full the printer to think you changed the inks. There is a selection to printer software in which I have chosen not to update the firmware. Job done.....

30 pounds not 39.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iptv814
      2. How to cancel Virgin Media?812
      3. Mountain bike £200-£30033
      4. Music download22

See more discussions