Groups

any reason?

Banned
    why they put 2 jokers in a pack of cards? you dont even need them so whats there use?

16 Comments

they are used for some games, we used to use them as they were 'wild'

Banned

DG, are you ok?

I know you have had a hard time of it recently, join the club.

Hope you are ok :thumbsup:

I thought they were to put on the top and bottom of the pack to protect the cards from getting tatty :?

steevieboy4u;4185927

I thought they were to put on the top and bottom of the pack to protect … I thought they were to put on the top and bottom of the pack to protect the cards from getting tatty :?

:lol: is that not what the box is for

lol - I thought they were to replace a card if you loose one, just write on the joker what it is.

Oh & you can't play canasta without them

fireheaven;4185945

:lol: is that not what the box is for

The box keeps all the cards together, sliding the cards in and out of the box is bound to damage the outer cards, therefore use the jokers to prevent this ;-)

Original Poster Banned

steevieboy4u;4185927

I thought they were to put on the top and bottom of the pack to protect … I thought they were to put on the top and bottom of the pack to protect the cards from getting tatty :?

lol no mate i doubt it

Original Poster Banned

DLM;4185903

DG, are you ok?I know you have had a hard time of it recently, join the … DG, are you ok?I know you have had a hard time of it recently, join the club.Hope you are ok :thumbsup:

hi
    im fine thanks, how are you?

Banned

DangerGod;4186068

hi :)im fine thanks, how are you?

I'm alright, is that you in your avatar with a lady friend?

Original Poster Banned

DLM;4186101

I'm alright, is that you in your avatar with a lady friend?

indeed it is

Banned

DangerGod;4186124

indeed it is

Aw, you look good together :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

DLM;4186128

Aw, you look good together :thumbsup:

thanks

I think it is to make the game less serious because people would ask "why so serious?"

we use them for canasta?

worto03;4186033

Oh & you can't play canasta without them

My fav card game :thumbsup:

Well, according to Britannica.com, the 52-card deck that we use today is a modification of part of the standard Tarot deck, made up of the Major Arcana and Minor Arcana, minus the knight cards. Probably around the 15th century, the deck started settling into the modern form we know today.

The joker, however, did not appear until sometime around the 1860s. At that time, the game of euchre was extremely popular (it was later unseated by bridge). In euchre, under the British rules, there is a card known as the Imperial Bower (or Best Bower) that trumps all others. Decks of cards began to include a special Imperial Bower card, and it later morphed into the joker card that we know today.

The "Best Bower" was invented for use in the game of Euchre in which two of the Jacks are named Right and Left Bower; this happened during the 1860s in the USA. "Bower" is a corruption of the German word "Bauer" used in Alsace, from where Euchre or Juker originated as the ordinary word for "Jack." This card evolved into the Joker during the 1870s. The Joker arrived in Europe in the 1880s along with the game of Poker. It was gradually incorporated into French-suited packs with 52 cards.

(Sorry for the long post - it didn't take long to type, though - I just 'cut & pasted' from a search on Google:whistling:)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?31124
      2. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October36
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?34216
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764519

See more discussions