Any recommendations for a good laptop under £500 at the moment?

Posted 2nd Jun
Hi,

I'm looking a decent enough laptop with at least 8GB RAM and a good processor for under £500 preferably - would anyone have any recommendations? I made the mistake of picking up a Lenovo S145 recently, using my student discount, and it's been very disappointing. Cheap build quality and the screen is an awful TN.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
I think the Lenovo flex 5 is coming out with the Ryzen processor for under 600 soon it may be worth waiting if you can stretch, the ryzen is going to be really good
Barophobia02/06/2020 19:46

I think the Lenovo flex 5 is coming out with the Ryzen processor for under …I think the Lenovo flex 5 is coming out with the Ryzen processor for under 600 soon it may be worth waiting if you can stretch, the ryzen is going to be really good

Thanks for the quick reply. Bit of an urgent one for me as I have to get one sorted for work. Any other Lenovo's you'd recommend? I get student discount on their site luckily which helps.

So difficult trying to decide using this website when everyone seems to disagree...
bertiusmaximus02/06/2020 19:49

Thanks for the quick reply. Bit of an urgent one for me as I have to get …Thanks for the quick reply. Bit of an urgent one for me as I have to get one sorted for work. Any other Lenovo's you'd recommend? I get student discount on their site luckily which helps.So difficult trying to decide using this website when everyone seems to disagree...

I am kind of biased as at one point I was an engineer for Lenovo and HP but I will give you my thoughts
If it is for work the T series laptops are built around working. At the price point I would aim for i5 processor 8th gen or 10th gen, 8gb ram and a preferred form factor, keyboard style/typing comfort and mouse quality.

One of the deciding factors for me on laptops is the keyboard especially if you know you will be using it for work you will most likely be typing for extended periods so want a nice experience
Barophobia02/06/2020 19:55

I am kind of biased as at one point I was an engineer for Lenovo and HP …I am kind of biased as at one point I was an engineer for Lenovo and HP but I will give you my thoughtsIf it is for work the T series laptops are built around working. At the price point I would aim for i5 processor 8th gen or 10th gen, 8gb ram and a preferred form factor, keyboard style/typing comfort and mouse quality.One of the deciding factors for me on laptops is the keyboard especially if you know you will be using it for work you will most likely be typing for extended periods so want a nice experience

Thanks mate.

Thoughts on the following?
- lenovo.com/gb/…187
bertiusmaximus02/06/2020 20:02

Thanks mate.Thoughts on the following?- …Thanks mate.Thoughts on the following?- https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-c-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-C340-14IWL/p/88IPC301187

I would opt for the 8gb ram model but other than it looks like a solid choice to me!
I pen finally think the HP i5 privillion @ John Lewis. Why? It cones with a standard 3 years garantee. 2 in 1 (so itd a laptip and tablet, HD screen and 256 ssd, 8gb ram. £699. The granted is worthb£300 and you have the piece of mind that there will be no quibbles when and if it goes down. Big thing is HP are original Computer makes. Also this will last you approximately 6 years.
bertiusmaximus02/06/2020 20:02

Thanks mate.Thoughts on the following?- …Thanks mate.Thoughts on the following?- https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-c-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-C340-14IWL/p/88IPC301187

This was delivered yesterday for me, I needed something urgent as my current laptop took a terrible fall.

This one good build and I am impressed , I got 8gb ryzen version
RealOldMonk02/06/2020 23:45

This was delivered yesterday for me, I needed something urgent as my …This was delivered yesterday for me, I needed something urgent as my current laptop took a terrible fall. This one good build and I am impressed , I got 8gb ryzen version

What is the screen like on it? I'm a bit hesitant as it's a TN panel and the Lenovo I'm returning is TN also.
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 08:04

What is the screen like on it? I'm a bit hesitant as it's a TN panel and …What is the screen like on it? I'm a bit hesitant as it's a TN panel and the Lenovo I'm returning is TN also.

Mine has IPS

40957608-eBJ5c.jpg
RealOldMonk03/06/2020 09:19

Mine has IPS [Image]

Would be worth checking that, what's the part number? Think some of the higher end versions of it have IPS but the one Ryzen 5 one is TN I believe.
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 09:33

Would be worth checking that, what's the part number? Think some of the …Would be worth checking that, what's the part number? Think some of the higher end versions of it have IPS but the one Ryzen 5 one is TN I believe.

Oh.. why did you say that.. now I have doubt.. how to check if it’s IPS or TN ? Anything within settings ?
RealOldMonk03/06/2020 11:06

Oh.. why did you say that.. now I have doubt.. how to check if it’s IPS or …Oh.. why did you say that.. now I have doubt.. how to check if it’s IPS or TN ? Anything within settings ?

On your receipt you should have a part code, send me that and I'll check for you but I'm almost 100% sure it isn't IPS. 1920x1080 TN FHD Glare I believe. Only thing that's making me hesitate
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 11:13

On your receipt you should have a part code, send me that and I'll check …On your receipt you should have a part code, send me that and I'll check for you but I'm almost 100% sure it isn't IPS. 1920x1080 TN FHD Glare I believe. Only thing that's making me hesitate

81N600CTUK is it this ? It was MTM code on back of laptop , could not find anything in invoice
RealOldMonk03/06/2020 12:01

81N600CTUK is it this ? It was MTM code on back of laptop , could not find …81N600CTUK is it this ? It was MTM code on back of laptop , could not find anything in invoice

Sorry saw receipt it’s product SKU 81N600CTUK
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 12:45

Yep, TN display. Fire your part code into the search function on this …Yep, TN display. Fire your part code into the search function on this site...[Image] https://psref.lenovo.com/Compare

I called and confirmed with support, my model is 250nits IPS
RealOldMonk03/06/2020 14:38

I called and confirmed with support, my model is 250nits IPS

That's strange, not sure why they list it as TN then. Have you got it yet? If so, how's the screen quality?
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 14:58

That's strange, not sure why they list it as TN then. Have you got it yet? …That's strange, not sure why they list it as TN then. Have you got it yet? If so, how's the screen quality?

Just checked with the Lenovo team, if it's the AMD Ryzen 5 one you got, it's a TN screen. Seems the Intel/Nvidia ones are IPS.
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 16:01

Just checked with the Lenovo team, if it's the AMD Ryzen 5 one you got, …Just checked with the Lenovo team, if it's the AMD Ryzen 5 one you got, it's a TN screen. Seems the Intel/Nvidia ones are IPS.

Is there any way to check from settings ? This is worrying me now..
If it is that model you provided me, it's a TN screen. Don't mean to alarm you, just wouldn't want you mislead.
What's better TN or IPS?
This deal I just posted has an IPS screen, and faster delivery than the Lenovo laptops: hotukdeals.com/dea…182
bertiusmaximus03/06/2020 16:33

If it is that model you provided me, it's a TN screen. Don't mean to alarm …If it is that model you provided me, it's a TN screen. Don't mean to alarm you, just wouldn't want you mislead.

Lenovo has confirmed my model is IPS panel and I sent them the link which you shared.
I was told my model is 250 nits which is 100% IPS and they sent me a link which confirms the parts in my laptop
RealOldMonk04/06/2020 18:54

Lenovo has confirmed my model is IPS panel and I sent them the link which …Lenovo has confirmed my model is IPS panel and I sent them the link which you shared. I was told my model is 250 nits which is 100% IPS and they sent me a link which confirms the parts in my laptop

Ah ok, that's good then. They'd be worth updating the details on their website though. I opted for the Acer Nitro 5.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants