Any recommendations for a cordless vacuum please?

Found 12th Dec 2017
Hi all,

My mum has asked for one of these for Christmas and I could use some help with which is best to go for please.

I know the dc59 is the older version. Is there much difference between the dyson V6, v7, and v8 that's worth going for?

It's amazing how many different bundles and versions there seems to be

Will probably get her one with the animal hair attachment.

Any brands/models other than Dyson worth going for?

Thanks all
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I have a black and decker dust buster flex which I love. It is a strange shape though.
The Dyson wasn't suitable for my mum, she couldn't use it due to arthritis in her hand. It has a trigger and she couldn't keep it pressed, it was also on the heavy side.

We went for the Gtec AirRam in the end and it's great.
I've just bought one of these - ebay.co.uk/itm…oXu Now showing out of stock but keep watching their ebay listings as they appear to list every few days.

Only cost £89.99 when I got it - called reconditioned but was brand new. They have sold over 500 of supposed reconditioned units so don't understand where they're getting them from but they really are a bargain.

I read many reviews before purchasing and like you started think I would get a Dyson until I found the Vax - has excellent reviews. Very pleased with ours - had it 3 weeks now and it still looks brand new! Easy to use and the empty the dust collection trap.
I have the vax blade. It's the best thing I have spent money on. So easy to use.
I've got the Dyson V6 Animal Extra.
The rotating brush picks up well I have to say but with the other attachments suction is really not on par with a corded vacuum cleaner.
I only use the rotating brush and that isn't good to vacuum at the edges of the carpet.

It needs to be emptied very often as well.

I think it's nicer to use than a corded one as it is lighter and no cord in the way but it's not as powerful as a decent corded one.
Thanks for all the replies, I'm definitely liking the look of the Vax Blade as an alternative idea, I see there is a regular version, a pro version and an ultra version, any idea what the differences are? Which did you get? Only difference I can see other than the colour is sometimes the extra pet brush head but that can be gotten easily in a collection of brush heads for £20ish

ebay.co.uk/itm…uUF
Did some more looking around, still can't see anywhere mentioning any difference between the different versions other than brushes and colour, one youtube comment mentioned they where different shapes but I don't believe that's right. I think they were just slightly different skus when they were first released and the prices of the pro and ultra just haven't come down in price like the regular 32v one has. So I decided to bite the bullet and ordered ebay.co.uk/itm…uUF + A brush kit for the pet brush ebay.co.uk/itm…W-h

Thanks for all your help guys, had been busy at work and struggled to find time to research them. You were a huge help and stress relief. Much appreciated.
Bres26 m ago

Did some more looking around, still can't see anywhere mentioning any …Did some more looking around, still can't see anywhere mentioning any difference between the different versions other than brushes and colour, one youtube comment mentioned they where different shapes but I don't believe that's right. I think they were just slightly different skus when they were first released and the prices of the pro and ultra just haven't come down in price like the regular 32v one has. So I decided to bite the bullet and ordered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vax-TBT3V1B1-Blade-32V-Lightweight-Cordless-Upright-Vacuum-Cleaner/142393916315?hash=item212756bb9b:g:Sx8AAOSwYvFZJuUF + A brush kit for the pet brush https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vax-Blade-Range-5-Piece-Pro-Cleaning-Tool-Kit-TBT3V1P1-Cordless-Accessories/362151916023?hash=item5451efb1f7:g:9coAAOSwyP5aAW-hThanks for all your help guys, had been busy at work and struggled to find time to research them. You were a huge help and stress relief. Much appreciated.

Yes - I agree with you re. the difference in the models - think it is just the "pet" tool and colours. The one you have bought is the same as mine - I'm sure you (& your Mum) will be happy with it. You're about the 10th person we've recommended it to - a bargain at this price. You'll be amazed how much these pick up!

The one caution I would add is learn how to remove/clean/replace the filters - these protect the motor and important that they are fitted correctly. It is possible to put them in the wrong way round and this would allow dust into the motor! We bought a set of replacement filters (the pre motor and foam) from the Vax website spares.vax.co.uk/vax…ner so that we can wash and dry one set whilst using the other.
Have a look at Shark ones - ive bought one of their uprights, and amazed at how good it is - best ive ever used, much better than the likes of dysons i use at work, or the henry i replaced my Shark with
Van19734 h, 23 m ago

Yes - I agree with you re. the difference in the models - think it is just …Yes - I agree with you re. the difference in the models - think it is just the "pet" tool and colours. The one you have bought is the same as mine - I'm sure you (& your Mum) will be happy with it. You're about the 10th person we've recommended it to - a bargain at this price. You'll be amazed how much these pick up!The one caution I would add is learn how to remove/clean/replace the filters - these protect the motor and important that they are fitted correctly. It is possible to put them in the wrong way round and this would allow dust into the motor! We bought a set of replacement filters (the pre motor and foam) from the Vax website http://spares.vax.co.uk/vax-blade-32v-cordless-vacuum-cleaner so that we can wash and dry one set whilst using the other.

Cheers, I hadn't thought about getting an extra set, had already checked the vax site and was thinking of ordering the flexible hose, if I do, I'll be sure to pick some filters up too
leeanne12313th Dec

Have a look at Shark ones - ive bought one of their uprights, and amazed …Have a look at Shark ones - ive bought one of their uprights, and amazed at how good it is - best ive ever used, much better than the likes of dysons i use at work, or the henry i replaced my Shark with

Shark cordless is nowhere near as good as Dyson cordless, as you can see in this video.

dz11 h, 37 m ago

Shark cordless is nowhere near as good as Dyson cordless, as you can see …Shark cordless is nowhere near as good as Dyson cordless, as you can see in this video.[Video]

Well, in my experience of using different models of Dyson, they are inferior to shark. I respect your opinion though
leeanne1233 h, 31 m ago

Well, in my experience of using different models of Dyson, they are …Well, in my experience of using different models of Dyson, they are inferior to shark. I respect your opinion though

No video proof, but I respect your opinion.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants