Any recommendations for for a cheapish media player box?

Found 15th Dec 2017Edited by:"Bres"
Hi all,

Have a friend at work who has a pretty basic older tv so has 0 smart features.
I was thinking of getting him an android media player box with USB support to bring him up to the times.
I was looking to spend £20-30 maybe a little more.

It's been a while since I was last looking into these and can't remember which were the chips to avoid. I think amlogic s905 and s912 were ok ones right?

Have had a look around on Amazon and can only seem to see 1gb ram models around the £30 mark, does anyone know of any bargains around for best bang for buck that I've not found?

Obviously somewhere that could deliver before Christmas would be ideal but he's not expecting a present so I suppose arriving late would be fine too.

Cheers for any help
Adam.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I use the Amazon firestick. Got it during black Friday for £25. I think it's around £30 now. I would recommend
This might be different than what you're looking for, but a Fire TV stick is a great idea as it has access to all the major catch-up services in the UK, which is great for someone without a smart tv.And being Android-based can also sideload other apps if required..
Firestick here is £24.95 using the code TDX-YHRG tesco.com/dir…655
I prefer the flexibility of an Android Box - far more options.

I have one of these .... gearbest.com/tv-…tml - very pleased with it.

Have been a lot cheaper - I only paid £23 for mine. Would not arrive in time for Xmas of course. Agree you need 2GB ram minimum.
If he just want to make his TV 'smart' then would a £15 Now TV box not be more suitable and easier to use?
Another vote for the fire stick. Use it regularly - Amazon prime and Netflix. It’s excellent.
Cheers all, seems there's a lot of love for the fire stick. Unfortunately I don't think it's the one for me on this occasion. My fault, but I should of said that I was looking for something with at least 1 USB socket as I backed up all his photos and videos off of his phone a while back and would be nice for him to be able to access them off of the USB stick I gave him.
Van197315th Dec

I prefer the flexibility of an Android Box - far more options.I have one …I prefer the flexibility of an Android Box - far more options.I have one of these .... https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_656048.html - very pleased with it.Have been a lot cheaper - I only paid £23 for mine. Would not arrive in time for Xmas of course. Agree you need 2GB ram minimum.

The Mecool M8S Pro was one of the boxes I was actually already having a look at, but just here instead geekbuying.com/ite…tml Certainly doesn't look like a bad box. No 5ghz WiFi unfortunately, does claim it can do 4k youtube and NetflixHD but not sure if that's worth believing. Have you tried either with yours?

Any other recommendations?
Thanks.
Bres26 m ago

The Mecool M8S Pro was one of the boxes I was actually already having a …The Mecool M8S Pro was one of the boxes I was actually already having a look at, but just here instead https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-Plus-4K-TV-Box-381461.html Certainly doesn't look like a bad box. No 5ghz WiFi unfortunately, does claim it can do 4k youtube and NetflixHD but not sure if that's worth believing. Have you tried either with yours?Any other recommendations?Thanks.

Should have mentioned that the Wifi connectivity is nor great - read this on several reviews and I found the same when I tried it. Does not bother me as i have an ethernet cable ran to behind the TV.

Not sure about the precise performance but the picture quality is superb. I have a basic Virginmedia package and the Mecool displays as good as any of the HD Virgin channels.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions