Any recommendations for a mattress topper

Posted 29th Dec 2019
the memory foam on my mattress is shot, doesn't rebound as much as it used to and I'm waking in agony every morning from pain on my pressure points. I can't really afford a new mattress so I'm looking for a memory foam topper. Sick of wading through reviews so thought I'd see if anyone here has bought one that they'd recommend
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
I just use a thick duvet
Toppers are generally designed to soften a hard mattress rather than even out a mattress you're sinking into too far, so I'd expect many to exacerbate the problem.

You need something stiff enough and thick enough that it'll spread the weight and bow less than the mattress underneath. Assuming you're talking about adding it rather than replacing the existing memory foam.
EndlessWaves29/12/2019 16:59

Toppers are generally designed to soften a hard mattress rather than even …Toppers are generally designed to soften a hard mattress rather than even out a mattress you're sinking into too far, so I'd expect many to exacerbate the problem. You need something stiff enough and thick enough that it'll spread the weight and bow less than the mattress underneath. Assuming you're talking about adding it rather than replacing the existing memory foam.

The springs are fine but the foam on one side of the mattress is not rebounding as you'd expect. I reckon having another 5cm of foam would help as the foam is not springing back, it's not massively uncomfortable just that I'm aching when I wake in the night and even more so the next morning
Arto29/12/2019 14:47

I just use a thick duvet

this is what I do
Mendoza29/12/2019 17:30

this is what I do

It’s cheaper and better than most toppers
Mendoza29/12/2019 17:30

this is what I do

Doesn't it get too hot though? I love being warm but the missus gets too hot and is restless so I wake up feeling like I've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson
Hammerheads2929/12/2019 17:31

Doesn't it get too hot though? I love being warm but the missus gets too … Doesn't it get too hot though? I love being warm but the missus gets too hot and is restless so I wake up feeling like I've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson

You just get a low tog for the top
Arto29/12/2019 17:38

You just get a low tog for the top

Ah ok

Doesn't it get too hot though? I love being warm but the missus gets too … Doesn't it get too hot though? I love being warm but the missus gets too hot and is restless so I wake up feeling like I've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson

Two singles then.

I mostly only use it in the Autumn/Winter months, so it’s so cosy
4" memory foam around £40 works a treat especially for what you are describing ebay.co.uk/sch…t=0
Just get a slab of foam lay it on top and put your cover on top. If not decent winter tog duvet will do the trick
I've got this one which is nice and comfortable.amazon.co.uk/dp/…h=1
It sounds painful , if you can stretch the budget IKEA do a great deal on their Morgedal mattress for £179 and will save you in the long run.
Edited by: "SCuboid" 30th Dec 2019
I have gone through the same problem. A topper doesn't really fix it long term, you are only postponing the inevitable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions