Any recommendation for broadband

Posted 23rd Nov
I am looking for new broadband, I currently have virgin but they have increased they price to ridiculously high. However, I am also in the process of moving houses but haven't got the key for the new place, so ideally if avoidable don't want to pay setup fee twice if any.

I came across plug and play broadbands - three.co.uk/Dis…ite but not sure if there worth it, we are family of 8 but most of us have unlimited 4g on phone.

However, open for suggestions if there is something better out there, currently the above deal I can get for £20 a month for 24th because I am with three for my sim contract.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Yeah i sympathise i was with Virgin for 20+ years since NTL i was even a network security engineer with them but then Virgin took over and everything went downhill from then on so went with Talktalk last year got a deal £19.95 a month for 40mb unlimited fibre with free phone calls to any number including mobiles Mon-Sun!
The talktalk hub i must say has more range with wifi than the virgin superhub and my girlfriend is now overjoyed at being able to use her laptop in bedroom II.

Been pretty rock solid so far but they have the worst customer service ever just behind virgin who are not a lot better!

Plusnet gets good vibes though!
omendata23/11/2019 21:23

Yeah i sympathise i was with Virgin for 20+ years since NTL i was even a …Yeah i sympathise i was with Virgin for 20+ years since NTL i was even a network security engineer with them but then Virgin took over and everything went downhill from then on so went with Talktalk last year got a deal £19.95 a month for 40mb unlimited fibre with free phone calls to any number including mobiles Mon-Sun!The talktalk hub i must say has more range with wifi than the virgin superhub and my girlfriend is now overjoyed at being able to use her laptop in bedroom II.Been pretty rock solid so far but they have the worst customer service ever just behind virgin who are not a lot better!Plusnet gets good vibes though!

Will take a look at them
Currently waiting for my contract to run out so I can switch to Zen.
Danze198424/11/2019 04:16

Currently waiting for my contract to run out so I can switch to Zen.

Never heard of them, are they good?
Signed a friend up to Now TV, Line Rental / broadband / Anytime calls inc mobile £18 per month, £90 TCB tracked
ellenw24/11/2019 10:08

Signed a friend up to Now TV, Line Rental / broadband / Anytime calls inc …Signed a friend up to Now TV, Line Rental / broadband / Anytime calls inc mobile £18 per month, £90 TCB tracked

Whats the broadband speed, can you send me a link please.
adamey1924/11/2019 11:21

Whats the broadband speed, can you send me a link please.

Brilliant Broadband is the one my friend got nowtv.com/bro…BwE The TCB deal is now £100 cashback
Edited by: "ellenw" 24th Nov
Any ideas on why virgin media has average download speeds of 108Mbps for the lowest package and 362Mbps for the highest package whilst other companies like NowTV only reach around 63Mbps for the highest package.

What impact does it have?
adamey1924/11/2019 11:39

Any ideas on why virgin media has average download speeds of 108Mbps for …Any ideas on why virgin media has average download speeds of 108Mbps for the lowest package and 362Mbps for the highest package whilst other companies like NowTV only reach around 63Mbps for the highest package. What impact does it have?

Virgin uses modern fibre cables to deliver their services at such high speed whereas the competitors use old BT copper cables that reduce the speeds the further you live from the telephone exchange hence the speed difference.
I'm also in the middle of a new house purchase but I now use a 4G mobile Huawei B525 router with a 4G unlimited data sim so I'll just take it with me for my broadband needs, I binned Virgin about 4 months ago and haven't regretted it because they where getting to greedy.
The future of broadband will be mobile and cables will soon become obsolete.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 24th Nov
porsche911turbo24/11/2019 11:51

Virgin uses modern fibre cables to deliver their services at such high …Virgin uses modern fibre cables to deliver their services at such high speed whereas the competitors use old BT copper cables that reduce the speeds the further you live from the telephone exchange hence the speed difference.I'm also in the middle of a new house purchase but I now use a 4G mobile Huawei B525 router with a 4G unlimited data sim so I'll just take it with me for my broadband needs, I binned Virgin about 4 months ago and haven't regretted it because they where getting to greedy.The future of broadband will be mobile and cables will soon become obsolete.

How does the 63mphs compare to 300mphs, is it considerable slower?

How's that mobile Huawei router treating you? I was also planning on that (with three Huawei AI Cube) but not sure of whether it will be slow. Have family of 7.

