Groups

Any recommendations for a colour laser printer?

After the recent mono deal, I'm after something with a little more colour...

Looking to balance the price of the printer with the price of the replacement toners. For instance, found a likely looking Lexmark where a replacement set of inks came in at 2-3 times the cost of the original printer!

This would be replacing an old Dell 1320CN which has got a bit long in the tooth (and started to print out black as grey?). An ethernet port is more or less essential, but not to worried about wireless (although if it has it, I'm not moaning!)

Thanks for any ideas

E.M.

12 Comments

Just been through about 1 month of research, opted for the brother dcp-9015cdw printer.

I was looking at the Lexmark but the ongoing printing costs and restrictions put in place are overwhelming regarding compatible toners.

The reason I chose this printer:

Good print speeds
    Automatic duplex printing
    All in one with scanner (no fax)
    Machine is pretty quiet too

But most importantly the ease of refilling.

Brother put only 1 silly software restriction in place for refilling toners, this can be easily circumvented manually and you can force the machine to print until empty.

They have no reset chips, no other draconian types of restrictions.

The cost of a compatible is very cheap with around 2200k prints

Theres a website called urefilltoner and they are a sound company. They also rate this model highly and the cost of refilling from them is about 1/3 of the price.

I have had only good experiences with them and am very happy with the printer.

No it doesnt do a huge resolution print by default but its just a waste of toner, it cant print to the same standard as an inkjet

But its a solid unit so far, wireless connection and easy and cheap to refill

I had a brother inkjet before that saw better days, still working and I trust the company brand.

Original Poster

Thanks for that,

I think someone linked to this in a thread for a mono printer, but I'm not really after an all-in-one, so didn't really look into it.

I'd kind of hoped for something without the all-in-one and wireless parts and hopefully around £50 off the price!

Kyballion

Just been through about 1 month of research, opted for the brother … Just been through about 1 month of research, opted for the brother dcp-9015cdw printer. I was looking at the Lexmark but the ongoing printing costs and restrictions put in place are overwhelming regarding compatible toners. The reason I chose this printer:Good print speedsAutomatic duplex printingAll in one with scanner (no fax)Machine is pretty quiet tooBut most importantly the ease of refilling. Brother put only 1 silly software restriction in place for refilling toners, this can be easily circumvented manually and you can force the machine to print until empty. They have no reset chips, no other draconian types of restrictions. The cost of a compatible is very cheap with around 2200k printsTheres a website called urefilltoner and they are a sound company. They also rate this model highly and the cost of refilling from them is about 1/3 of the price. I have had only good experiences with them and am very happy with the printer.No it doesnt do a huge resolution print by default but its just a waste of toner, it cant print to the same standard as an inkjetBut its a solid unit so far, wireless connection and easy and cheap to refillI had a brother inkjet before that saw better days, still working and I trust the company brand.

Yes. I got the same. All true.

Evilmonkey

Thanks for that,I think someone linked to this in a thread for a mono … Thanks for that,I think someone linked to this in a thread for a mono printer, but I'm not really after an all-in-one, so didn't really look into it.I'd kind of hoped for something without the all-in-one and wireless parts and hopefully around £50 off the price!

​I would highly recommend spending more on the printer.

If you are going to print alot, then invest more first.

Brother also have a cheaper colour laser without the bells and whistles and again with all the benefits of above

Its around 100

I will see if I can find anything cheaper

But its a false economy as 99% of cheaper printers have more expensive printing costs and in some cases 1 refill can cost double the printer cost

Its a seriously ridiculous market, ink costing more than the weight per gram against gold!

Lexmark are the worst of the worst for working with compatibles. Good solid printers though.

Stay away from samsung, sent 2 back and both were indicating out of toner after around 200 pages when they said it was meant to be 800

All the best

Original Poster

Kyballion

I would highly recommend spending more on the printer. If you are going … I would highly recommend spending more on the printer. If you are going to print alot, then invest more first. Brother also have a cheaper colour laser without the bells and whistles and again with all the benefits of aboveIts around 100

That's the kind of thing, I've not had a chance to look into the brother series yet, but kind of imagine that there's a slightly lower spec one out there.

Lexmark seem to be terrible with their ink prices, so am avoiding them like the plague.

Oki seem to be reasonably priced for the printer and ink

I got a Brother MFC-L8650CDW with £100 cashback which isn't too bad. Colour is a little washed out compared to a deskjet but still a good printer in all.

Evilmonkey

That's the kind of thing, I've not had a chance to look into the brother … That's the kind of thing, I've not had a chance to look into the brother series yet, but kind of imagine that there's a slightly lower spec one out there.Lexmark seem to be terrible with their ink prices, so am avoiding them like the plague.Oki seem to be reasonably priced for the printer and ink

​The reason I didnt get OKI because they were not playing nice with refills plus was quite loud when watching the reviews

Think print costs, ease of use and application

I would recommend the laser printer for people wanting to print photos, the lower end lasers wont print as nice

But if you need them for documents, books, invoices and all business related printing.

I honestly really like Brother. Japanese made and my other inkjet made by them has really had a bashing and still works well.

I just needed a business printer for documents and invoices and it would have been too costly on the inkjet

Original Poster

Looking at their website, it looks like there is a younger brother to your printer, the HL-3140CW. Looks very similar to the bottom half of yours and has similar specs. On the plus side, it's £40 cheaper.

Evilmonkey

Looking at their website, it looks like there is a younger brother to … Looking at their website, it looks like there is a younger brother to your printer, the HL-3140CW. Looks very similar to the bottom half of yours and has similar specs. On the plus side, it's £40 cheaper.

​I have this printer got it on amazon with refills, awesome printer and works on WiFi added bonus. No issues and bought it Jan 2016 haven't changed the inks yet and we use it frequently

This is the printer

HL-L8250cdn

Yes. I got the same. All true.

much love for the popular Brother choices ( when on promos ) , recent MFC-L8650CDW was lovely
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Electricity69
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…48
      3. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)59
      4. iPhone charging cable.917

See more discussions