Any rare game collectors out there? Need help, we think we have a rare game, can't find info anywhere!

Hi
My fella has a good eye for rare games and we recently picked up a game - PS1 Formula 1 97 Limited Edition.
He noticed the game because it had a cardboard sleeve, which is unusal, and also when you open the sleeve it makes a 'vroom vroom' noise, the kind you get in novelty birthday cards. The noise is tempermental and fuzzy, but tbh i think it just needs the batteries replacing (if this is possible).

Now after some serious google hunting i managed to find a French site with pictures of the exact same game, and another French forum. I used Google translator on the forum and also the site, and they both mention that these games were never actually sold commercially, but were given away at a Formula 1 competition. This may well be true as there isn't any barcode on the back of the cardboard sleeve, but there is on the actual game itself. I'll paste the translation below:

"This special edition Formula January 1997 was never sold commercially, but it was possible to obtain by competition. One, organized by a British retail chain, was a contest that took place on a driving simulator, the other via the Playstation Magazine English. In the game of the seven differences, what are those between the limited edition and the "core"? First, over-packaging (With a sash) is present in addition to the collector version, and when opened you can hear the sound of an F1 engine through a small speaker hidden .

On the cover, we can see in the foreground, a Jordan F1 and his dummy. In the background, the characteristic nose of Jordan this time on which sat a snake. Finally, it is clear that this is a "Limited Edition". Inside the flap, we can see Giancarlo Fisichella and Ralf Schummacher and the British TV commentators Murray Walker and Martin Brundle. The back of the box is very traditional, if not the view on the model and the fireball. The game is not customized for cons, it is similar to the commercial version. This version is in any case very rare, unknown number of copies, but for any fan of Formula 1 97, it nevertheless remains an essential purchase."

Can anyone help us determine if or how rare this game is and most of all, obviously, if the game is worth anything? I'll paste the French website below with the pics and it is the exact same game and similar condition to the one we own. Oh, and can anyone confirm if the blonde on the front cover is Melinda Messenger? :wink:
vg-museum.com/lim…on/
Many Thanks in advance

12 Comments

Don't think it be worth anything,the sports games that were last season and so on,noone really wants,but hey I might be wrong. Check eBay I guess.

Original Poster

Mum2ConnornCerys

Don't think it be worth anything,the sports games that were last season … Don't think it be worth anything,the sports games that were last season and so on,noone really wants,but hey I might be wrong. Check eBay I guess.

nothing on ebay, nothing on google, only the french sites

It seems unusual but going be hard to find a buyer who will want it,yeh I looked on eBay none,maybe try your luck on there with a buy it now price for £20 or something.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

http://www.defconsoft.co.uk/special-editions/limited-editions/formula-1-97-limited-edition/

Hmm, but it doen't say if its rare, or worth anything....

It's probably a press kit if its not got a barcode - sent out to magazines and reviewers - might be worth a lot, might not be.

If you wish to target a fan (well, any of the 17 subscribers) try this Facebook group page:

[ facebook.com/pag…651 ]

Does your CD-ROM have "Limited Edition" printed on it? Or "Promotional Copy" (or similar)?

...and yes, Melinda Messenger promoted the game for Sony in 1997.

BFN,

fp.

whatsThePoint

see if you can find a different rare PS1 game and see what thats worth, … see if you can find a different rare PS1 game and see what thats worth, if you can't find any you know this isn't worth much

Any 'rare' item is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

You may find a video game collector thinks it is worth 50p, but a Formula 1 fan would be prepared to pay ten times as much (because of the dispute with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile [FIA] over the use of their logo without permission).

Fans of Melinda Messenger may also be interested.

You may even find an ex-employee of Psygnosis (now Sony Computer Entertainment [SCE] Studio Liverpool) who worked on the title, does not have a copy of it & would be prepared to pay considerably more than a typical interested party.

Then again, you may find no takers at all in the week you offer it for sale... offer it for sale in a month & you will be overwhelmed with interest.

BFN,

fp.

I imagine the two groups of people who would be most interested would be:
Die hard collectors who are seeking to buy every PS1 game made (or something like that)
F1 fans who particularly liked F1 97

Hell, If I were a F1 fan I'd buy it! It's such a cool item! "Vroom vroom" noise when you open the case... awesome!

Original Poster

fanpages

Does your CD-ROM have "Limited Edition" printed on it? Or "Promotional … Does your CD-ROM have "Limited Edition" printed on it? Or "Promotional Copy" (or similar)?

Yes it does say 'Limited Edition' on the disc, just the same as on the picture.

Everyone else - thanks for you help

Try contacting the person from the defconsoft website that was mentioned. With him owning the game in question, maybe he'd be more knowledgable.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game73944507
    2. What would be HELL to you?2530
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767337
    4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.55

See more discussions