What package do you have?
Edited by: "adamey19" 24th Nov
would love to move away from virgin bb...unfortunately speeds of other isp's on our road are woeful...hopepully one of them will install ultrafast in my area soon!
adamey1924/11/2019 11:58

How does the 63mphs compare to 300mphs, is it considerable slower?How's …How does the 63mphs compare to 300mphs, is it considerable slower?How's that mobile Huawei router treating you? I was also planning on that (with three Huawei AI Cube) but not sure of whether it will be slow. Have family of 7.What package do you have?

You will only notice the speed difference if you're downloading massively large files such as torrents.
As for noticing any speed differences in everyday use then no if feels just as snappy as my old Virgin 50meg broadband, I can watch a 4K movie whilst the rest of the household does their usual internet stuff so I'm very happy.
I was one of the lucky people who managed to get the Three £10 unlimited everything sim about 4 months ago so I'm using that in my router.

Also the Huawei router has a better range around the house than the awful Virgin 'not so' super hub I previously had.
porsche911turbo24/11/2019 12:10

You will only notice the speed difference if you're downloading massively …You will only notice the speed difference if you're downloading massively large files such as torrents.As for noticing any speed differences in everyday use then no if feels just as snappy as my old Virgin 50meg broadband, I can watch a 4K movie whilst the rest of the household does their usual internet stuff so I'm very happy.I was one of the lucky people who managed to get the Three £10 unlimited everything sims about 4 months ago so I'm using that in my router.

Nice, didn't know your allowed to use that. I thought there ban you if you treat the sim as broadband.
adamey1924/11/2019 12:15

Nice, didn't know your allowed to use that. I thought there ban you if you …Nice, didn't know your allowed to use that. I thought there ban you if you treat the sim as broadband.

That practice of not allowing you to use your sim in broadband devices was outlawed last year or maybe the year before, under new rules you can use your data however you want in any device in this country.
porsche911turbo24/11/2019 12:18

That practice of not allowing you to use your sim in broadband devices was …That practice of not allowing you to use your sim in broadband devices was outlawed last year or maybe the year before, under new rules you can use your data however you want in any device.

If you don't mind me asking, how many devices have you connected to the 4g and have you faced any issues/slow downs
At the moment I have 10 devices connected and no problems.
I can honestly say I'm pleased with my new setup but I do live in a strong signal area so my Three sim works perfectly, I possibly wouldn't be saying the same if I lived in a highly populated inner city like London though because of network congestion.
39096434-ttvm0.jpg
porsche911turbo24/11/2019 12:31

At the moment I have 10 devices connected and no problems.I can honestly …At the moment I have 10 devices connected and no problems.I can honestly say I'm pleased with my new setup but I do live in a strong signal area so my Three sim works perfectly, I possibly wouldn't be saying the same if I lived in a highly populated inner city like London though because of network congestion.[Image]

I sadly live in London, but outer London. I have Three mobile sim and it works fine near my house. So will probably take the plunge and go with similar setup as yours because virgin is just not worth it. Do you have any smart house devices connected like security camera?, if so, do they work fine?
Another advantage with the Huawei B525 router is if you buy a non network unlocked model is you can plug your home phone into the back and use any inclusive minutes your sim contract includes for making & receiving calls so I've also cancelled my line rental as well.
The Three branded routers have this ability de-activated though.
adamey1924/11/2019 12:41

I sadly live in London, but outer London. I have Three mobile sim and it …I sadly live in London, but outer London. I have Three mobile sim and it works fine near my house. So will probably take the plunge and go with similar setup as yours because virgin is just not worth it. Do you have any smart house devices connected like security camera?, if so, do they work fine?

If you look at my screen shot device #4 is an outdoor xiaomi Yi camera and yes it now works perfectly, It was glitchy though when I was using the crappy Virgin hub.

porsche911turbo24/11/2019 12:49

If you look at my screen shot device #4 is an outdoor xiaomi Yi camera and …If you look at my screen shot device #4 is an outdoor xiaomi Yi camera and yes it now works perfectly, It was glitchy though when I was using the crappy Virgin hub.

Great thanks for the information, definitely going to go with the set-up like yours. Already called in to cancel my virgin can you check your download and upload speed for me please
Previous few weeks speed tests.
39101593-nXWa5.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions